Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here in the peoples republic of kalifournia we can not buy a springfield XDs unless a leo wants to sell his gun.
so i am looking at a s$w s&p shield. (not sure 9mm or .40) due to how many each gun holds.
so i can use a bit of knowledge from those who know and own this gun. what say you about it?
is the s&p shield worth the $530. usd? (out the door price.. almost $80.usd in "fees" and taxes.)

·
Registered
887 Posts
$530??...... wow Can buy them all day long for $399 or less around here. Look online, can get some good deals on them. My EDC is the Shield 40, shoots well, easily concealed. Shield is a very popular carry gun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the price i quoted is out the door, so includes all taxes, and state fees.
but yes this store is not know for being the lowest around (jackson, Ca).

lets see.
$100.usd less.
jackson is less then 20 miles from here, and i go there every week.
stanislaus county. pushing 80-90 miles away two trips? as 17 mpg.
now if i can get a sub $800.usd price on a henery lever in 45-70 at the same shop. (with a scope), (out the door) then worth the drive.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/45-70-lever-action/

holmes375: you live in a free world, we have this cr40 called "safe hand gun list" every year there are less hand guns models available to be sold in Ca.

but this thread has nothing to do with the price.
question is about the gun. good and bad about it.

·
Banned
28 Posts
The 9mm holds 7-8+1 rounds and the .40 holds 6-7+1 rounds. There are two different sized magazines - flush and extended. The flush would most likely give you no place for a pinky without a grip extension. Also, these magazines can receive a magguts +1 kit so you would be looking at a total of 10 rounds and 9 rounds for the 9mm and the .40 respectively if using magguts and extended magazine.

If I were you I would also factor in the cost of some type grip enhancement like Talon grips or Hogue grip cover (cheap) and possibly the cost of an Apex trigger. A lot of people complain about the triggers and others have no issues with them. You would probably have to see for yourself. Personally, I started off with no problem but as I shot more pistols after I acquired the Shield, the Shield's trigger began to seem like a problem but really I think enhancing the grip helped the most (Hogue grip cover). The grip is so thin that it breeds instabilty when you pull the trigger especially if your hand is larger.

I would recommend the 9mm over the .40 only because I have heard the .40 is a little muzzle flippy on this gun but in general I like .40 fine. Also since capacity is at a premium with single stacks, you may want the extra round that the 9mm offers. If you want to go bigger you might want to look at the new Shield in .45 which I heard shoots as well or better than the .40 model and offers a more aggresive grip.

Just to make things easier for yourself, be aware that it is an M&P Shield not S&P.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
leave it to my fat fingers to hit the wrong keys. of late i have been doing a lot of tyops. reversing letters etc. i had not caught that mistake. but i did put the dollar sign in the "s&w" for a reason. (pay more for a "name" item).

yes to hogue grips and my hands are large, and knuckles even bigger (arthritis).

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
leave it to my fat fingers to hit the wrong keys. of late i have been doing a lot of tyops. reversing letters etc. i had not caught that mistake. but i did put the dollar sign in the "s&w" for a reason. (pay more for a "name" item).

yes to hogue grips and my hands are large, and knuckles even bigger (arthritis).
A good neighbor friend of mine, with whom I go shooting on occasions, at my recommendation purchased an M&P9 Shield late last year. He is a large man with large hands and has some arthritis in his hands and weak thumbs. He shoots his Shield very well and loves it.

I have two of them in 9mm; one with the external safety and one without. Since you have arthritis, I would not recommend the Shield in .40S&W. I owned one a while back and it has punishing felt recoil for those with sore joints or arthritis. You might want to consider this in your purchase.

BTW, the Shield is an excellent gun for deeper concealment and carries beautifully in the DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I have 2 of them. One w/ safety one w/o safety. I love them and I tried the G-43 prior to purchasing my first Shield. It is my go-to CCW. Good luck!

·
Banned
429 Posts
I have two M&P Shields.
Not sure what an S&P is.
My 40 was 399 out the door back in 12 when they were fresh.
My new 45 was 449 out the door.

Would like to see your S&P if you score one.
Or more likely your M&P.

I Live For Myself and I Answer to No One.

·
8,501 Posts
I'll not comment on price but perhaps you should shoot the Shield in .40 cal first, before you buy one. Most of the folks that I know prefer the 9mm version due to its better shootability and less snappy recoil.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
887 Posts
One thing I found with my Shield 40, I added Talon Grips and it made a big difference in accuracy, especially on those follow up shots.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
^ this. I use the mini scabbard for OWB carry. Shields are going for $419 here. All in all, good bang to buck ratio.
One of our local shops sells the Shield for $379 (they may have recently increased this to $389).

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Got mine for $340 + $20 transfer for $360 total. CA is trying to price people out of buying firearms it seems... U don't even want to know how much Sigs cost there..
Lowest price in my county is $324.99. But you have to be military (current or former), LEO, or security to get that price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pistols are in short supply now, with the "safe gun law" any change to how a pistol is made it goes OFF list. (say a part was cast, now machined) OFF list.
NO pistol can get back on the list till it has a not possible tech installed on it (micro stamping).
backdoor guy probations deal. buy making it so nobody except the police and the politically connected can buy a gun.
now this semi-auto crab, making any rifle with a detachable mag a machine gun. thus illegal.
and, making it a crime to even own any mag that can hold more than 10 rounds.
and then the ammo buyers card. all purchases' must go through a FFL with a doj back ground check.... maybe even a 10 day wait to get that box of 20 rounds for hunting. just like a law that was put in place back in nazi germany.

·
Banned
429 Posts
I'll not comment on price but perhaps you should shoot the Shield in .40 cal first, before you buy one. Most of the folks that I know prefer the 9mm version due to its better shootability and less snappy recoil.
Pfft I call BS.
I have a 40'and a 45 shield
I have shot the 9mm version.
To me the felt recoil was less on the 45 than the 40 and compared to the 9 the difference is very negligible and very controllable with proper technique and that little thing we all need more of practice.

Shot all three side by side you will be surprised how much myth is behind the 9/40/45 recoil debate.

·
8,501 Posts
Pfft I call BS.
I have a 40'and a 45 shield
I have shot the 9mm version.
To me the felt recoil was less on the 45 than the 40 and compared to the 9 the difference is very negligible and very controllable with proper technique and that little thing we all need more of practice.

Shot all three side by side you will be surprised how much myth is behind the 9/40/45 recoil debate.

Call it BS or anything else you'd like. I merely suggested the guy test drive the thing if he can in order to have a more educated opinion before he plunks down his hard earned cash.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts