Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a savage LRP? I am thinking about getting into the long range game and just getting started on doing a little research. I will more than likely go with 6.5 creedmoor. If for no other reason just because there are so many bullet options available. If anybody has one load data, accuracy, and pics would be great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Ah, OK. When you said lots of options I thought you meant for both long distance and other shooting purposes. Basically more bullet weight options.

That should be quite a range.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep he said he is going to extend it to 2500 eventually if he gets good enough. Thus guy has the cash and determination so I wouldn't be surprised if he did it.
This wouldn't be a hunter for me. Just a dedicated range gun.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought one 6 months ago, have not shot it yet, it's in 6.5 have all the components to start reloading and factory rounds, waiting on my scope. There is a 6.5 creedmoor forum with a lot of info

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought one 6 months ago, have not shot it yet, it's in 6.5 have all the components to start reloading and factory rounds, waiting on my scope. There is a 6.5 creedmoor forum with a lot of info
If for nothing else you get style points just for the user name.
Now get out and shoot that thing. What kind of scope you getting?

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Does anybody have a savage LRP? I am thinking about getting into the long range game and just getting started on doing a little research. I will more than likely go with 6.5 creedmoor. If for no other reason just because there are so many bullet options available. If anybody has one load data, accuracy, and pics would be great.

If it's for long range hunting and target, I would get a 30.06 or stepdown to 308. The 30.06 has got it over the 308 in the 175 grain and higher bullet weight. The 308 and 30.06 has more bullet options. The Rem 700 LR in 30.06 did little under 2'' group at 1,000 yards with a 175 grain SMK and IMR 4350 powder. The 308 and did 3 1/4'' at 1,000 with 155 grain A-max. But I'm just a old man playing.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
If for nothing else you get style points just for the user name.
Now get out and shoot that thing. What kind of scope you getting?

My friend that I shoot with that got me into the long range game, owns a Gun shop, he was at a dealer show last month and got a Burris XTR 5-25x waiting for it to be shipped to him. Said I could have it at his cost.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I'd stick with the 6.5 or take a look at the 6mmC

As long as you're ringing steel, both out perform the .30s at LR, which is why you see them dominating the LR events.

Here's a pretty good summary of what's popular and winning now:

Long-Range Calibers & Cartridges: What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

It seems that the 6mm gains ground every year. I suspect the .308 hangs on because there's a division for it and the availability of match grade ammo for those that don't reload. With the 6.5Cs success and Hornady's loading for the 6mmC there's really no reason to shy away from those calibers IF you don't reload

Chuck

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I'd stick with the 6.5 or take a look at the 6mmC

As long as you're ringing steel, both out perform the .30s at LR, which is why you see them dominating the LR events.

Here's a pretty good summary of what's popular and winning now:

Long-Range Calibers & Cartridges: What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

It seems that the 6mm gains ground every year. I suspect the .308 hangs on because there's a division for it and the availability of match grade ammo for those that don't reload. With the 6.5Cs success and Hornady's loading for the 6mmC there's really no reason to shy away from those calibers IF you don't reload

Chuck
I sure wouldn't use 6.5 on big game at long range!

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I did way more long range shooting than anyone in their right mind should do. I used a 300 Win Mag. I looked over the link you posted and it is what I suspected:

Typical ranges for steel targets are from 300 to 1200 yards, and they are engaged from prone and improvised positions, often under extreme time pressure.
1200 yards is well within 308 range with proper loads. 300 Win Mag handles it even better. 2500 yards? There are very few rounds that will shoot to those distances (50BMG, 338L, or one of the Chey-Tacs). There are no organized competitions that shoot that far - that I'm aware of.

You should pay particular attention to their rules for rifles: The Production Division is limited to rifles that cost NO MORE THAN $3000. Even if you don't intend to shoot in competition, that should give you an idea of what it costs to shoot really well. Long range shooting is a rich man's game. I know a few guys who have been in it a long time and they tell me $100,000 is easily reachable!

While I like the exotic cartridges, you should know that they, almost exclusively, require handloading. More expense. Finally, you should know that probably a few years from now, the 6mm will be fading fast as competition shooters ever strive for a better mousetrap. The old truth is still valid: you don't get something for nothing. Competition aside, shooting rifles into mortar range was, and always will be, very expensive.

EDIT TO ADD - I only have one "long range" rifle today, it is based on the Remington 700 and is chambered for 308. As it is, I have more than $3000 in it. How much more is a closely guarded state secret. :scruntiny:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did way more long range shooting than anyone in their right mind should do. I used a 300 Win Mag. I looked over the link you posted and it is what I suspected:

1200 yards is well within 308 range with proper loads. 300 Win Mag handles it even better. 2500 yards? There are very few rounds that will shoot to those distances (50BMG, 338L, or one of the Chey-Tacs). There are no organized competitions that shoot that far - that I'm aware of.

You should pay particular attention to their rules for rifles: The Production Division is limited to rifles that cost NO MORE THAN $3000. Even if you don't intend to shoot in competition, that should give you an idea of what it costs to shoot really well. Long range shooting is a rich man's game. I know a few guys who have been in it a long time and they tell me $100,000 is easily reachable!

While I like the exotic cartridges, you should know that they, almost exclusively, require handloading. More expense. Finally, you should know that probably a few years from now, the 6mm will be fading fast as competition shooters ever strive for a better mousetrap. The old truth is still valid: you don't get something for nothing. Competition aside, shooting rifles into mortar range was, and always will be, very expensive.

EDIT TO ADD - I only have one "long range" rifle today, it is based on the Remington 700 and is chambered for 308. As it is, I have more than $3000 in it. How much more is a closely guarded state secret. :scruntiny:
I think you misunderstood me. All I want to shoot is 1000 yards.
My buddy is on an entirely different level.
Thus gun would be strictly for punching steel. I have other guns for hunting. I'll keep my 25-06, 270s, and 7mm mag for hunting purposes.
I was just looking at the 6.5s for a 1000 yard shooter with soft recoil.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts

:yup:Yes, 300 Win Mag is great round. This rifle has done over 1,800 yards and this old man did under 1 1/2 MOA at one mile. I used SMK 200 grain and the 190SMK bullet. Rifle is just a Rem 700 P in 300 Win Mag.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
If it's for long range hunting and target, I would get a 30.06 or stepdown to 308. The 30.06 has got it over the 308 in the 175 grain and higher bullet weight. The 308 and 30.06 has more bullet options. The Rem 700 LR in 30.06 did little under 2'' group at 1,000 yards with a 175 grain SMK and IMR 4350 powder. The 308 and did 3 1/4'' at 1,000 with 155 grain A-max. But I'm just a old man playing.
SatCong...That is EXCELLENT shooting. What rifle were you using for the .308 shots?

I read some of the guys are shooting 308s out to what used be considered 300 WM distances - 1300 yards or so with the 190 and 200 SMKs. I don't know where your loads go transonic, but it appears the 155s might still be above the threshold.

Reactions: HoustonB77

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
SatCong...That is EXCELLENT shooting. What rifle were you using for the .308 shots?

I read some of the guys are shooting 308s out to what used be considered 300 WM distances - 1300 yards or so with the 190 and 200 SMKs. I don't know where your loads go transonic, but it appears the 155s might still be above the threshold.
The 308 was a Rem or a Savage. But like I said 30.06 would do better at 1,300 yards then a 308. My 175 grain load I have is still cooking above transonic at 1,300 yards. Now for the 308 with the 155 grain, they were a warm load and I did that to prove a point to my Son. He was shooting soda cans at a 1,000 yards. Just showing his man old man could still hack it. The round was over 2,900 FPS and it's hard on the weapon.:yup:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Thanks. 2900 for a 155 in .308 is motoring right along. Didn't seem to affect accuracy any. I think you proved your point. :smile:

I don't have a 30.06 anymore, but I'd still like to have one. It is a very capable round. I've found that the old 7.62X54R can be quite accurate as well and is just a couple of steps behind the 30.06. The old Mosin Nagants are not great for accuracy, but I paid less than $125 for my 1939 model in perfect condition. The barrel and rifling are like new. I was lucky and got to hand pick it.

Back on topic more or less, the Savage is an excellent choice for not having to spend a great deal to shoot out to 1000 yards. The main reason is you can change a barrel in seconds with simple tools. No headspacing problems. You can even change calibers.

Reactions: HoustonB77
1 - 20 of 35 Posts