Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The M&P model with mag safety or the one without? What would you choose and why?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Without.

Unnecessary part. I don't feel the need for it on one of my pistols carried concealed for defense.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The only reason I can see is that if you open carry and someone tries to get it away from you, you can press the mag release and it won't fire. OTOH, if you aren't worried about retention or concealed carry, if the magazine release is hit accidently you can't even fire the chambered round.

·
Registered
941 Posts
K.I.S.S. Keep it stupidly simple. Just one more thing to worry about. A big "'no thanks" from me. What happens if I accidentally bump the mag release while in a firefight...well then I have a nice paperweight. I want the one in the chamber to go "boom" when I pull that bang switch. Keep your finger off the trigger, and it won't go off. Always point in a safe direction, and keep locked up when not on you or next to the bed. So...I don't see any need for such a device.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The only reason I can see is that if you open carry and someone tries to get it away from you, you can press the mag release and it won't fire. OTOH, if you aren't worried about retention or concealed carry, if the magazine release is hit accidently you can't even fire the chambered round.
This. My M&P40c has it because I found a local deal on it. I'd rather have it without.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If someone is trying to take my pistol from me, they are getting the business end of things, and dropping the magazine would be the LEAST of my worries. That shows intent to do hard IMO.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I got mine without the extra safety, I felt that this safety was absolutely unnecessary for me, but to each his own.

·
Registered
593 Posts
SD situation. You draw.. you have to fire... your mag wasn't seated... and it flies out.... but you got one in the tube.......

SD situation. You shoot.... you have to do a tactical mag change (one lefft in the tube)... as you're changing mags another BG goes after you.... but you still got one in the tube......

so which one you choose with mag safety or without?

·
Registered
521 Posts
K.I.S.S. Keep it stupidly simple. Just one more thing to worry about. A big "'no thanks" from me. What happens if I accidentally bump the mag release while in a firefight...well then I have a nice paperweight.
Carry a revolver if you want to keep it simple.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The MP40c without a mag safety is pretty much that simple.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
Without...you do have fingers, right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I sometimes carry a S&W 6906 with a mag safety. On one occasion, I returned home and took the gun off (IWB clip holster) and realized that the mag was not seated fully into the grip. In a worst case scenario, I would've drawn the gun, pulled the trigger and not even the chambered round would have fired. That one time was enough for me to decide that the downsides of having a mag safety outweigh any theoretical benefits. If we ever need a gun, we will need it now. Not 5 seconds from now, or after fumbling for a spare mag.

Was the mag safety invented for the purpose of preventing bullet setback from constantly re-chambering a round (for those who unload a weapon daily)? I don't really see the whole kung fu "hit the mag safety to disable a gun that has been taken from you" thing as anything more than fantasy. It might prevent someone from shooting themself while cleaning a gun too, but those are two scenarios in which a need for speed is not critical.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It could be a great feature if you slightly dropped the mag at bed time. What a great safety feature until you got bearings after being woken from a deep sleep.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To those of you that modify your guns, especially any of the safeties, Massad Ayoob wrote an article in Combat Hanguns Magazine in 2006 regarding a case where the prosecutor tried to paint a self defense shooter as wreckless and careless for disabling the magazine safety in a Browning Hi-power if I recall correct. With the liberal judges and a jury of people that might not be gun familiar you might have a problem. Same with trigger pull. Why not just buy the model without it if it is a feature you don't want. I'm just saying...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Without, I've never seen a decent reason to have one on a gun. If someone is trying to take your gun away from you, shoot them.

I'm not going to comment on removing the magazine disconnect.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I remember reading a story about a cop who ejected the magazine during a struggle and thus kept the attacker from firing it at him. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts