Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to get calls like this and I would tell them come and arrest me, haven’t been arrested yet. DIRECTV puts the name and number on-screen and if it says unavailable, unknown or it is a number I don’t recognize I just don’t answer, if it is important they can leave a message.

Apex Police Captain gets scam call claiming she's about to be arrested in viral Facebook post

APEX, N.C. - (WTVD) -- An Apex Police captain was on the other end of a scam call where a man told her a sheriff's deputy was on the way to arrest her. It was a teachable moment - and social media gold.

During a chat with two men who went by the names of 'John Black' and 'Jason Brown,' Captain Ann Stephens was told she was facing as many as 25 charges in two conversations. The men told her their talk was being monitored by several agencies. The department posted video of the call to its Facebook page, hoping to convince people not to engage when asked for personal information over the phone.

"These are scam calls," Stephens said. "Don't ever give out your information. Don't ever verify their information even if they have it."

The caller asks for Stephens' address and last four digits of her social security number, which the caller claims there were numerous charges filed against.
When asked for her address, Stephens gave the address for the Police department - 205 Saunders Street.
https://abc11.com/apex-police-captain-scam-call-goes-viral/5498680/

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I used to get calls like this and I would tell them come and arrest me, haven’t been arrested yet.
Here is a situation where ethnic trolling would be acceptable, just to spike the perp’s blood pressure. Of course, this lady is being recorded, and she’s probably too nice to boot. Otherwise ...

·
Registered
497 Posts
We are getting a lot of auto warranty and computer security calls at work on our cell phones. We have a contest going right now to see who can keep the caller on the phone the longest. The only rule is you must put this on speaker so everyone can hear. One guy managed to keep them one of the scammers on the phone for nearly 20 minutes before the caller caught on and cussed him out. Once we get so far and we can't go any longer, we use "test" credit card numbers that show a communication but no money can be exchanged. Absolutely infuriates them. Of course, we stumble around and take a few minutes to "read" the card number out correctly.

We pissed one computer refund scam group off so bad they don't even call us anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,117 Posts
I got two calls today - caller ID was Anonymous. The caller claimed to be from a police charity of some sort. I told both of the jerks that when they were using Anonymous as their ID they were getting NOTHING. Both sounded a bit surprised, but both said, "OK" as I hung up. And as usual I reported both calls to Nomorobo on line.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I just got a call from "Social Security," stating my account was locked. I've also had 2 calls stating I had warrants out for my arrest. Yup, ha, ha.

I'm gonna have one of these in book 3 of my series, to the Ambassador. Gonna troll the trolls, since they had his address (the one scammer had mine) it becomes a CIA/NSA issue. Because he's also a co-captain of a US Space warship (married to the captain) it becomes top priority over everything. Oooohhhhhhhhhh, gonna have some fun with that one. Too bad that doen't happen for real, betting the full assets of a few alphabet soup agencies involved.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Today I've decided that once a human is on the line, I'm just going to say, "Being a piano player in a whorehouse is a more reputable job than what you're doing.' <click>

Reactions: Nifty and msgt/ret

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I have found that some of my favorite quotes from "Full Metal Jacket" are useful.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Got one the other day saying that the warranty on our car was about to expire. I thought that it was pretty good that we still had a warranty on a 14 year old car or a 19 year old truck.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I get those dadgum calls at lunch and supper time almost daily. Every once and awhile I engage the 'agent' and troll them until they call me really bad names and hang up.

I will get some form of entertainment outta the call....

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
I don't answer calls from numbers that are not in my phone directory. My voice mail tells the caller that if they don't leave a message, their number will be blocked. 99% of the calls I don't answer, the caller doesn't leave a message. I block the caller's number. The number of calls I get from scammers has decreased to just a couple a week. The last two weeks I have not received any.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
ring... ring... ring.

YOU: "Hello, police department."
THEM: "[click]"

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Technology gone amuck - fed by greed and the gullibility of the American public. Scammers, I don't like you.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have to work, or be available at times for extended hours. When I get a chance to sleep some during the day, I put my phone on silent, but it really makes me mad that I have to do so. I keep thinking I have to change my behavior just because some jack ass decides to run a scam. These people will never come to a door and knock on it - why should they be allowed to robo call people? And I feel for nurses and stuff who work night shifts and get this crap during the day. They essentially close themselves off to say an emergency call from a family member or someone else calling on behalf of a family member with a real emergency. Supposedly the govt is cracking down in this but I haven't seen much improvement personally.

So when a call comes in and I do happen to answer it, and provided I have time, my goal is to waste their time as long as possible. I lie to them, play dumb, act like I didn't hear the instructions correctly, pretend I can't log into their web site, transpose and read back numbers they instruct me to do something with, act like I misplaced my wallet, etc. The warranty companies are funny cause the first thing I tell them is that I was just shopping for a warranty with my credit union. This really lights up whoever the live person shows up. The I go on to make up an exotic car I have and start asking them all kinds of questions.

The computer scams are bad. We get one of two every other week. The first is from "Microsoft" telling me they found a virus and things are running slow. They want you to log into their site but they end up taking over your PC and you gotta pay to get it back. We really drag this one out. First I tell them I have MacAffee running and I cant connect to the site, then the idiot goes through all the steps to disable. When he gives the site address, I always key it in "wrong". www.fixmy.... I tell them it comes back no page found. After making them tell me a few times, they finally make me read back what I typed in, I tell them "w, w, w, d, o,t,f, i, x, m, y". The response is "no, no, no" and then they try to explain the differecne in a " ." and " d o t". I've worked on a help desk enough in my lifetime to know what is going to frustrate someone.

When the scammer calls wanting to give me a refund, we go through the same thing but I have bogus or dummy card numbers (we use at work to test transactions). Some were actually supplied from the card companies. This is pure gold. Amex pisses them off the most for some reason.

When I am done, I set my phone to block the number. I will eventually get that component that supposedly you can buy and download and it will block most incoming scam calls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts