Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my search to find some reasonably priced 30 M1 Carbine ammo, I came across a few "sellers" with prices and availability that seemed far too good to be true. I came across more than one of these operations with reasonably flashy web cites etc. Upon investigation, they were in fact, as you might guess, really too good to be true. So caution everyone. There are now a lot of scam artists out there looking to take your money. Most of us on this board know who the reputable national sellers are. However, that siren sound of that great deal still calls out, and as in days of old, will land you on the rocks.

·
Premium Member
9,020 Posts
Adding that most scammers only take paypal, f & f or other "cash" pay methods. If they don't take real credit cards you have no recourse to getting your money back. That's it folks.

I had to file a fraud claim one time with my credit card company for a full case of ammo for a semi-known seller. Magically, less than 4 days after I filed the claim (VISA contacted the seller), my order was on the way, for weekend delivery no less. My son had the same experience. A national credit card can be your best friend. But NOT a debit card.

@Gaius - advice applies particularly to guns, ammo and parts but is true for a lot of other merchandise as well. I have used PP F&F for items from people I know, but never for anything from "some web site."

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Unfortunately, the shooting community seems to have a significant number of members who will fall for this crap. I guess it's either desperation or gullibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Adding that most scammers only take paypal, f & f or other "cash" pay methods. If they don't take real credit cards you have no recourse to getting your money back. That's it folks.

I had to file a fraud claim one time with my credit card company for a full case of ammo for a semi-known seller. Magically, less than 4 days after I filed the claim (VISA contacted the seller), my order was on the way, for weekend delivery no less. My son had the same experience. A national credit card can be your best friend. But NOT a debit card.

@Gaius - advice applies particularly to guns, ammo and parts but is true for a lot of other merchandise as well. I have used PP F&F for items from people I know, but never for anything from "some web site."
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT; I often have to use the "dispute" feature on my credit card.
For small amounts,the credit comes thru almost instantly,for larger ones they investigate and get the merchants side of the story.

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
First warning sign is finding any 30 carbine that is a normal price .. I have not seen normal price 30 carbine in a long long time ..SGA use to have a half way ok deal on surplus but I think its gone now

And yeah a lot of fake scam sites ..There are only a few palces I buy ammo from anymore either due to high shipping at other places or the level of stuff you have to deal with to buy from them ie send them a ID etc

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have come across a couple of those websites over the last 2 years. A few red flags are everything in stock for prices you would be dreaming of pre-covid. Some of these websites have addresses over seas. Also some will only take paypal, or some weird 3rd party payment.

I will type in the "website" with the word "review" after it in google. There will be plenty of reviews of people getting ripped off.

·
Registered
17,391 Posts
I have come across a couple of those websites over the last 2 years. A few red flags are everything in stock for prices you would be dreaming of pre-covid. Some of these websites have addresses over seas. Also some will only take paypal, or some weird 3rd party payment.

I will type in the "website" with the word "review" after it in google. There will be plenty of reviews of people getting ripped off.
You can send me some money.

·
Registered
50,912 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I will not judge anyone on that. I can see how someone can get the urge to jump on something they have been looking for.
Yup- They probably respond to the Nigerian prince too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts