Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North Dakota and South Carolina have announced they have signed a Reciprocity Agreement. SLED contacted me today and SLED and the ND AG have updated their websites to reflect this change.
Reciprocity with Other States
South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Colorado will have a 15 Round limit on Mags starting 7/1/13. The Governor signed the bill today. Anyone not living under a rock has heard about this Mag limit.
BREAKING: CO Gov. Hickenlooper Signs Mag Cap, Registration Bills | The Truth About Guns

NY Governor is now stating he wants to change the SAFE Act to allow the purchase and possession of 10 round Mags. You will still only be allowed to load 7 rounds in them though. The big item, that they really don’t want to discuss is they want to amend it to exempt Law Enforcement from the Mag Ban.
Cuomo says an upward revision in a gun-ammo law isn't political | Capital New York

Handgunlaw.us will be updated in the next 48 hours to show the above changes.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I wonder how these states will address having a full mag to the allowed legal limit then having one more round in the chamber.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
I wonder how these states will address having a full mag to the allowed legal limit then having one more round in the chamber.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...they haven't thought of that yet!!!!

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I had thought CO was limiting to 10? Even though a limit is absurd, 15 is a lot better! The bulk of the common defensive handguns wouldn't be affected.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I had thought CO was limiting to 10? Even though a limit is absurd, 15 is a lot better! The bulk of the common defensive handguns wouldn't be affected.
Most full-size nines will be impacted. Just another reason to stay the heck out of Colorado.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I guess I'm showing my age. Aside from the Glock 17 I couldn't think of another 9mm that held more than 15 rounds but it looks like they're out there. The highest capacity of any pistol I've ever had was the 15 rounds of my HK USP.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Well good for SC and ND......Just hope we can keep moving on the right path here in SC!

Reactions: phreddy

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, I curently have a couple 25 round mags for my MP 15-22, am I legal in keeping them or will they become iligeal to own even though Ive had them for a couple of years. And what about if I was to purchase a few more high capacity mags prior to the law taking effect here in CO. Could I legaly keep those as well? Denny/Denver CO

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So, I curently have a couple 25 round mags for my MP 15-22, am I legal in keeping them or will they become iligeal to own even though Ive had them for a couple of years. And what about if I was to purchase a few more high capacity mags prior to the law taking effect here in CO. Could I legaly keep those as well? Denny/Denver CO
That would depend on how the law is worded. If grandfathering is allowed, then yes, you can keep those mags you had prior to the law taking effect. If they wrote it like NY's new laws, they gave those with magazines over the new limit a time frame to get them out of state, either by giving them away or selling them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is how it will appear on the CO page at Handgunlaw.us late this evening or early tomorrow.

The New Law below becomes effective 7/1/13.

18-12-301. Definitions. As Used In This Part 3, Unless the Context Otherwise Requires:

(1) "Bureau" means the Colorado Bureau of Investigation created and existing pursuant to section 24-33.5-
401, C.R.S.

(2) (a) "large-capacity magazine means:
(I) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip, or similar device capable of accepting, or
that is designed to be readily converted to accept, more than fifteen rounds or ammunition;

(II) a fixed, tubular shotgun magazine that holds more than twenty-eight inches of shotgun shells,
including any extension device that is attached to the magazine and holds additional shotgun
shells; or

(III) a nontubular, detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip, or similar device that is capable of
accepting more than eight shotgun shells when combined with a fixed magazine.

(b) "large-capacity magazine" does not mean:

(I) a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than
fifteen rounds of ammunition;

(II) an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber
rimfire ammunition; or

(III) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

18-12-302. Large-Capacity Magazines Prohibited - Penalties - Exceptions.

(1) (a) except as otherwise provided in this section, on and after July 1,2013, a person who sells,
transfers, or possesses a large-capacity magazine commits a class 2 misdemeanor.

(b) any person who violates subsection (1) of this section after having been convicted of a prior
violation of said subsection (1) commits a class 1 misdemeanor.
(c) any person who violates subsection (1) of this section commits a class 6 felony if the person
possessed a large-capacity magazine during the commission of a felony or any crime of violence, as
defined in section 18-1.3-406.

(2) (a) a person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she:

(I) owns the large capacity magazine on the effective date of this section; and

(II) maintains continuous possession of the large-capacity magazine.

(b) if a person who is alleged to have violated subsection (1) of this section asserts that he or she is
permitted to legally possess a large-capacity magazine pursuant to paragraph (a) of this
subsection (2), the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion.

Denver Colorado Ordinance

Sec. 38-130. - Assault Weapons.
(b)(1) Assault weapon shall include all firearms with any of the following characteristics:
d. Any firearm which has been modified to be operable as an assault weapon as defined herein.
e. Any part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, including a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty-one (21) or more rounds, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
Note: With the new State Mag limitations starting 7/1/13 the Denver Ordinance will most likely be amended to state 15 rounds. Even with their ordinance stating 21 rounds after 7/1/13 the state limit will be 15.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I guess I'm showing my age. Aside from the Glock 17 I couldn't think of another 9mm that held more than 15 rounds but it looks like they're out there. The highest capacity of any pistol I've ever had was the 15 rounds of my HK USP.
My FNS holds 17 + 1

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Gary - any idea how they plan to prove which mags are grandfathered and which are not? Given that this is not a national ban like the last AWB, it would be pretty easy to go outside the state and buy used mags and represent that you have owned them since prior to the effective date. I smell a mag registration, probably with the guns being registered along with it. There is no other way to really prove the date of ownership for older mags.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
The crazy thing about the mag limit is that it also makes any mag with a removable floor plate illegal because it could be extended.
Where did you get this?

If this were true, then ALL semi-auto magazines would be prohibited, because they all have removable floor plates.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ksholder, It is going to be very difficult to enforce this ban. The last Part says it is the state that has to prove you didn't have it before the ban went into effect. So just because you have a 20 or 30 round mag doesn't make you a law breaker. They have to be able to prove you obtained it after the ban went into effect.

(b) if a person who is alleged to have violated subsection (1) of this section asserts that he or she is
permitted to legally possess a large-capacity magazine pursuant to paragraph (a) of this
subsection (2), the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts