Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Here's a review of a great little J-frame revolver I've had in my collection for over 20 years. If you happen across a used one, take a good look at it. They are just as good today as when they were manufactured back in the 1990's. Be sure to let me know what you think of the 940 and the video!

HRF

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Great video sir :hand10: , I forgot about the 9mm j-frame...

Reactions: hrfunk

·
Registered
6,310 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,757 Posts
I don't think I ever experienced that. Was it with the heavier bullets?

HRF
115 grain range ammo. The semi ammo doesn't have the same crimp as traditional revolver ammo has.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I had a Ruger LCR 9 .. I never had any crimp problems with it .... But I guess results vary , depending on what brand of ammo you are shooting ..

Best I can recall most ammo I used was standard pressure ...

·
Registered
281 Posts
S&W Model 940-The forgotten J-frame Centennial

I had a Ruger LCR 9 .. I never had any crimp problems with it .... But I guess results vary , depending on what brand of ammo you are shooting ..

Best I can recall most ammo I used was standard pressure ...
You have to try some +p. Edit- this is from a 16oz LCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Nothing "wrong" with your video. Yet, IMHO, your enthusiasm is, uhhhh...misplaced. 9mm in a 5 shot, j-frame (sized) revolver?

S&W tried & quit.
Ruger tried & quit.
Charter Arms tried & quit.
Taurus tried & quit.

That's enough reason(s) for me not to try.

9mm is for self-shuckers. .38 spl. is for wheel guns. :yup:

·
Registered
Various
15,510 Posts
Great review video, except I don't like short-barrel, five-shot, double-action only revolvers or revolvers in semi-auto calibers. I prefer single-action capable, six-shot, four-inch minimum barrel revolvers in big bore calibers. My wife carried an S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum for many years until her arthritis got so bad, she needed both index fingers to pull the trigger at the range. She traded it for a Sig P938 9mm for concealed carry.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm likely in the minority in liking the 9MM revolvers. I have a 940 and Ruger SP-101, and had others. I've done some chronographing with these little guns, and some 9MM ammo is a bit more energetic than some might be aware of. Quite a bit more energetic than any 38+P I've tested, and closer to .357 ballistics in a 2" gun than to 38+P. So less recoil and muzzle blast than .357, and more power than any 38+P I've tried.

Reference the bullet pull issue, I did some very informal testing with my lightest 9MM revolver, the 2" 940. I tested the Federal HST 124 grain +P. After 8 rounds fired, the bullet moved ~.050" forward. I didn't expect this, but that's what it was. The same test with Winchester Q4318 124 grain NATO and IMI 124 grain NATO only produced ~.002" bullet movement. Most of my 9MM revolvers have been heavier, Ruger Blackhawks and S&W 547s, but any bullet pull that may have occurred, has never caused an issue with reliable function in any 9MM revolver I've owned....ymmv

·
Premium Member
33,757 Posts
I'm likely in the minority in liking the 9MM revolvers. I have a 940 and Ruger SP-101, and had others. I've done some chronographing with these little guns, and some 9MM ammo is a bit more energetic than some might be aware of. Quite a bit more energetic than any 38+P I've tested, and closer to .357 ballistics in a 2" gun than to 38+P. So less recoil and muzzle blast than .357, and more power than any 38+P I've tried.

Reference the bullet pull issue, I did some very informal testing with my lightest 9MM revolver, the 2" 940. I tested the Federal HST 124 grain +P. After 8 rounds fired, the bullet moved ~.050" forward. I didn't expect this, but that's what it was. The same test with Winchester Q4318 124 grain NATO and IMI 124 grain NATO only produced ~.002" bullet movement. Most of my 9MM revolvers have been heavier, Ruger Blackhawks and S&W 547s, but any bullet pull that may have occurred, has never caused an issue with reliable function in any 9MM revolver I've owned....ymmv
I truly wanted to love my 940. I really did. The problem is, when I speak of crimp jump in mine, I'm talking out-of-service malfunctions, not a couple thousandths caused by cheap ammo. The good news is that when I do decide to sell it, I will double what I paid for it, user disclosure nothwithstanding.

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Registered
53 Posts
good point, that's why I don't like pistol ammo chambered revolvers, no crimp on the rounds, takes the reliability of the revolver out.
Do You actually own one? I notice you make a lot of negative comments about certain firearms but I never see or hear your personal experience with said gun. I do have a 9mm revolver and have been shooting it for over two years. Crimp jump on a 9mm revolver is a standard internet band wagon response for a lot of folks that do not own them. Yes, you can get crimp jump on certain ammo. Mostly the cheap stuff. However it is not hard to quickly sort out the ammo that fails and the ammo that works just fine. I have shot the LCR9mm for thousands of rounds and cannot even recall this happening other than when first new. And your comment "takes the reliability of the revolver out" is the standard hype you see so much. Simply not true. In fact, the gun has proven itself to be totally reliable with quality ammo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts