Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

To anyone else who has a 9mm shield, does your ejector look like this??

I just got to cleaning the gun after shooting a couple hundred rounds this past weekend and I don't remember that being like that before....pistol functioned fine while shooting, but I want to be sure as this is a carry gun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't have a Shield, so I can't say.

:embarassed:

Mrs 2nd has a Shield with safety tho ;-) What you call the ejector is 100% straight when viewed from left, right, and aft. No "ramp" towards the front as on your specimen. This one has eaten probably close to 1000 rounds of pure standard 9 mm: brass 115 FMJ regular P, with just a few of the 135 Critical Duty for validation. No cases of 147, +P+ or +P etc.

Summary: sumpin a little off with yours.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if you have your manual handy, it will have a pic of that and it's straight. If you can't find your manual, they're available online, which is what I just looked at.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone, very helpful!

Did you happen to use the 8 round mag without the sleeve?
Yes I did! I carry it that way because I don't want that sleeve ridding up in my pocket and making it difficult to load the mag in an emergency, is that what caused this??

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for all the replies everyone, very helpful!

Yes I did! I carry it that way because I don't want that sleeve ridding up in my pocket and making it difficult to load the mag in an emergency, is that what caused this??
The only time I have seen a bent ejector like that is when someone uses an extended mag without the sleeve. If it bends much more it will start to malfunction. S&W will fix it for you. It is a shortcoming of their design. I have the M&P9c and it has the same problem if you use the 17 round mag without a sleeve. Of course it effects some people more than others depending on how hard you slam it home. The sleeves are a pain but it is best to use them with those pistols.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! I definitely will from now on. Never gave using it without the sleeve a second thought. Anyone know of any other pistols that are like this? I have an xd mod 2 I was planning to do the same thing with...don't want to bend that extractor too...

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out.

I gave your post a like - just for the picture of ballistol in the back ground. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thank you! I definitely will from now on. Never gave using it without the sleeve a second thought. Anyone know of any other pistols that are like this? I have an xd mod 2 I was planning to do the same thing with...don't want to bend that extractor too...
I have M&P, Kahr, and Springfield pistols and only the M&P does this. I can't find the original video I saw on this but below is a link to a video (not one done very well, but you will get the idea) that shows what the problem is. You can probably use this same type test on other pistols to see if there may be a possibility of a problem.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts

I just checked with my Mod 2, and it looks about the same as the Shield. It should be fine though as long as you don't slap it in extremely hard. The problem exist with the Shield and not with other gun with the same design is because it takes more force to insert a full mag with the Shield than with XDs, Glocks, etc, so people have the tendency to use more force.

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

You can also see that the ejector on the XD is substantially more stout than the one used on the Shield. It'll probably take a more force than you'd reasonably would ever put on it to bend the XD's extractor in the same way.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
... just for the picture of ballistol in the back ground. :rolleyes:
Reb, it takes a keen eye to spot the Ballistol in that fuzzy focus. Yet my NOSE identified it, even in the... photo! :hand5:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I actually just saw a video on this issue. It's from over inserting the magazine, especially when using the 8 round with out the sleeve.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Could Shield owners (including me) simply put a drop of Super glue/gorilla glue on the sleeve to secure it?

·
Registered
713 Posts
That's an easy fix! Learned it here on DC but cant remember who told me. Just go to home depot an a pack of velcro that comes in strips 3 1/2in by 3/4in and cut a small peace of the fuzzy stuff and stick it on the mag. at the bottom so the sleeve rides over it nice and tight and it wont slide up the mag. when its in your pocket. Worked great for the 17rd. mag. for my SR9c!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I generally carry a Shield with the 7 round mag and an 8 rounder either in a belt pouch or a knife pocket on my cargo pants. I have never had a sleeve move more than 1/4" from the base plate no matter how I carry it. Insert the mag, give it a rap, and it's seated. I have never understood the aggravation some people experience over something so minor. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts