Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some family members going to San Francisco soon and I was curious what the local pepper spray and stun gun laws were. Any local knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
81 Posts
Handgunlaw.us is your best bet. There is a sub section under each state that'll give you an up to date law on carrying pepper spray.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
AFAIK, there is no specific law against using pepper spray against a true attack. There is probably a law against buying it, selling it in California. Stun-gun, nope, can't have or use.

But say you have one from 20 years ago in your apt. and a BG breaks in and gets zapped and runs away. Who's gonna know? No DA is going to try and charge an innocent, no lawyer will insist their client disclose this device.

Best bet? Use safe practices, no going out after dark, go in pairs, carry a cane, stay out of bars, if mugged, give up your cash and run.

It's kinda like saying 'can you take a .30-06 to the bear exhibit at the Zoo?'. Uh, just don't jump into the bear enclosure and you'll be fine. :wink:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was there in the summer of 2014, in the Fisherman's Wharf area... even after dark, it seemed fairly safe. Just dont keep valuables in easily picked pockets, keep aware of surroundings and your chances will be good to go home safe and unaccosted.

But, you never know...

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
2.5 or less

At least for CA all forms of stun gun were legal to carry and use no permit ..But been a while on there so check

Again often in CA the cites esp LA and san fran have different laws

1 - 8 of 8 Posts