Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an Springfield XDS 9 and have been considering the Hellcat so I like the video.Just curious,did you do a normal cleaning/lube before your first firing or fire as received?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I will have to concur with everything you stated in your review judging from my experience with my Hellcat. I've put a little over 500 rounds through mine with "0" issues or malfunctions. My accuracy is very good for this small pistol. I can usually shoot a magazine (from 20 yards standing) and cover the groups with one hand (with my fingers spread out) which is excellent in my view from such a small pistol. I shot a friends P365 (both new) along with him when we got them and the P365 doesn't feel as good for me (a little too small for my hand) Great review by the way.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Great review. Thanks. I have been having my Hellcat for 2 months now. I’m about 500 rounds into it and I am completely smitten with it. After a long, heart wrenching struggle, it has replaced my beloved Shield for off duty carry and my G26 for off duty carry. At least for my 9mm off duty carry.

It has been 100% reliable with various FMJ and JHP’s and handles my favorite defensive load, 124 gr +P Federal HST, well. It is uncannily accurate, especially for such a small lil gun, but for anything really.

I carry mine IWB, OWB and pocket. It’s pretty comforting/comfortable to have in my pocket when I take my walks around my neighborhood that I do 3-4/times a week. 12 9mm rounds in my pocket and 13 more in the other pocket should get me out of most tight spots. I’ve pocket carried it in a cheap nylon Uncle Mikes and now I have a kydex pocket holster I got on EBay, both were comfortable.

As far as the primer drag, I don’t think there’s a micro out there that doesn’t do that. I find the hotter the ammo, the more drag. I do not consider it an issue and I have seen that in many GLOCKS of all sizes and it’s never been an issue. I think it was an issue with the P365 due to faulty striker metallurgy.

Anyway, I’m really diggin’ my Hellcat, I bet you’re gonna like yours too. I still can’t get over the accuracy of mine, it’s almost unnerving it’s so accurate, if that makes any sense. I still try to return to my Shield, just out of familiarity and loyalty, but the stellar performance of my lil Hellcat just won’t let me !

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an Springfield XDS 9 and have been considering the Hellcat so I like the video.Just curious,did you do a normal cleaning/lube before your first firing or fire as received?
I put a little lube on it. That was Ill the prep work it got.

Howard

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Usually in a pocket.

Howard
A bit large, and heavy, for routine pocket carry IMHO. But, I also have to deal with a NPE at work.

I’m really hoping Remington introduces a 9mm version of their RM380...which is itself an updated .380 version of the Rohrbaugh R9. The R9 remains, IMHO, the only true pocket 9 that has ever existed. I could never afford them when they were available.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
A bit large, and heavy, for routine pocket carry IMHO. But, I also have to deal with a NPE at work.

I’m really hoping Remington introduces a 9mm version of their RM380...which is itself an updated .380 version of the Rohrbaugh R9. The R9 remains, IMHO, the only true pocket 9 that has ever existed. I could never afford them when they were available.
I don't have to deal with the NPE but agree that it's too large and heavy for me to pocket carry. Watched the size comparison in your video, Howard, and it's basically the same size and weight of the Shield. No way I'll pocket carry my Shield. Tried it. Just me, but it's too heavy and hard to get out of my pocket quickly even with Duluth pants.

It is pretty amazing that it holds that many rounds in that little package.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I don't have to deal with the NPE but agree that it's too large and heavy for me to pocket carry. Watched the size comparison in your video, Howard, and it's basically the same size and weight of the Shield. No way I'll pocket carry my Shield. Tried it. Just me, but it's too heavy and hard to get out of my pocket quickly even with Duluth pants.

It is pretty amazing that it holds that many rounds in that little package.
I can’t pocket carry my Shield either. But, I can/do easily pocket carry my Hellcat. The Hellcat grip is shorter and I think that’s what makes the difference. The overall dimensions of the Hellcat doesn’t look like much difference from the Shield .... but in reality, it’s enough to make a significant difference.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Very well done and informative as usual, Howard. I was interested in the comparison as a Shield user. Thanks!
I'm on board with Wavygravy ! We both carry the Shield. I've got a couple Shields... (9mm and 40 cal guns) I've handled a couple Hellcats and 365s in the Past, but I'm more on board with the Hellcat. Though the 365 feels a bit better in my hands, I LOVE the sight picture with the Hellcat. The option to place a RMR shield Optic on the Hellcat, entices my interest.... I'm actually waiting for a USED one to come in, so I can sign it out and put it thru the paces....I'm seeing used 365s but NO used Hellcats... YET...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts