Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here is another one. Homeowner shoots 17 year old teen in the back as he is breaking into the homeowners car in Sanford, Florida (Trayvon Martin turf) and he is going to plead stand your ground. The States Attorney says that the shoot was ok since it was done to prevent a forcible felony. ????? When did it become ok to kill someone to protect personal property in Florida?

Help me out on this one. Apparently I have missed something along the way.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/05/05/sanford-police-host-news-conference-regarding-neighborhood-incident/

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Not smart! If you went outside to investigate a car alarm and you shoot someone breaking into you car (except in TX), you're going to jail. If however, you went to check on a car alarm and were attacked while doing so...now that would be a different story.IMHO

·
Registered
360 Posts
That article was written better than most regardingshootings of this type. I'm not that familiar with FL law, But it looks like a bad shoot from a scared homeowner. I could see a murder charge in his future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Thank God I live in Texas.
I value everything I own, worked hard for.
If you feel your life is worth less than my Jeep, go for it.
You have your back to me, stealing my property, I have no idea if you are armed.
You put yourself in that situation, not me.
Now if you are running away, no shoot. Active theft, and I feel threatened, Shoot.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
It was good to see the resident who shot, and his wife and child, being called the victims in this case.

Was it a good shoot? Maybe not. The shooter saying he wanted to scare the intruder off doesn't help his case. It's possible he just said something stupid in the emotional aftermat; I suspect he got jumpy and pulled the trigger from a convulsive reflex while his finger was on the trigger.

Not too concerned the 17 yo is dead, though. He knew what he was doing, gambled with his life, and lost. Chances are this just cut short his continued victimization of others.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Thank God I live in Texas.
I value everything I own, worked hard for.
If you feel your life is worth less than my Jeep, go for it.
You have your back to me, stealing my property, I have no idea if you are armed.
You put yourself in that situation, not me.
Now if you are running away, no shoot. Active theft, and I feel threatened, Shoot.
Ask Mr. Joe Horn about what goes on in TX.:yup:

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
The law hasn't changed in Florida that I know of and on the surface, this sounds like a bad shoot. And with the Brunswick GA shooting of the jogger in the news here this may not go well for the shooter.

But we need more details. Though the first story is often the one that sticks in people's minds and sets the "facts".

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Old Tom was a hired gunslinger in my opinion. He got what he deserved.
But OK if we went back to hanging car thieves like we used to hang horse thieves, maybe people would not have to shoot 'em so much :)
My bad, I meant JOE Horn...:scruntiny:

·
Registered
61 Posts
The guy hopped the fence, and in Florida, this *can* count as part of the home.

My issue with it is that he was shot in the back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
My bad, I meant JOE Horn...:scruntiny:
If I remember old Joe was cleared of his charges.
We give a bit more latitude down here on such things.
I would not have done what he did but people keep forgetting robbing and stealing are a choice criminals make I have zero sympathy for them if they get shot.
I will call 911, I will not shoot a criminal if he is fleeing empty handed and not a threat to me or my loved ones.
But I will shoot to stop the loss of my property or the safety of my family.

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
Can't really tell what happened from the article.

The homeowner said "I don’t know he just ran, he just ran, he faced me and I got super scared and my wife was behind me with the baby cause we kept hearing like a big bump, we kept hearing something.”

Does that mean the guy turned to face him and then he was shot, or did he face him after he was shot?

Where in the back was he shot? All of you realize I can be looking at you and you can still shoot me in the back, right?

Where were the man's hands when he was shot?

What was the man doing when he was shot?

Too little to go on here. Let the cops and DA sort it out.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw this shooting posted on social media Tuesday afternoon. I responded that it looked like a very bad shooting and that the homeowner would most likely be charged with a minimum of manslaughter. I also stated that the homeowner was your typical untrained gun owner and had no business "pretending" that he was in fear for his life since the teen never made any attempt to confront him. Also the fact that the teen was shot in the back was pretty good evidence that the homeowner was in deep doodoo.
Well, the States Attorney is apparently calling this a good shooting and has no intention of bringing charges since he says the homeowner fired to stop a forcible felony. Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot? I stated that I totally disagreed with the States Attorney on this and said that what we have here is another Trayvon Martin shooting. White homeowner kills a black teen. Not good.

.....and social media unloaded on me saying I must be a bunny hugging Democrat, and that the teen got what he deserved and good riddance and everyone was applauding the homeowner for taking down this cockroach and protecting his family......from a 17 year old black teen that never presented any danger to him of his family.......and shot him in the back. I have never seen such a bunch of blood thirsty, uncaring people with absolutely no idea of any laws concerning the use of lethal force cheerleading on this incredibly embarrassing shooting of a black teen by a white homeowner.......again. I have no words for what the States Attorney is proposing. NOTHING.

.....and I work in Sanford. The natives are gonna take this one and run with it just like they did with the Trayvon Martin shooting.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
The guy hopped the fence, and in Florida, this *can* count as part of the home.

My issue with it is that he was shot in the back.

There are some situations where shooting someone in the back would not only be justified but prudent. I can think of three right off the bat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I fully agree. From what I see here, not sure it fits though.

Read my post, I don't think what the home owner did was wrong, I'm on his side. He just didn't help his case with the shot in the back and that 911 call.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
"Sanford! An unarmed black teen! It's George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin part 2!!!"

Uh, excuse me but Trayvon Martin WAS armed.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts