Defensive Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I decide to do a SBR build, am I able to buy all of the components before I get my tax stamp and wait to put it all together after I get the stamp?

·
Super Moderator
18,247 Posts
Yes. Just don't put it together.

The ones that tell you that you cant do it because of "constructive possession" or "constructive intent" don't know what they are talking about.

Those were words invented by the ATF that got eliminated by the Supreme Court a few years ago.

Just keep them separated.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
With the long tax stamp wait times, I know a number of folks who built their SBR's initally as AR Pistols, defining the lower as a pistol on the 4473 and building with a pistol buffer tube or a regular tube, wrapped with paracord of rubber... keeping it far away from any unmounted butt stocks until the stamp comes in.

Personally I'm in the wait for it category, but that's me.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answer! I'm off to look at uppers now!

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, build it first as an AR pistol - then (if you could find ammo) you can run it through its traces before spending the money on SBR paperwork (some SBR uppers need tweaking to run properly). Switching to a rifle buffer tube+stock when the tax stamp comes in is simple.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Don't forget to get your lower "Marked" according to BATFE specs. There are some people that do it nicely and refinish for a reasonable price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts