1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It’s as blue as Austin if not worse. The state had to create preemption to forbid them from outlawing pocket knives. Believe it or not, before this preemption, it was illegal to carry anything but the smallest of knives. The local PDs (in SA and surrounding areas) are also known to harass open carriers.

I’ve been in Texas 13 years, and have been there twice. I’ve seen the Alamo...no need to go back.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Lived there in ‘68 just after the Worlds Fair till ‘79. Loved going all over, have taken my wife there for weekend trips. She loves history.
Don’t think I’ve been back there in 15 years except as a passing route to Corpus. But not a bad place to visit.
And if you ever take the Riverwalk cruise, remember that if you fall overboard into to the water don’t panic! Just stand up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I still get a laugh everytime we go to the RiverWalk and the boat dude tells where the lifejackets are located, then says "dont bother just stand up". Went last Christmas and the resturant we went to still had a stock of Pearl Beer. I still ordered my usual Shiner Bock

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I have only been there for work one day and had no spare time. Colonel Travis is an uncle (with many "greats", of course), and my middle name honors him. I definitely need to get to the Alamo.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
I have only been there for work one day and had no spare time. Colonel Travis is an uncle (with many "greats", of course), and my middle name honors him. I definitely need to get to the Alamo.
You may be greatly disappointed. Texas has not done right by the Shrine in many years.
There is a plan to restore/renovate it and the surrounding area of the city around it.
I hope they do it right.
Not much to see but I still go on the anniversary of the fall to honor those who died there.
March 6 1836. 184 years ago.
We also pay our respects on March 27 with a quick trip to the site of the Goliad massacre.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Always used to love visiting San Antonio itself. Lovely city, nice people, good food. Last two times it was.....different. Sad.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I live in SATX and have for 50 years so I have seen it change quite a bit. Like all large cities we get more hipsters all the time. Traffic now sucks and we're almost as bad as Austin, Houston, and DFW. All that said, I have no desire to live anywhere else. It's still a great place to live and a good value for your dollar. Libs are taking over the city, but what do you expect when very few show up for city elections?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts