Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I can’t pocket carry my Shield either. But, I can/do easily pocket carry my Hellcat. The Hellcat grip is shorter and I think that’s what makes the difference. The overall dimensions of the Hellcat doesn’t look like much difference from the Shield .... but in reality, it’s enough to make a significant difference.
Are you using the flat base plate for the 11 rd mag when pocket carrying? Just curious.

·
Registered
33,976 Posts
I'd like to try one, but I've yet to find a straight trigger that felt right to me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are you using the flat base plate for the 11 rd mag when pocket carrying? Just curious.
I was pocket carrying the HC over the weekend in the front pocket of a pair of Carhart pants. It fit well enough with the 11 round magazine and the finger extension base plate.

Howard

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nice video, Howard. I have both the P365 and an early Shield and it was interesting to hear about the Shield's comparison with the Hellcat. Thanks for the work.

Reactions: Ceapea and CLASS3NH

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Definitely using the flat base. The finger extension makes enough difference to make it unpocketable for me. The extended magazine would be impossible in my pocket too, but it sure is comfortable in my hand. So I carry the extended (13 rd) mag as my spare.

And don’t get me wrong most of the time I still carry my Hellcat OWB/IWB. But mine’s quite comfortable in my pocket too, just slower to draw, unless you already have your hand in your pocket.

BTW, even though the mags are double stack mags, they are very small and spares are easy to carry. That’s something different from say my G26, G19, G30 mags, which were just big enough to make me not carry a spare sometimes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My brother in law and I each just ordered one of the OSP models. Midway has them for $480 and free shipping.
Less expensive than the non OSP model by a few $$

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great review...great video....good pros and cons on the two pistols and it looks like the Springfield is a good choice....what is the standard warranty on Springfield weapons now?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Be sure to let me know what you think of them when they come in.

Howard
We got out to shoot them this past Sunday. He put 250 rd thru his and I shot 200 or so. I brought a few other small guns out to shoot against it, and to see which I could shoot the best, in a drill that I’ve been wanting to try. A recent article in Shooting Illustrared was talking about the shot that Jack Wilson took at 50’, hitting the perp in the head. The article was talking about practicing hitting a 6” target at 50’ in under 3 seconds, from the holster...and I believe, concealment. So we set up 8” and 6” steel plate targets at 17 yd. and set our timer for 3 seconds. My brother in law doubted that we could do it, and he thought the original shot was at 25-30 ft.
I shot the Hellcat first. Starting on the 8” plate, I had 3 out of 5 hits from the holster, but not concealment. After my hit ratio improved to 8/10, I started on the 6” plate. Again, hitting it proved to be a bit easier than expected...of course, no adrenaline involved! But as I continued, I was soon hitting 7/10 pretty regularly. Love the Hellcat!!
Then my brother in law tried. He too had a hit on the first try and ended up with a 50% hit ratio. He is 68 and doesn’t shoot as often, or as many rd as I do in a year. Anyway, despite some issues with his, he too was very happy with his new gun. But he did have some trigger issues. I had watched a TON of videos/reviews on the Hellcat before buying one. The very few reviews showing the pressed sideways, trigger issue, was taken as being from inexperienced reviewers. I, like most of the commenters, thought that the shooter just didn’t know what he was doing.
Well, I now have to concede that it can be a real issue! My brother in law’s gun (we ordered them at the same time and picked them up the same day, only 60 difference in our s/n) had several trigger lockup’s. Didn’t seem to matter where he placed his finger on the blade, or if he pushed it sideways or not. He/we, didn’t push it sideways...
He has been shooting semi auto pistols for over 45 years and never had this happen. I shoot approximately 14k a year now. We both experienced the trigger lock up a few dozen times. But, only when shooting right handed! I’m left handed. Neither his nor mine acted up when I shot it LH. Mine never had the issue regardless the hand used to shoot it. His locked up for both him and me when shooting RH. He also had zero issues when shooting mine.
It did seem to get a bit better as the round count went up. I found it would only hesitate for a split second, and a felt “hitch” as the trigger did end up breaking the shot. Better, but still there. He contacted SA yesterday and sent the gun in right away. It seemed that the trigger safety blade/dingus was either a bit wide, where it receded back into the frame, or the slot was too narrow. I’m sure that Springfield will make it right. Hope so, anyway. He did say that the girl/woman that he spoke with was very rude and condescending. She blamed him immediately and wouldn’t hear him out that he was pretty experienced and had an idea of what he was talking about. By the way, he hadn’t seen any of the reviews showing trigger issues.
Holy moly! That was a loooong story. Well, we’ll see what happens next. For now, I like my Hellcat quite a lot!

·
Registered
567 Posts
So, I put up a bunch of “likes” today. On my pc, the like option is always there. On my iPad, I need to hit the “reply with a quote” to get “like” to appear. I have been following this thread on the iPad.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have an Springfield XDS 9 and have been considering the Hellcat so I like the video.Just curious,did you do a normal cleaning/lube before your first firing or fire as received?
My brother in law and I both sprayed them down with gun scrubber, completely stripping off any shipping preservatives. Then oiled and lubed per the manual.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
So, I put up a bunch of “likes” today. On my pc, the like option is always there. On my iPad, I need to hit the “reply with a quote” to get “like” to appear. I have been following this thread on the iPad.
Try just tapping the text of the post you want to like. That's how I get it to show up on my phone.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Very nice review of what appears to be a great micro-compact 9mm pistol. I had never thought about this little piece but your review has me very interested. The practical accuracy seems to be quite amazing with this gun. I'm going to try to handle one tomorrow. Thanks again for your review.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Very nice review of what appears to be a great micro-compact 9mm pistol. I had never thought about this little piece but your review has me very interested. The practical accuracy seems to be quite amazing with this gun. I'm going to try to handle one tomorrow. Thanks again for your review.
You're welcome. I'm liking my Hellcat more and more as time goes by. I was carrying it this past weekend and it's about as easy to pack as my trusty J-Frame.

Howard

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
You're welcome. I'm liking my Hellcat more and more as time goes by. I was carrying it this past weekend and it's about as easy to pack as my trusty J-Frame.

Howard
Overall dimensions wise it's roughly the same as an XD-S. It appears they deliberately went after the same size, added a slightly thicker grip (not a bad thing) to accommodate more ammo, and made it optics ready. I've been carrying a red dot equipped XD-S for quite awhile now, hardly notice it, and find it's as easy to carry as any of my snubs. If something ever happens to it, the Hellcat is on the shortlist to replace it.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Overall dimensions wise it's roughly the same as an XD-S. It appears they deliberately went after the same size, added a slightly thicker grip (not a bad thing) to accommodate more ammo, and made it optics ready. I've been carrying a red dot equipped XD-S for quite awhile now, hardly notice it, and find it's as easy to carry as any of my snubs. If something ever happens to it, the Hellcat is on the shortlist to replace it.
Does look like a real winner for its class, based upon the review videos I have watched since Mr. Funk posted his. I am going to try to locate one so I can handle it and see how it feels and how I might want to employ it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Does look like a real winner for its class, based upon the review videos I have watched since Mr. Funk posted his. I am going to try to locate one so I can handle it and see how it feels and how I might want to employ it.
Be careful! They have a habit of following you home!

Howard

21 - 40 of 42 Posts