Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here own one the S&W model 40 lemon squeezers,the ones from their "classics" line? If so how do you like this snub nose? I'm thinking about one for carry and haven't seen one in person yet,i've heard they are very nicely done and have nice bluing if anyone here has one could you please post some pics and give your overall impression of this gun thanks.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I can't speak for the blued ones, but I have a nickle one. It's typical new J frame (read MIM internals) but mine has a nice trigger out of the box. I give a big thumbs down to the grips that came with mine. They were so poorly fitted to the frame that it was almost like a Barami hip-grip, I could almost fit the waistband of my pants between the wood and the frame. The aftermarket grips I had laying around the shop didn't fit because of the grip safety so I had to send the originals back for replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one. It is a carry for me and I love it. One of my favorites. I have a Glock I carry sometimes but truly prefer the S&W to most. Extremely reliable. Weighs 21oz (Best I recall.)While that seems heavy I like the weight.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Does it have that *&^% lock?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It really wouldn't surprise me at all... :smile:

With that said, ex-Model 40 owner, here.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Why ex-owner? Trouble with the gun or something that made it a non-keeper?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hello, Super.

My 40 ran great. I had no issues with it but felt it was too darn purrty for an EDC. It was in nickle with custom stags.

Here's a few pics...:

·
Banned
246 Posts
Some folks (me included) have a bit of difficulty getting the grip safety fully depressed when presenting during practice. Apparently this was an issue with the original Centennials as well, as they came with a pin to "pin down" the lever so it was always "on".

I rather doubt the new ones have this feature. The ability to deliberately de-activate a "safety mechanism" would have liability plaintiff attorneys salivating... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nope, no pin or pin hole on the new ones to lock out the grip safety. I have a nickle one, and it's a beauty. I pulled out the innards and stoned all the mating surfaces, replaced the springs with Wolffs, and installed Spegel Boot Grips. I carry it in a Renegade ankle rig pretty often. Very, very nice gun!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nickname

Sonny, the nickname comes from the grip required to depress the grip safety. Like squeezing a lemon to make lemonade. Actually, it isn't nearly as hard as squeezing a lemon, but it's 'cute' and therefore stuck.

The original 'lemon squeezer' was the S&W "Safety Hammerless" revolver from 1899 (yes, '1899') or so. I found a picture and brief write up on the old revolver on line by searching for 'Safety Hammerless'.

The second in the 'lemon squeezer' branch of the family was the Centennial (model 40 and 42 [airweight]) made from the middle 1950s or so until the great renumbering of the early '80s, to the best of my knowledge. Someone with greater access to the details may correct this if I'm wrong.

Why did Smith & Wesson decide a revolver needed a grip safety? I have no idea. It must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Sonny, the nickname comes from the grip required to depress the grip safety. Like squeezing a lemon to make lemonade. Actually, it isn't nearly as hard as squeezing a lemon, but it's 'cute' and therefore stuck.

The original 'lemon squeezer' was the S&W "Safety Hammerless" revolver from 1899 (yes, '1899') or so. I found a picture and brief write up on the old revolver on line by searching for 'Safety Hammerless'.

The second in the 'lemon squeezer' branch of the family was the Centennial (model 40 and 42 [airweight]) made from the middle 1950s or so until the great renumbering of the early '80s, to the best of my knowledge. Someone with greater access to the details may correct this if I'm wrong.

Why did Smith & Wesson decide a revolver needed a grip safety? I have no idea. It must have seemed like a good idea at the time.
ahh ok I see it now,dunno why they added that saftey but OK got it

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hello, Super.

My 40 ran great. I had no issues with it but felt it was too darn purrty for an EDC. It was in nickle with custom stags.

Here's a few pics...:

On the sontrary, sir! That one is too pretty not to carry. I'd have to keep it for a BBQ gun if nothing else.:smile:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Supposedly the grip safety was a way to make it "child proof". I made sure my grip safety disengages reliably when I was doing the trigger job. It doesn't take much movement of the grip to disengage now.

That is a pretty BBQ gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts