Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have anything real negative to say about these little pistols? I found this at the E.P.S. this morning and I think I will go get it Monday morning, I can walk it out the door for $350, it has an extra mag and a case with it too

·
Vendor
1,560 Posts
I personally love those models and with the non poylmer lowers they seem to have less felt recoil.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
They are well made pistols with the caveat +P+ & +P ammo will damage it. Other than that go for it if you like it!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I liked the one I had and carried it with some 15 round mags.
469 5.jpg
Here is a 15 round with sleeve.
S&W 469.jpg
I found some Uncle Mike's grips to replace the plastic as well.
They do take the 5900 series 15 round mags and Mec-Gar makes some good aftermarket mags too.

I found this 2nd gen just as bullet proof as every 3rd gen I have owned which is a bunch.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Great guns!

I tend towards 2nd and 3rd Gen variations with rounded trigger guards (aesthetics) and ambidextrous safeties (lefty), but there is NOTHING wrong with a square guard single side safety 469.

If somebody offered me a Glunk 19 or the 469, it wouldn't be a contest- 469 all the way!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well things went like this , I unloaded the Taurus M85 and wondered up to the pawn shop this morning to get rid of it and I ended up with someones old sock drawer S&W 469 ( meaning this thing was bought sometime in the mid to late 80s, had a few mags of ammo run through it and was tossed in a sock drawer or nightstand and not touched again, I figure a spouse or child found it after the owner was gone and decided to get rid of it,) it is very clean and low milage, tight as a tick, and had all the original paperwork and tools with it in the original box, I tore it down looked it over, lubed it and walked out to my range and put 10 round through it for a function check, very smooth double action, crisp single action, fromm 10 yards I hit the target with all 10 although my group sucked, lol, I think a little trigger time will tighten that up,, all in all not bad for a .38 Taurus and a $150

It fit right in my Sig P6/P225 holster

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I carried one for a while as a young Narc back in the day. I had no negative issues with mine. Wish I still had it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yesterday I was in hiking shorts with really big pockets just bumming around so I put the S&W in a Remora and pocket carried it all day

had my Levi shorts on today and was working on installing plumbing drops in the cabin , had the S&W riding about 3:30 in the leather

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have two. Both were total beaters that had been police-confiscated weapons, and I purchased each for a super low price. They cleaned up and work great. One had some rust pitting on the slide, so I bought a stainless slide from a Model 669 and made it a two-tone.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mags, barrel and other parts

I have 12 round magazines (blue and stainless), new magazine springs, new followers and floor plate for the 69XX series. I even have a brand new barrel for the series as well as brand new recoil springs, etc.
If interested, please contact me with a PM.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 12 round magazines (blue and stainless), new magazine springs, new followers and floor plate for the 69XX series. I even have a brand new barrel for the series as well as brand new recoil springs, etc.
If interested, please contact me with a PM.
PM sent

·
Registered
807 Posts
The first S&W 469's I saw were issued to Colorado State Patrol officers assigned to the governor's detail, about 1983 or so. I liked the concept so I put in an order through the state purchasing agency and received one for myself (investigator for a state agency). Carried it for several years and found it to be completely reliable and quite accurate despite the compact size. Double-stack magazine makes the grip-frame a bit chunky (I think of it as a "blocky" feel in the hand) and it helps to have long fingers to control the trigger. Decocker/safety is a positive design that becomes habitual with a little experience. Field-stripping for routine maintenance is a little clumsy the first few times, but becomes easier with experience.

Holsters have always been an issue. Very few mainstream holster makers offered anything. Being a holster maker myself, that posed no big problems, although this was one of my first experiences with a short, compact, lightweight pistol with most of the weight contained within the grip-frame with loaded magazine (a challenge in holster design that is usually best served by a high-ride pancake-style for comfort and concealment with reasonably good accessibility).

Magazines: standard mag is a 12-round double-stack single-feed design with hooked floor plate providing a pinky finger grip. The 469 will accept and function with any of the S&W 9mm mags intended for the 59/69/5900/6900 series of pistols, but the larger capacity mags will extend below the bottom of the grip-frame (there were adapters offered to slip over the mag body and essentially extend the grip for larger hands, I think Pachmayr and/or Uncle Mike's offered those).

Mine went away years ago, but I still think highly of the 469 (and companion stainless 669) pistols. Very good general purpose defensive handguns. I think $350 is a pretty fair price for what the OP has shown.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts