·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saudi to permit gun shops: News24: World: News
Saudi to permit gun shops
2009-10-17 19:04
Article Tools Share Get News24 on
Riyadh - Saudis will be able to buy handguns and other personal firearms openly for the first time after the interior ministry said on Saturday it will licence privately owned gun shops.

Anyone over 25 with no criminal record could apply to open a gun store, the ministry said, according to the official SPA news agency.

An official said the move is aimed in part at reining in the widespread illegal ownership of handguns and assault weapons.

Hunting and sport shooting weapons are currently sold in specialty stores, and all weapons are supposed to be licensed.

But a large number of personal guns, including assault rifles, are owned and traded without permits, according to a person familiar with the business.

There are no statistics on how many guns exist in private hands in the kingdom.

But in July, Riyadh police said they had seized 1 091 weapons and more than 13 200 pieces of ammunition in the capital area in the preceding six months, a Saudi Gazette report said.

Last week, the interior ministry also said it would accept applications to set up private shooting clubs.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What exactly do you hunt in Saudi Arabia?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
and how long before eric holder proclaims that over 90% of the illegal guns in SA had originated in the USA?
Ok, that made me openly laugh in public. :haha:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have never been there, but friends of mine in the Navy that worked inland said they have some mean critters in the back country including wolves and hyenas. Don't know if you can hunt those or not.

+1 on the Holder comment.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I know in Iraq they use shotguns for bird hunting. I believe there are also some coyote like critters and goats, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know anything about what kind of hunting is allowed in Saudi, but off the top of my head the following large animals live in the country:

Baboons
Hyenas
Leopards
Oryx (large herbivore with long, elegant straight black horns)
Gazelles
Camels

There used to be lions too but I think they are extinct now. There are also jackels, badgers, and many types of birds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts