Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to pick up a 908 for a steal of a price so I jumped on it. I previously owned the second gen S&W 469, but had traded it off. My father in law got the 457, the 45acp version of this "Value Series", last spring for a great deal at a gun show (yeah, I know how often does that happen?).

Anyways, for $220 that included a total of 3 mags not to mention a less than desirable nylon holster, I picked up my first 3rd gen S&W auto. I'm a little thrilled that it's covered under S&W's lifetime warranty (from what I understand all 3G's are). It's a very slim gun! Slimmer than my Sig P239 and lighter as well. It's not quite as thin as my Kahr, but not many guns are. I still need to give it a good cleaning as it's barrel looks like it may have been a little neglected. It's definitely not a looker, but as a working gun it sure looks the part. Not as nicely finished as the 3913 and containing a few *gasp* plastic parts, the 908's still has a good feel. This week I'm planning on taking it to the range to give it a little workout and see how well it operates. If all goes well, it will then move into the rotation.

Pictures...of course...

My view is, if you can find a pistol in a fighting caliber from a name brand maker for under $250 that works then it's a good value. Any blemishes to the finish are marks of character.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That was indeed a "steal". The 908, while not my favorite 9mm compact, has a very nice trigger, has a competent, solid feel to it, has proven very reliable and is a very nice size for concealment. My only regret is not getting the stainless model.

Nice find. Enjoy your newly stolen 908. :image035:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
That's a nice pickup, great job......give us a range report ASAP!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like the traditional compact Smith & Wesson pistols, though I haven't seen many people carrying them since the 90s. A good friend of mine carried a 908 on the job for a few years before retiring, and was very satisfied with the 908.

My favorite things about the 908 are its concealability, snag-free edges, double-action trigger, and ergonomics.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I have shot both the 908 and 457...very nice pickup.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Hey that's a great find.

The blemishes just mean that you don't have to obsess about the first one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
***Range Report!!!***

Ok, just got back from my lunchtime range after running the 908 through the paces. I put a little over 100 rounds through it with a few hp's to check feeding. I came away liking it very much. I brought my Sig along to compare triggers and sights. I'm a big fan of the "dot the i" as with three dot sights I tend to miss the middle dot when quickly acquiring the target. The 908 lines up very instinctively so I didn't have too much of a problem with it when doing double taps. Accuracy was similar to my Sig. I'm no master marksman so both of these weapons are more accurate than I am. I can easily do head shots at 10 yards so take that for what it's worth.

The trigger is pretty smooth and very different than my previous 469 primarily in DA. Mostly because the 469 employed a half cock notch which you could feel as you pulled through DA. Compared to the Sig trigger it feels a tad lighter and just a hair less smooth, though it is a shorter pull than the Sig.

Overall, I'm very satisfied and think I got much more than my money's worth.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Nice addition! I'm thinking that'll get a lot of use too! :wink:

·
Registered
862 Posts
great deal!!! i love my 3913 i won't lie to you but i think you'll enjoy and love the 908 just as much as you would a 3913! I'm glad this one found a good home.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a difference a few ozs make! I decided to strap the 908 on the hip today instead of the P239. It fits the Crossbreed SuperTuck for the Sig perfectly which is a nice bonus. Loaded the Sig hovers just over 33oz while the 908 is just over 27oz. I can definitely tell the difference!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
What a difference a few ozs make! I decided to strap the 908 on the hip today instead of the P239. It fits the Crossbreed SuperTuck for the Sig perfectly which is a nice bonus. Loaded the Sig hovers just over 33oz while the 908 is just over 27oz. I can definitely tell the difference!
Yep. To those of us that are weight sensitive a few ounces makes a huge difference. I just recently switched from carrying a PT709 to the 908. The 908 is a bit heavier but still lighter and thinner then everything else I have. Very comfortable to carry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, and I like a gun I can really get my hands around. The only reason I like carrying my PM9 is because it's so easy too. If it came down to putting shots on target, I'm a lot more confident with the 908!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts