Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I'd say that my best long range guns are a Winchester 70 featherweight in .270 or my Swedish 1896 Mauser in 6.5x55.
BOTH are fine performers.... That 96 Swedish is a REALY flat shooter... I wish I had a 96 Mauser.. I hear they "kill" on both ends...

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
BOTH are fine performers.... That 96 Swedish is a REALY flat shooter... I wish I had a 96 Mauser.. I hear they "kill" on both ends...
I love them both, But I would say that the '96 is softer shooting than the Winchester. It's got the full length wood stock and a 29" barrel. Years ago, shooting prone with open sights I think I got a 2" group at 200 yards. With surplus ammo.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I love them both, But I would say that the '96 is softer shooting than the Winchester. It's got the full length wood stock and a 29" barrel. Years ago, shooting prone with open sights I think I got a 2" group at 200 yards. With surplus ammo.
They shoot well with Norma ammo.....A Friend of mine.....Has a Swedish Mauser... shoots that Norma ammo from it... accurate out to the end of his club's range...600 Yds.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
@demanic DON'T let @CLASS3NH fool you. HE SAYS "he just works" at a gun store, BUT, I'm ALMOST SURE he OWN'S the gun store!! 😂 😂

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
When I was a kid one of my Uncles on my Mom's side owned a gun store, and a gas station/repair shop/tow/plowing establishment. When he died back in the 90's none of my cousins took it over because they didn't want to have to deal with the ATF paperwork.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I know, I know, there are people here that still use and carry this round, so don't get upset, but the first round that came to my mind when I read the OP was .38 Super. When I first started buying and carrying guns, it was touted as the next big thing but I don't hear much about it anymore and I can only find a few guns still in production that even chamber it.

I've read it still has some popularity in Australia and S. America due to legal restrictions on larger calibers, but I would still put it in the "came and went" category.
I’ve always wanted a .38 Super but, haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I think I would put it in the category of came, went and, has come again, to a certain degree.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Just think, once the vaunted FBI moves from the 9mm to the .380 as the ultimate police caliber, the former king-of-the-hill will disappear. And once their girly-men and little people can't handle that caliber, it will be the James Bond .32ACP, just as they declared the .38spl, .357mag, .45acp, 10mm, and .40cal as being too much for their agents, and therefore not suitable for the real Police. Testosterone-levels are shrinking in this country, guys.

·
Registered
42,330 Posts
Just think, once the vaunted FBI moves from the 9mm to the .380 as the ultimate police caliber, the former king-of-the-hill will disappear. And once their girly-men and little people can't handle that caliber, it will be the James Bond .32ACP, just as they declared the .38spl, .357mag, .45acp, 10mm, and .40cal as being too much for their agents, and therefore not suitable for the real Police. Testosterone-levels are shrinking in this country, guys.
Your glass is half empty.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,104 Posts
I warm up at the gun club with my .454 Casull and .44 magnums to loosen up the arthritis before going to the 10mm and .45 ACP carry guns.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Saw this one, today. I’d never heard of the round, had to look it up.

101 - 120 of 185 Posts