Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Except all those commercials have a subtext: "Professional Driver, closed course, do not attempt." Lawyers wrote that, not marketers.

I can see gun manufacturers putting warnings on all their materials, "Do not use for criminal purposes."
You're almost there, @jmf552.

This problem can easily be solved if every firearms manufacturer installs a warning label, as is currently done on packs of cigarettes.

WARNING ! This device must not be used for criminal purposes.

This would stop mass murder (or ordinary murder) dead in its tracks. :dead:

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Isn't the suit based on that Remington marketed this gun to civilians as a military rifle? Remington should just stand up and ask, what military uses a semi-automatic AR-15?
This is a stretch, I admit, but the same Bushmaster model was known to be used by ISIS in Iraq. That was a "military" in the sense our military fought them and is still fighting them. How they got the guns, I have not read. My guess is that will be brought up in this trial.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
You're almost there, @jmf552.

This problem can easily be solved if every firearms manufacturer installs a warning label, as is currently done on packs of cigarettes.

WARNING ! This device must not be used for criminal purposes.

This would stop mass murder (or ordinary murder) dead in its tracks. :dead:
If they did that, the purpose would be to stop lawyers dead in their tracks!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
So how do I determine who to sue for the extra pounds around my middle??? Oh, I know, I'll do it the liberal way = I'll sue everybody!!!
I think you need to get in touch with Rosie O'Donnell. I'm guessing perhaps you can get in on the class action she is getting ready to file against Ben & Jerry's and spoon companies as we speak... :wink:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gun companies, for better or for worse, are exempt from most lawsuits, and this particular case is not about that. It is about how they marketed their guns.

In the same way that the cigarette companies were taken to task starting in the 60's... it's not the product, it's the marketing of that product.

It's up to a jury to decide. There may be something here, or maybe not. We don't have all the facts to judge.

I carry, I own multiple guns, and one more on the way :). I believe in gun rights, I believe in the 2nd amendment. That being said, it doesn't mean that there are zero bounds and that anything goes.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Violent game manufacturers better run for cover if this suit is successful. Grossman has done research which plausibly connects their products (and by extension their product marketing) to multiple-victim homicides.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The CT Supreme Court is allowing the plaintiffs to sue on "the single, limited theory that the defendants violated CT Unfair Trades Practices Act by 'marketing the XM15- E2S to civilians for criminal purposes,' and that those wrongful marketing tactics caused or contributed to the Sandy Hook massacre."

So the suit is no longer about what Remington manufactured, but how they marketed it. It claims that they marketed the rifle to people for criminal use. I think this is going to be a tough sell, since the gun was not even bought by the Sandy Hook perpetrator, but his mother, who was also killed by the perpetrator. There is no indication that the mother had a criminal intent.
Common sense doesn't really matter. They are making it more and more expensive and inconvenient to own or manufacture guns. This is the same kind of "due process" we can expect with the red flag laws. Spending a fortune to defend yourself or company will eventually wear down most people and businesses.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
This lawsuit is perhaps the most laughable of them all, if they are suggesting Remington/Bushmaster advertised that the guns purpose is to commit murder.

Agree. Understandable that the families are upset, sadly they are uninformed that their children were not as important to the governors/politicians in their state than the banks are.

Change laws to protect the children, treat schools BETTER than banks in protecting them with guards and equipment that will keep our most valuable asset safe.

Obvious where the politicians priorities are, it’s not protecting your children it’s protecting their money.

Why are these parents being ignorant? Isn’t it obvious the blame lays at the feet of those that dismiss protecting their children? Go after the governors, can’t they be sued for not protecting the children which is their job?

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Dang, I did not even know Remington owned Bushmaster. You learn something new every day.
I think a conglomerate called Cerberus owns them both, and many other manufacturers. I recall when they were buying up gun companies there was some worry over what they intended.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Dang, I did not even know Remington owned Bushmaster. You learn something new every day.
I think a conglomerate called Cerberus owns them both, and many other manufacturers. I recall when they were buying up gun companies there was some worry over what they intended.
I actually looked this up yesterday after opening this thread, because I thought Freedom Group still owned both companies, and was curious to know why someone would sue remington if a bushmaster rifle was supposedly used. Apparently now, the parent of both manufacturers(and several others) is Remington Outdoor Company.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I actually looked this up yesterday after opening this thread, because I thought Freedom Group still owned both companies, and was curious to know why someone would sue remington if a bushmaster rifle was supposedly used. Apparently now, the parent of both manufacturers(and several others) is Remington Outdoor Company.
Got you. Yes, I recall that Freedom Group name as well. I may have named Cerberus wrongly, I was going from memory rather than googling it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Got you. Yes, I recall that Freedom Group name as well. I may have named Cerberus wrongly, I was going from memory rather than googling it.
No. I believe you remember correctly. I'm pretty sure Cerberus owned Freedom Group...or perhaps it was a controlling stakeholder. I'm not sure if they still do.

EDIT: Yep, looks like it's still Cerberus.

A Billionaire?s Dreams of Creating a Guns Empire

This seems timely:
"Cerberus set out to create it. A catalyst was the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, pushed by NRA lobbyists and passed by a Republican-controlled Congress in 2005. PLCAA granted gunmakers broad immunity from lawsuits from victims of gun violence. A year later, Cerberus bought Bushmaster for $76 million from Richard Dyke, the company’s founder."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Outdoor_Company

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Reactions: airslot and OD*

·
Premium Member
33,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
41 - 60 of 75 Posts