Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I re-learned this morning the importance of not getting complacent.

I'm usually very alert, or so I think, so this really ticked me off:

I'm in line at the McD drive thru in my truck, next up to order, window open, and all the sudden I'm surprised to find a rough looking guy at my window out of nowhere!

He must have crept up in my blind spot. Before I can say anything he asks if I can give him a ride! I never noticed him till he was contact distance away. Worse, My dog didn't even tip me off.

I quickly pointed to the dog and said "No. He'll bite.", to which he replied "can I ride in the bed then?"
Me: Firmer "NO".
He then walks off, leaving me rattled.

I think I made several mistakes:
1) Did not leave room between me and the car ahead to escape without power ramming it.
2) Window open before I needed it. (It's a nice day, but I usualy keep windows up while stopped)
3) Ignored blind spots because I felt comfortable in the "safe" part of town.
4) Lost sight of him after he rounded the corner, but proceeded to order and go through line anyway.

What I did right: (not much)
1) Said NO.
2) had carry weapon at 1:00 on belt, easy to access seated in the truck.

This guy may have been a harmless dude whose car broke down, but he looked rough, and my instincts sad it was bad news.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That blind spot troubles me. I think if someone does get the drop on me, it will be from behind while I am in a vehicle.

The location of your weapon at 1:00 is good. All is well that ends well.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
yep, SA failure......but thankfully nothing happened and you've learned from it :hand10:

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Hey, you can't be 100%, 100% of the time, well and not go crazy.

Glad it was just a scare and got you thinking a bit more about SA.

No treats for the pup for a day of two for letting you down like that. :nono:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Glad nothing came of it and made you think more about your SA. Ive had that happen to me before as well, only it was 1230am at a taco bell when I was on my way home from my old job. No treats for mans best friend for a couple days...
~Steve

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The funny thing is, I'm almost always at least at "yellow"! Just a total brain fart this time, and it perfectly illustrates why we keep a relaxed SA all the time.

Glad nothing came of it and made you think more about your SA. Ive had that happen to me before as well, only it was 1230am at a taco bell when I was on my way home from my old job. No treats for mans best friend for a couple days...
~Steve
Yeah..doggo has been talked too. Huskies aren't aggressive, but he's usually at least alert!

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
It could have been worst; like' being a cop in a coffee shop. Point being that we're all subject to being snuck up on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lol, god love my mom, but she'd have been ready. A long time ago, when she was young and foolish, well younger but foolish none the less a man had broke down on the highway and she felt bad and gave him a ride. He said "Lady, don't you worry about picking up a rapist or killer when you gave me a ride" and my mom, under her jacket while it's on her lap pulls the hammer back on her pistol and smugly says "no, did you?"

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Have any of you noticed that they always have a backup request to your answer? They try to catch you off guard that way. That's why it is just "NO" without an explanation from me.

·
Registered
42,957 Posts
Well, Arko, you've overlooked your two biggest, most obvious mistakes:
You went to a McD AND you used the drive-through.

If the guy didn't rob you, no doubt your order was shorted ... but you got robbed just the same. For sure, those fries stole a few years off your life-span! I, for one, NEVER go thru the drive-through.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You only missed one thing. You should have told the drive-up window person that there was a really rough looking character lurking in their drive-up area out of sight and accosting patrons.

The mgr would likely have called for the police to come out and take a looksee.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
It is hard to know just what to say except I think you did very well, and does the dog really bite?

·
Registered
369 Posts

+1, bad doggie! :spankme: Bring another pup into the house for a few days....really get him thinking :yup:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lol, god love my mom, but she'd have been ready. A long time ago, when she was young and foolish, well younger but foolish none the less a man had broke down on the highway and she felt bad and gave him a ride. He said "Lady, don't you worry about picking up a rapist or killer when you gave me a ride" and my mom, under her jacket while it's on her lap pulls the hammer back on her pistol and smugly says "no, did you?"
Um, no Mrs. ImChad, we will be home by 8:00....:hand5: Wow, thats a tough lady there my friend. :yup:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The victim of a crime is not assumed at fault due to a lack of SA. When the BG gets to choose the time and the place, unless you are hold up in your house, SA will only take you so far. You and your dog did fine.

As for the dog, he is just a dog, not spider man, he would never think, with all those people around, he needed to doubt your judgement on the level of alert. Good boy.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
ONe can't see absolutely everything at all times, learn from the 'hole' in your SA and move on.:yup::scruntiny:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts