Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in this gun. But, I really haven't heard anything pro or con one way or the other about them. I have to say, I've held one and I really like the feel of it. The grip angle is good, much better than the Glock of which I own a few but never carry because they just don't fit my hand.

If anyone owns one of these S&W SD9VE's out there I'd really love to hear from you. I can get one for about $350 brand new in the box and that would be great.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Reactions: TN_Mike

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the SD40VE and love it. For the money it can't be beat. Very reliable and shoots well. Even the wife loves it.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a big fan of Hickcock45 and I trust his reviews. I have to say, this is pretty much what I expected. Like I said, I've handled one and I liked it. Nice to see him fire one and put it through its paces. I believe I may have to pick one up.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I have the SW40ve eats anything I feed it. easily concealable at least for me iwb just under a t shirt. fairly stiff trigger but no worse than than average da revolver. Smooths up as you fire it.

The pistol is an excellent example of what it was designed to be. A striker fired no external safety combat sd pistol. Plenty accurate for SD work. You can buy a lot more expensive guns but if you looking for a good dependable does what it was built for pistol for SD they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is a video I made wen I took my oldest daughter and my son-in-law to the range. The SD40VE starts at 1:12 minutes but if you start it at the beginning you will see the Automag-II in action. They both ahd a lot of fun and put a lot of holes in the paper.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I am very interested in this gun. But, I really haven't heard anything pro or con one way or the other about them. I have to say, I've held one and I really like the feel of it. The grip angle is good, much better than the Glock of which I own a few but never carry because they just don't fit my hand.

If anyone owns one of these S&W SD9VE's out there I'd really love to hear from you. I can get one for about $350 brand new in the box and that would be great.
You would not be throwing your money away if that's what you mean. I had one in .40 S&W, and wish I still had it. Another one of my stupid gun trades.:35:

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
The SD9 is a capable handgun....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I rented one at the range a few months back as I was looking at an SD40. Solid gun for the money. In the full size, sub-$400 range it pretty much takes the cake. I would have picked it up, but it was in the heat of the panic and the LGS raised the price from $340 to $400. I opted to instead get the Ruger SR9 for about $25 more. I felt like the ergonomics and fit/finish were better on the Ruger, and its price was not nearly as inflated.

·
Registered
357 Posts
These S&W pistols are inexpensive and are easy to shoot, very reliable and when you pay $299.00 like I did you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My son has one. I've shot it a little, and would definitely buy one. Feed everything it's been fed so far, easy to clean, very Glock-like. Trigger seems to be a bit of an improvement, not too bad. Buy it, the price is definitely right, the original SD line has a good rep. I wouldn't buy it to drive tacks, but I think it's a solid defensive weapon.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, as of yet I haven't heard any negatives about the gun from any of you. And to me, that means a lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the SD40VE with an Apex Tactical spring kit. Reduces the trigger weight from 8 lbs to 5 or so. Still has a long pull but lighter. I really like the gun. Factor in the price and it is a great deal.

·
Registered
699 Posts
They are not bad at all for a budget firearm. I didn't like the heavy trigger though.. YMMV

I do like the Smith, but I'd like to second your tag - the Ruger MKIII 22/45 has caused me to think impure things while trying to break it down, but It's a hoot to shoot, and I hope to find some inexpensive decent .22lr sometime in the future.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I carry the Sigma 40VE. Had it for about a year & the trigger has smoothed out. Still not perfection but the price was right & it just keeps shooting & shooting.

·
Registered
18,792 Posts
Mike, I don't care for them, but, they do seem to work well enough, and that is a good price. You could do much worse.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Unlike many I have no problems with SD or for that matter the SW series. I've owned both and finally got the SW40 back and I intend to keep it. I don't get hung up on trigger action. As long as the firearm is reliable I am good to go with it.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I have no personal experience with them but I'd put them in the same category as the Ruger P95. Good low cost guns that aren't the fanciest but will do the job.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts