Defensive Carry banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
sometimes i do wish they would come out with an "auto-rim" version of the 40.....

gun-wise.....smith came close with the model 646....but she used moons....

with auto-rim, this would amount to more or less a "41 special" which is attractive....especially in an L frame six shot format.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
I know, I know, there are people here that still use and carry this round, so don't get upset, but the first round that came to my mind when I read the OP was .38 Super. When I first started buying and carrying guns, it was touted as the next big thing but I don't hear much about it anymore and I can only find a few guns still in production that even chamber it.

I've read it still has some popularity in Australia and S. America due to legal restrictions on larger calibers, but I would still put it in the "came and went" category.
.38 Super is still hugely popular for race guns in sanctioned competitions like IPSC/USPSA. It can be loaded to make major power factor and the high pressure makes a compensator very effective at minimizing recoil and muzzle jump.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
I picked up a Ruger 77 in 22 Hornet and a Browning A Bolt Micro Medallion 22 Hornet a few yrs back... Ruger was 125.00 and the Browning was 185.00
Did you shoot them enough to determine if one shot better than the other?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
sometimes i do wish they would come out with an "auto-rim" version of the 40.....

gun-wise.....smith came close with the model 646....but she used moons....

with auto-rim, this would amount to more or less a "41 special" which is attractive....especially in an L frame six shot format.
I have a Webley that shoots .45 Auto Rim. Accurate as all get out! Sometimes, I think I can even see some of the rounds in flight they’re so under-powered. Love shooting it, though.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It can be a bit overwhelming when you walk in that store for the first time. Everything from muskets to ARs.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If I'm ever in that area I will need to stop at that place. That's an impressive amount of firearms, and so many nice older ones...

·
Super Moderator
18,839 Posts

That looks like a yummy proper gun store from days of yore.

Here at the Home For Wayward Cartridges, all obsolete or semi-obsolete cartridges are given a home and "prescribed handloading therapy" to keep them active. Most may be handloaded for cheap.

Some were marketing efforts and very popular in their day, just as we witness marketing efforts and consumer fads come and go today. Most are pretty good for the purpose intended, even after as long as 150 years since introduction. Some accomplish tasks every bit as well as ( or better than) the current "latest and greatest" cartridge introduced to extract money from shooters. But, we gotta be seen to be trendy, shooting the latest and greatest you understand.

I'm near to being stumped on one I got last fall. I'm only now working to resurrect it. It's the .455 Self Loading, sometimes referred to as .455 Webley Automatic, for a World War I British contract Colt Government Model. Was a sort of British rendition of the .45 ACP, minutely larger in diameter. The .455 revolver cartridge isn't something encountered every day, but the .455 Self Loading is a hard one to chase down, cases and dies. I'm almost there with some custom cartridge cases on order and dies in the works. Loaded ammunition? Have scared up some World War I and Kynoch produced World War II ammunition. Nothing's been done with the cartridge since then.

Current center fire cartridge residents that require care and feeding in the Home For Wayward Cartridges include:

.22 Hornet
.223/5.56
.220 Swift
.25 ACP
.257 Roberts
.270 Winchester
7X57
.30 Carbine
.30-30
.30 Remington
.300 Savage
.30-40
.30-06
7.62X38R
7.62X39
7.62X54
.303 British
.303 ICL Improved (wildcat cartridge)
.32 ACP
.32 Long Colt
.32 S&W Long
.32-20
.32 Winchester Special
.351 Winchester Self Loading
.380 ACP
9mm Luger
9mm Steyr
9X23 Winchester
.38 Super
.38 S&W
.38 Long Colt
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.375 H&H Magnum
.38-40 WCF
.40 S&W
.41 Long Colt
.405 WCF
.41 Magnum
.44 Special
.44 Magnum
.45 ACP
.45 Auto Rim
.45 Colt
.455 Webley
.455 Self Loading
.45-70
.45-90 WCF

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That’s one heck of a list! WOW!!!
.35 Remington?

Reactions: demanic

·
Super Moderator
18,839 Posts
Wish I had a .35 Remington rifle. Looks like a first rate deer getter.

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It seems to be fading but I think it will still be around after I'm gone. Any 25 caliber will struggle and because of that, we'll not see much in the way of new bullets for that caliber. I' ve had very good luck over the years with getting the 25-06 to shoot well, very often around 3/4 MOA. Many years ago, I used a 25-06 to take a very large buck at around 600 yards with one shot. It's certainly one of my favorite cartridges.
I do not personally own one. I really like the 30-06 but I know a couple of people that use or used the 25-06 for deer hunting and really like it a lot. I have never shot one but my guess is it would be a lot less recoil than the 30-06 which I might want to switch to at some point.

·
Registered
42,330 Posts
I wish I had grabbed that .45-70 double rifle in the LGS priced for a song. At the time I thought it would be just the ticket to protect G-Man from that elephant in his avatar background.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard that the .40 S&W is supposedly now considered dead in some circles. It used to be the latest and greatest, just like the 10mm Auto before it.
How many other loads have had this befall them in the last century or so? Just curious. I myself wonder what happened to the 9x23 Winchester.
I have my XD40 from 2012 and LOVE it. It is mainly my bedside gun with a crimson trace light but I also take it out and run it periodically. Nothing wrong with .40 if you have one.

Now the XDM10 I got last year....beast!

141 - 160 of 185 Posts