Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd post this here instead of in the Defensive Guns section. It's really more an ammo question than it is which gun to get. At the moment I have 3 handguns that were my father's. I have a .22 Browning Medalist Automatic Target Pistol, a S&W 1905 Military & Police Target Model, 4th Change, .38 Special, and a .45 Colt Model 1911A1, U.S. Army. I'd love to stay with as few calibers as possible so I'm not buying ever type of ammo known to man, but the .22 is too small. I don't want a revolver for a defensive carry, and I'm thinking the .45 is too big to big of a caliber for the subcompact Glock. (Man, I sound like Goldilocks!)

So I'm relegated to 9mm,,32, .380, and .40 I've heard that .380 is impossible to find these days, 9mm is nice, but for the same price I could be shooting .40, and the only reason I'm looking at .32 is because of the price of .380 and my desire to get a Seecamp as well as a Glock 26 or 27.

Anyone have any thought, or know where I could get a good run down on cost of ammo vs. the caliber effectiveness. I even toyed with the idea of getting the Glock .45 subcompact till I realized what kind of kick that thing must have.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
"Anyone have any thought, or know where I could get a good run down on cost of ammo vs. the caliber effectiveness"

Oh boy. Now you've done it!
May as well settle in, this could go awhile...

·
Registered
657 Posts
"Anyone have any thought, or know where I could get a good run down on cost of ammo vs. the caliber effectiveness"

Oh boy. Now you've done it!
May as well settle in, this could go awhile...
Pick the caliber you like. I found this source in a previous thread. I hope noone minds me reposting it.

AmmoEngine: .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

It's a self contained search engine designed to troll ammo supply web sites and only show what's available. You can sort by manufacturer, bullet type, price.
They currently have 17 websites, and don't show shot shells yet.

For many calibers the cost/round difference isn't big enough to justify sacrificing anything IMHO.
Check your local gun show too, I've heard you can get good deals on reloads, especially if you have brass to trade.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, Arko. I know; I just opened the flood gates with a statement like that didn't I?

Lewis,
Thanks, I'll use that to do some research!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
You know--all factors come down to what you, and only you will be comfortable with.

Will you be comfortable with a 9mm on your hip, instead of a .45? If you aren't, then, really, it won't be all that worth it...and, FWIW, the G36 is a rather light recoiling .45 for it's size; it's no 9mm G26, that's for sure; but I find it easier to shoot than a G27 in .40, any day.

If you do decide to go down in caliber...I don't see much advantage of .40 over 9mm, and am just plain not a fan of .380 or .32...so, 9mm would be my choice in your situation.

But--I'd really recommend a .45acp G36; I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Fear Not The .45!!!! lol!:boese51:

The G30 is remarkably soft shooting. It does not feel like the monster a lot of people fear. For me, it is easier to handle than the G27. Try it. You'll like it!:hand10:

Price on ammo? Well that is another story. If you want inexpensive shooting, I like the G19 or G26 (from your choices). I am not a fan of the .40, but many people love it. I will let others get in to the ballistic merits of each.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The 9mm and .45 would be perfect........just my opinion. The .40 has been described as having a rather 'snappy' recoil.

WRT caliber aviliability, then 9mm might be your best bet. Do not discount the .45.......it's a good round even in the 'mini-Glocks'. If at all possiable, find a range that rents a selection of sidearms/calibers your considering and put some rounds through 'em.

As for just an opinion right now.....the 9mm would be my choice with in the parameters you've set.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Yep, go to your local fun shop, rent a few and choose the one(s) you like best.:yup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
I ask myself the same thing a while back and the answer was
9MM.
Going up from 9MM gives more recoil and less ammo in the gun
and higher ammo cost with a slight increase in one shot stop(if you
even buy into that thinking)of about 4 to 8 percent at the cost
of at least 10 percent loss on round count in the gun.

Loss of personal performance with follow up shots for me was
hard to guess, but it was over 10 percent with .40-.45
The cost of ammo to practice with was that lower with 9MM
I can buy three boxes of 9MM for what two boxes of 40 or 45 cost
Thats a loss of 33 percent of practice to go up from 9MM to
40 or 45.

Going down from 9MM is the same story in reverse
less power (IE one shot stop)and more cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys. The 9mm debate also supports the reading I've done from some of the Self Defense Instructors that I've found online. They all prefer the 9mm for all the same reasons above.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Word is our local PD will soon be switching back to 9mm from 40. They feel confident in the performance of modern ammunition and feel that accuracy and follow up shot speed is more important than size difference. I have shot a G27 and found it snappy. I carry a G26 and find it to be a firearm I shoot quite well.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Around me .40sw is easy to find. 9mm somewhat difficult and .45acp impossible.

So if the situation is similar for you then you might want to consolidate on what you can find reliably.

As for what works, lets see if the wimpy 9mm would hurt? Any takers? Jokes aside I like bigger bullets. .40 is a good medium IMO. It has good velocity good capacity and is slightly larger than 9mm while not being so hard to find as .45acp ammo so you can practice. Having said that, I urge you to shoot one before deciding. You may not like it. 9mm is very potent and I hold no grudge against anyone who cannot handle a .40 in the same frame size. I can, some simply want a 9mm instead.

I will say that 9mm is super easy to shoot. After shooting my G23 a lot then grabbing the G19 I noticed I was waiting for a BANG and got more of a pop (as far as the snap of the recoil is concerned). Neither .40sw or .45acp is hard for me to control, I do prefer .45acp but the G23/G19 for me is just too perfect a size gun. It's all opinion, mine is not like everyone's. I usd to be a .40sw hater, telling everyone to use .45 if they want bigger and skip the .40 caliber all together. Now, after shooting a G23 and reading a lot of information about ballistics and bullet designs etc I decided that .40sw would be a good edc for me. Having velocity close to 9mm (not quite) and size close to .45acp (not quite). Kind of hit what I wanted. I only lose 2 rounds with a G23 vs a G19 as well which to me is minor as I'd be comfortable with 8+1 of 45acp in a 1911.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Ammo is already starting to be a little easier to find. As supply starts going up price will start to go back to normal.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
After one or two thousand rounds, a 22 conversion for your 45 would pay for itself. You still get practice with sight alignment, trigger control, etc, just not the big bang. Just a thought.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I really enjoy my handguns and my 10mm handguns are my favorites! I can, if I wish, drop a .40 S&W barrel (accompanied by a lighter recoil spring) into either my Glock Model 20, or DW Razorback and shoot to my heart's content.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you have an orginial 1911A1 it could be worth $1000.00 upward depending on condition and manufacture.

If you decided to sell it. you could buy the handgun of choice and bunches of ammo.

However since it is a heirloom It should be priceless to you.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Hang onto the 1911A1 for sure. Ditch the 38spl and ammo, and buy a 9mm. Keep the 22lr pistol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know about .380 being so hard to get, I just bought 15 boxes, and I could have had more if I wanted to. The price is still higher than 9mm, but it always was.
.40 S&W is currently the caliber being pushed by the FBI. It costs a bit more than 9mm but I seem to find it everywhere I go. It has penetration that beats the pants off of 9mm, about 12 to 15" in ballistic gelatin which is nice to have in todays drug-crazed society. I prefer .45acp or .44 Magnum but I don't mind carrying my Desert Eagle all day long.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts