Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and didn’t shoot a single FMJ round. It was time to burn up the rounds that had been sitting in my carry mags for a year and also finally test the Federal HST I bought a year ago for function. I was sitting there shooting Gold Dots and Federal HST as range ammo!!

I didn’t have the heart to blow both 50 round boxes of HST (since I can't hope to replace it), so I shot one box and called it good for carry. My gun has never balked at any ammo, even the fat Corbon flying ashtrays. I now have 230 grain Federal .45 ACP (standard pressure) HST in my carry mags.

Anybody know where I can backorder some more standard pressure .45 HST?

·
Registered
40,378 Posts
Why did you feel you needed to "burn up" year-old ammo? The stuff lasts forever; look at all the war-surplus ammo that's been around for years. I don't understand this idea of ammo getting old, unless, of course, you store it in your steam room.
Keep it clean and dry and it's good to go. It's not like old bread.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
There are several reasons to burn it and stock fresh stuff.
-One is bullet setback if you frequently clear your gun and rechamber.
-Another is that depending upon your ammo and how hard of a life your gun has, shaking powder for a year can change its properties by breaking the particles smaller as they wear against each other.

Sure, it is probably OK, but fresh ammo is better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts