Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ban Francisco

Well, the people of San Francisco have succombed to the gun control lie in a big way! After the third attempt of such a proposition they voted in favor of giving up their 2nd ammendment rights.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/09/BAG9RFKD1C82.DTL

This quote from the article kills me -
"San Francisco voters are smart and believe in sensible gun control," said Supervisor Chris Daly

So, to this guy, having to turn in your handguns is "sensible"

Sad

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Don't kid yourself. If Daly has a gun, he's not going to have to turn it in.

Neither will Feinstein. Laws like these are for the masses, not the Liberal Elite.

Matt

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My sympathies to all gun owners in San Fran. I hope this is overturned, I understand the appeal is already in process.

·
Registered
932 Posts
A sad day in San Francisco

It's a sad day for gun owners in San Francisco. Voters passed a resolution banning not only the sale, but the keeping of handguns (that includes your own home or business) in the city of San Francisco yesterday. That means law abiding citizens will no longer be able to own a handgun for home protection or recreational shooting unless it's kept outside the city limits. I guess they didn't learn anything from the disaster that recently happened in New Orleans and being prone to their own natural disaster (earthquakes), New Orleans should have been a preview of what to expect when the next "big one" hits the city by the bay. Of course, the bad guys won't pay any attention to the new law and you will still be able to go across the bridge to Oakland or down towards San Jose for those who really want to get a handgun and you want to ignore the law. Oh well, California dreamin'...

·
Registered
878 Posts
I can imagine that the crooks and BG's are all having a big party about now.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
(I'm merging these two duplicate threads.)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
see bellow
NRA to File Lawsuit Challenging
San Francisco Gun Ban

Fairfax, VA - Even with opposition from San Francisco law enforcement and major media outlets, Proposition H -- a measure banning the lawful possession, sale and manufacture of handguns and ammunition within city limits -- passed yesterday. The National Rifle Association (NRA) will file a lawsuit challenging this severe gun ban.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre stated, “We are disappointed, but this fight is just beginning. Lawful residents of San Francisco are being stripped of their freedom because of an illegal measure that defies common sense. We will fight this outrageous assault on the rights of law-abiding San Franciscans and I believe that we will prevail.”

Many San Francisco residents who initially supported the ban changed their opinion after NRA and local volunteers began voter education efforts throughout the city. The campaign received an additional boost when the San Francisco Police Officers Association condemned the gun ban, declaring it would "nullify the personal choice of city residents to lawfully possess a handgun for self-defense purposes.” Major San Francisco newspapers also voiced opposition to Proposition H.

In response to the passage of this proposition, NRA will lead a coalition of organizations to immediately file a lawsuit against this illegal ban in San Francisco. Proposition H, in addition to violating federal guarantees, also violates various California state laws and is therefore preempted.

Chris W. Cox, NRA’s chief lobbyist, concluded, “This is a hollow victory for the gun control lobby because this scheme is in clear violation of California law. We will file suit and fight this to the highest courts in the country until good sense prevails once again in San Francisco.”

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sad, sad day for those good people. I hope the good ones all move, property values drop like a rock and crime skyrockets. It won't happen but it would serve them right.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
too bad SF doesn't have a clue. And the govt. officials will still have their layered defense of security.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
the keeping of handguns (that includes your own home or business)
That is outragious and so totally anti 2A it is hard to believe this is happening in the US of A.

Some restrictions that have come about are bad but this, well - how much more unconstitutional can you get!! :cuss:

I just hope appeal will flatten this and sense be seen.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
If this doesn't get overturned, SF will get a clue when crime skyrockets.
All gun owners should boycott SF and any thing that comes from there.
To bad that all gun owners there couldn't just up and move en-mass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sheldon J said:
see bellow
First, the above quote is a malapropism of exquisite timing and thunderous appropriateness. :hand56:

Second...it should be seriously considered that with this vote San Francisco has effectively seceded from America.
Since most of California will probably treat this with calm acceptance, it would probably be advisable for Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and Mexico to revise their border protection strategies.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I've been trying not to read about this topic and drown out the news reports by sticking my fingers in my ears and yelling NANANANANANANANANANA because it makes me so doggone mad to think about it.

I really don't think San Francisco will learn a thing when the crime skyrockets. They'll just ban steak knives and baseball bats and try the touchy-feely approach in dealing with criminals by giving them teddy bears and lollipops and digging into their childhoods to learn if their mommies didn't love them enough.

But hey, banning all the guns made them feel good, so crime must disappear.... at least in their tiny little pinheads it will. Have fun sleeping with the windows open and doors unlocked.

That's all I'm going to say or I'll have to ban myself. :grumpy:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got to come back to this for a minute.

I don't know what percentage of eligible voters cast a vote in this election, but the gun ban passed by a fairly narrow margin.

Stereotypes and perceptions from far away aside, this is a city in America, populated by to some percentage or other normal Americans...choose your own numbers to fill in the blanks.

My feeling...without any research to back it up...is that SF is a city that is more in the control of politicians and bureaucrats than is the average city.

So while my first reaction, as evidenced by my earlier post, is to say 'enjoy the misery you have invited', a bit of reflection changes my perspective...I'm sure the reasonable and rational residents of SF and California in general don't need or appreciate my pity for their circumstances but there it is...it's all I can offer them at the moment.

As I searched through the long list of propositions in this election I had another thought...
Long ago I had the idea that the perfect democracy would be one in which everyone voted on everything, from their home, online.
It would eliminate the need for politicians, and we'd only need the bureaucrats.
(I suspect I got the original idea from the movie Zardoz)

But after seeing the incredible and almost endless list of things in this election I have to reconsider that idea.

Oh...check out the malapropism just waiting to happen at the very bottom of the list! :tongue:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
From NRA-ILA today -
NRA to File Lawsuit Challenging San Francisco Gun Ban

Fairfax, VA - Even with opposition from San Francisco law enforcement and major media outlets, Proposition H -- a measure banning the lawful possession, sale and manufacture of handguns and ammunition within city limits -- passed yesterday. The National Rifle Association (NRA) will file a lawsuit challenging this severe gun ban.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre stated, We are disappointed, but this fight is just beginning. Lawful residents of San Francisco are being stripped of their freedom because of an illegal measure that defies common sense. We will fight this outrageous assault on the rights of law-abiding San Franciscans and I believe that we will prevail.
Silver Lining In San Fran Gun Ban
JohnLott.com

"The silver lining was how forcefully many organizations such as the police came out against the gun ban," writes John Lott.

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/op-eds/NROSFGunBan110905.html

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Here are the results from here.

ELECTION SUMMARY SAN FRANCISCO UNOFFICIAL RESULTS
CONSOL SPECIAL STATEWIDE
ELECTION NOVEMBER 8, 2005
RUN DATE:11/09/05 03:17 PM

VOTES PERCENT

PRECINCTS COUNTED (OF 578). . . . . 578 100.00
REGISTERED VOTERS - TOTAL . . . . . 428,481
BALLOTS CAST - TOTAL. . . . . . . 167,465
VOTER TURNOUT - TOTAL . . . . . . 39.08

MEASURE H
YES . . . . . . . . . . . . 89,759 57.92
NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . 65,214 42.08

Quick analysis shows that 39% of residents voted and of those almost 58% approved the gun ban. So an almost 16% gap.

The 9th Circuit will hear any appeals and will undoubtably uphold the ban as they are the most leftist court in the land. This could wind up on the Supreme Court's door step.

If the ban is upheld I hope they get everything they asked for. Possibly the per capita murder rate will surpass DC so it will no longer be the murder capital of the US. I see this as great news for DC.

-Scott-

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Here is the text of the Proposition as passed. I also pasted it below. I always try to put a link to the source so it can be verified.

-Scott-

Firearm Ban

PROPOSITION H

Shall the City ban the manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco, and ban City residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco?

Digest

by the Ballot Simplification Committee

THE WAY IT IS NOW: State law regulates the manufacture, distribution, transport, import, sale, purchase, possession and concealment of firearms within California. The City and County of San Francisco further regulates the sale of firearms and prohibits the sale or transfer of certain types of firearms within San Francisco.

THE PROPOSAL: Proposition H is an ordinance that would ban the manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco.

Proposition H also would prohibit San Francisco residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco. An exception would allow residents to possess handguns if it is required for specific professional purposes. For example, San Francisco residents who are security guards, peace officers or active members of the U.S. armed forces would be permitted to possess handguns.

The Board of Supervisors would be required to enact penalties for violation of this ordinance.

Proposition H would take effect January 1, 2006. Until April 1, 2006, residents could surrender their handguns to any district station of the San Francisco Police Department or the San Francisco Sheriff's Department without penalty.

The Board of Supervisors could amend this ordinance by a two-thirds vote (66.7%) if it determined that its amendment would further reduce handgun violence.

A “YES” VOTE MEANS: If you vote “yes,” you want to ban the manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco, and you want to prohibit—with limited exceptions—San Francisco residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco.

A “NO” VOTE MEANS: If you vote “no,” you do not want to ban the manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco, and you do not want to prohibit—with limited exceptions—San Francisco residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This just goes to show you how many people can be brain washed. These leftist congregations like San Francisco are bad guy fantasylands waiting to happen. Why is such a simple thing as BGs not following laws to obtain guns such a difficult concept for some people to grasp?

This lack of basic logic is astounding.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
The more I mull this over the more it really gets to me.

''Defenceless in San Francisco" - the next movie to come out of that city, highlighting the new open season for criminals, where now with impunity they can expect to invade homes and rob and expect little armed resistance.

For the possible minority who hold on to their means of protection - heaven forbid they should use them to save lives of themeselves and family - because it'll be like NYC or Chicago or DC - they'll still be alive but heading straight for jail.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts