Defensive Carry banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm on the fence regarding trigger type for my first CCW. I really like the idea of the LEM and I think DA/SA would be very good as well. I understand LEM but for DA/SA (like a Sig P229), if I insert a full mag and don't charge the pistol will it fire? I assume not but I want to confirm. If not, then I'd need to insert mag, charge pistol, then decock to leave the pistol in DA mode for CCW? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I'm on the fence regarding trigger type for my first CCW. I really like the idea of the LEM and I think DA/SA would be very good as well. I understand LEM but for DA/SA (like a Sig P229), if I insert a full mag and don't charge the pistol will it fire? I assume not but I want to confirm. If not, then I'd need to insert mag, charge pistol, then decock to leave the pistol in DA mode for CCW? Thanks.
I'm unaware of any pistol that will fire if there isn't a round chambered (charged).

But a DA/SA definitely won't.

And yes, you have the sequence correct for a traditional Sig; insert mag, charge pistol, decock and holster.

Reactions: BigHairyGobbler

·
Registered
5 Posts
Call me paranoid, but I always carry my guns in suitcases like this. The exceptions are revolvers, I'm always sure of them, I don't know how such a mechanism can fail at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First let’s clear this up: SA and SAO mean the same thing. SAO may better emphasize that this is the only way a gun can be shot, but that is also at least implied by SA.
I half agree. I still like to use SA to refer to my P229's DA/SA single action pull and SAO when referring to a P229 SAO because the SA of a DA/SA is not SAO by definition because it has a DA option. Likewise, a P229 Legion SAO does not have a DA option. It's also in my opinion why it is called DA/SA and not DA/SAO. But again, that's just my opinion I have zero authority when it comes to naming convention with firearms.

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I half agree. I still like to use SA to refer to my P229's DA/SA single action pull and SAO when referring to a P229 SAO because the SA of a DA/SA is not SAO by definition because it has a DA option. Likewise, a P229 Legion SAO does not have a DA option. It's also in my opinion why it is called DA/SA and not DA/SAO. But again, that's just my opinion I have zero authority when it comes to naming convention with firearms.
I understand what you're saying, but by the same logic we could call a DA/SA a DA instead of a SA. The Colt Single Action Army and many similar guns pretty well establish the definition of SA, and they are single action only.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Though that is true, we also used to call semi-autos "automatics" as well. Firearms vernacular changes over time. It has to as new technology comes out. Personally I wouldn't call a DA/SA anything but a DA/SA because it is more descriptive and less ambiguous. If you refer to a pistol as a DA or an SA, without additional context it can be misleading. On the other hand, the term DA/SA leaves no room for misunderstanding the type of firearm in question. Likewise, SAO and DAO also leave little or no ambiguity (except with something like a Ruger LCP II). SA and DA, however, to me are not the best ways to describe the overall action of firearms anymore. They are mostly only good for describing the act of pulling a SAO or DAO trigger. But again, that's just my opinion. The term DAO used to be used interchangeably with the term striker-fired a lot back in the day, but that got confusing when comparing the internal workings of a Glock vs. true DAO's and preloaded striker-fired guns like more recent options. These days, for semi-auto pistols, I mostly stick to SAO, DAO, DA/SA and striker-fired unless I am singling out something more specific like "DAK", but in five years maybe we'll have to classify them differently again.

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
...Personally I wouldn't call a DA/SA anything but a DA/SA because it is more descriptive and less ambiguous. If you refer to a pistol as a DA or an SA, without additional context it can be misleading.
I agree. :yup: I thought when you said in your previous post,

"I half agree. I still like to use SA to refer to my P229's DA/SA single action pull..."

you meant you referred to the DA/SA as SA, and now I see that's not what you meant.

But we fully agree, not half agree. I didn't suggest anywhere that a DA/SA action gun should or could be referred to as a SA. And yes, by definition and as the term DA/SA defines, the gun can be fired in DA or SA. Can't see where the half agree comes in.

Reactions: liberty1
61 - 71 of 71 Posts