Defensive Carry banner

S&W Warranty good experience

300 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ctr
Got a new model 60 back in December. Insides were a mess with rust and a bent cylinder bolt from the factory. Received the revolver back today.

Will caveat that I am old. My expectations for customer service are high based on what I know to be possible from decades ago. So from today's standard they did ok. From a perspective of S&W 40 years back middling.

S&W refinished the frame to remove the rust inside and replaced the internals including the badly rusted hammer. Looks 100%.

They replaced the cylinder bolt but still rocked though slight now. Thinking the gunsmiths are forcing the part into position causing bending. Don't see how else to explain it.

I had a spare bolt so went ahead and replaced it since the frame was open. Probably could have made a dozen or so passes on the end with a file. Cylinder opening is a little rough to get started but it will wear in with a few thousand rounds. The release no longer rocks and sits where it should.

The screws were loose so good thing I did check. The screw on the release latch was lose as well. That and the bolt are really the only things I can fault. Insides had a few metal dust bits which is normal. Action is smooth. They even kept the front sight post which I had painted. They put a lawyer lock back in which is gone again.

Want to run a hundred rounds thru the revolver before signing off on it but shoild be good going forward.

Thank you Smith & Wesson for making it right.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds more like you made it right.
Only sent it back because of the rust. Otherwise would have done the whole job myself.

Reactions: matthew03

· Registered
12,146 Posts
I have been happy with s&w

One time I had a issue with a recalled firearm ( mind you however we are talking like a 1980s era recall ) and it was not a life or death one so to speak just a issue with some ammo in some guns .So pretty much firg they would say yeah no or it will cost money now ..Nope took care of it no issue and for free so that was nice

Other time a rather shady gun broker seller who shall not be named s&w 38 wheel gun that was sold as like new ...Other then the hairline crack that would prob have blow the gun apart which was not mentioned or shown in any photos ( they all seem to miss that part ) ... well s&w said well the gun is from the 50s we dont carry the parts anymore and legally we cant send it back as well it is unsafe to fire or have ..But they offered me credit on pretty much any gun I wanted to replace it ..Which I think while sure selling a gun was a nice gesture as again this gun was prob 1940s-1950 era gun and long out of warrenty ( and this was not really a gun smith fix thing it was a major crack) ..So got a nice new wheel gun out of it for a good price

So I been happy with s&w they seem to stand by there stuff

· Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been happy with s&w

One time I had a issue with a recalled firearm ( mind you however we are talking like a 1980s era recall ) and it was not a life or death one so to speak just a issue with some ammo in some guns .So pretty much firg they would say yeah no or it will cost money now ..Nope took care of it no issue and for free so that was nice

Other time a rather shady gun broker seller who shall not be named s&w 38 wheel gun that was sold as like new ...Other then the hairline crack that would prob have blow the gun apart which was not mentioned or shown in any photos ( they all seem to miss that part ) ... well s&w said well the gun is from the 50s we dont carry the parts anymore and legally we cant send it back as well it is unsafe to fire or have ..But they offered me credit on pretty much any gun I wanted to replace it ..Which I think while sure selling a gun was a nice gesture as again this gun was prob 1940s-1950 era gun and long out of warrenty ( and this was not really a gun smith fix thing it was a major crack) ..So got a nice new wheel gun out of it for a good price

So I been happy with s&w they seem to stand by there stuff
My experiences have been positive, all recalls until now. This gun should never have left the factory last year but things happen I guess. Somebody probably had a soda on the workbench and just blew it off with air hence the rust. Will never really know. Saw another revolver last year with a bent rod straight from the factory and took a hard pass on that one.

The one time S&W really screwed up was that PPK recall business.

They do make good products and the warranty is good. QA could use some improvement.

· Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Production challenges. They sold over a half million firearms in 2019 and sales have increased 140 percent year over year. So maybe just shy of 2 million for 2022? Assembling a revolver takes more skill, training, and experience than most autos. Bound to be some lemons. But the obvious ones should not roll out just to meet production quotas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts