Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the .40 S&W is supposedly now considered dead in some circles. It used to be the latest and greatest, just like the 10mm Auto before it.
How many other loads have had this befall them in the last century or so? Just curious. I myself wonder what happened to the 9x23 Winchester.

·
Registered
42,137 Posts
I have heard that the .40 S&W is supposedly now considered dead in some circles. It used to be the latest and greatest, just like the 10mm Auto before it.
How many other loads have had this befall them in the last century or so? Just curious. I myself wonder what happened to the 9x23 Winchester.
For me, it came and went without notice. Its circle of life did not cross mine.

Reactions: baren and Rabbit212

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For me, it came and went without notice. Its circle of life did not cross mine.
Well, the question isn't just limited to the .40. You've been around awhile, how many rounds have you seen being touted as the latest and greatest but didn't last? What about the Minne ball? Replaced by sabot rounds.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
10mm has came back to life due to a increase in handgun hunting. 9x23 unfortunately while a good cartridge was killed by the vary market it was built for. When the major requirements were lowered it was no longer necessary to run that fast of bullets to meet it. That said 40 S&W is a good cartridge for the intended role and there have been enough firearms produced in it since its inception it will be here for a very very long time. 38 super while one of my favorites seems to refuse to die though it started to early on when autos weren’t the number one. Then the same power and weight of bullet could be had in 357 just a few years later and then those who had started off liking 38 super dumped it for 357 and got the revolvers they preferred and were comfortable with back. Plus you could run far heavier Bullets at faster speeds thanks to case capacity. 357 Sig would have taken the place of 40 s&w had it been introduced a bit earlier IMO but lost our because 40 was already seen as a perfectly fine solution and thousands had adopted it. What amazes me is a rifle cartridge can come out and be just a bit different or for that matter offer basically nothing over its competitors a pistol round comes out and no one wants anything to do with it because it’s not the standard. When a lot of these offered something people actually wanted or where different then what was available.

·
Registered
42,137 Posts
Well, the question isn't just limited to the .40. You've been around awhile, how many rounds have you seen being touted as the latest and greatest but didn't last? What about the Minne ball? Replaced by sabot rounds.
Like the .30 & .357 Herretts? Great rounds that should still be produced. Of course they were never "production" rounds produced commercially, but they should have been.

The minie balls wasn't exactly replaced by sabots. The development of brass cartridges did that.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like the .30 & .357 Herretts? Great rounds that should still be produced. Of course they were never "production" rounds produced commercially, but they should have been.

The minie balls wasn't exactly replaced by sabots. The development of brass cartridges did that.
Well, yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. And as far as the Minne balls, I was thinking that black powder shooters continued to use them through the 20th century, and some may still do.

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
32-20, 38/44,44-40, 41 Colt, 38 S&W, 38 Colt, 7-30 Waters, 221 Fireball, 222, 218Bee, 35 Whelen...and I could continue.

45 GAP as of recent...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The 7mm08 round almost went the way of the dodo bird too. It's still not very popular today. It might die off because of a very similar round that has gained huge popularity. The 6.5 creedmor.

Try finding 16 gauge shotguns too. When I was in high school I used my Father's Remington pump action shotgun in 16 gauge to hunt with.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
32-20, 38/44,44-40, 41 Colt, 38 S&W, 38 Colt, 7-30 Waters, 221 Fireball, 222, 218Bee, 35 Whelen...and I could continue.

45 GAP as of recent...
I had a 32-20 in a early production 92 made for a good cartridge. Winchester as I recall at one point said it was the most popular cartridge east of the Mississippi River. Had a 1860 repo in 44-40 that’s a dandy of a cartridge as well. Both were not fun to reload for. Both I wish were not hads but rather haves.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
@demanic A forum moderator, own's a Colt 1911 "production" (NOT SOME ONE OFF model) in THIS caliber. There have been SO MANY calibers that have "come and gone", BUT I DOUBT .40 OR 10mm are going away anytime soon. TOO MANY "current production models still on the market"!

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Another caliber my Uncle made the "most amazing handloading project", he & my cousin "could do wonders with"! (Winchester Model 70) AND YET, also GONE*!

.264 Winchester Magnum - Wikipedia

*BUT, kinda back, with ALL these 6.5 junk, IN A WAY!

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
The 7mm08 round almost went the way of the dodo bird too. It's still not very popular today. It might die off because of a very similar round that has gained huge popularity. The 6.5 creedmor.

Try finding 16 gauge shotguns too. When I was in high school I used my Father's Remington pump action shotgun in 16 gauge to hunt with.
OR,10 gauge for that matter. BACK in the day, when the sky was dark, with birds, you wanted something "with an extra hefty charge", to get the most bang for your buck!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
OR,10 gauge for that matter. BACK in the day, when the sky was dark, with birds, you wanted something "with an extra hefty charge", to get the most bang for your buck!
Kinda came back for a bit when steel first became a thing because the loss of mass resulted in poorer performance the 3 1/2” 12s and the non-steel non-toxics seems to have all but killed them again.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@demanic A forum moderator, own's a Colt 1911 "production" (NOT SOME ONE OFF model) in THIS caliber. There have been SO MANY calibers that have "come and gone", BUT I DOUBT .40 OR 10mm are going away anytime soon. TOO MANY "current production models still on the market"!

As I said, I used the .40 S&W and 10mm as examples, not as limiters in the discussion.
Which btw I am hearing lots of great replies. I had always wanted a .264 Win Mag. Was able to afford a 6.5x55 Swede. My uncle had an old Winchester lever in 38-55. I had another uncle that had one in .348 Winchester. Not so easy to find ammo for those now.

·
Registered
42,137 Posts
Another dying cartridge that shouldn't be--7x57. Sweetheart of a round. But too many want to have that magic caliber that is so flat shooting one can't miss out to infinity. So much easier than learning how to correct for drop.

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
As are the 10mm Auto and 38-40, at least if you shoot the 38-40 out of a carbine.
I meant to say the 38-40, not the 44-40.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
Another dying cartridge that shouldn't be--7x57. Sweetheart of a round. But too many want to have that magic caliber that is so flat shooting one can't miss out to infinity. So much easier than learning how to correct for drop.
And the 6.5x5 Swedish mauser

1 - 20 of 179 Posts