Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my family (Wife, her mother and her step-father) went to Costco for our weekly shelf stocking and to take advantage of their free samples. :hand10:

When we were through eating our hot dogs we made the long trek out to the parking lot to find our vehicle when suddenly an older man with a long straggly white beard starting hollering "Hey!, Hey YOU!" looking right at us. He was making a point to come in our direction from my immediate 12 o'clock. He quickened his pace toward us and kept yelling. At about 20 feet, away, ( I was in condition orange quickly elevating to red) when my Step Father-in-law yelled back "Hey I know you!" It was an old friend. Thank goodness.

They talked for a while, I was putting the purchases in the car, and we left. A little while later I told my step father-in-law that situation made me uneasy. They all joked about me blowing away a long time friend of the family in the parking lot of Costco. I didn't find it funny in the slightest, but I did breath a sigh of relief that nothing major happened.

It really didn't cross my mind to go for my gun, it did and it didn't. Let me explain what my thought process was in the short time this happened. "Who's yelling and why? oh there he is, what does he want? Is he a threat to me or my family? yes but no weapon, what does he want? should I step in front of everyone real quick and try to intercept him before he gets to someone else? If I suspect a weapon, I'm going for it. (my hand went back to the 3:30 position), Oh Thank God, Hes a friend." All that happened within something like 7 seconds.

Just thought I would share that little story that happened. Something exciting that doesnt happen everyday.

·
Registered
191 Posts
To me, it sounds like a bit of paronoia. Sounds like the man did nothing agressive other than approaching your direction. It happens often.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would say that it's a good thing your family is comfortable with your instincts and not freaking out that you were hypersensetive. Way to keep your head, and stay safe.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
All's well that ends well. Chalk it up as experience and you're awareness and reaction will improve.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re;

To me, it sounds like a bit of paronoia. Sounds like the man did nothing agressive other than approaching your direction. It happens often.
to me, it sounds like being prepared... good SA...

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Any one I don't know that is trying that hard to close the gap gets my full undivided attention and there is a certain point where I will stop them from approaching any closer

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
One can never be to cautious...always have a plan.:yup:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
"When we were through eating our hot dogs we made the long trek out to the parking lot to find our vehicle when suddenly an older man with a long straggly white beard starting hollering "Hey!, Hey YOU!" looking right at us. He was making a point to come in our direction from my immediate 12 o'clock. He quickened his pace toward us and kept yelling. At about 20 feet, away, ( I was in condition orange quickly elevating to red) when my Step Father-in-law yelled back "Hey I know you!" It was an old friend. Thank goodness."

Awareness by itself is useless,you need a plan.

At 20 feet it was almost too late to do anything without
possible harm coming to one of your group.
(you were aware of the threat before that )

Since we can't generally shoot or beat on people for startling us ,the only other option to defend the group was to interpose yourself between them and the threat.

Hopefully you could deter a possible attacker by
unexpectedly blocking their route and responding
vocally.

Rule # 1 is to make using your weapon unnecessary
by avoiding a violent confrontation.

Don't just see the threat - remove the threat.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
what are you saying?...he should have shot him?...

jezuz...you guys scare me....if every time someone approaches we have to go into some kind of friggin code colored spectrum we really need to evaluate our medication level...

by the way...i didnt see a plan in the op...just that uneasy feeling that could be described as freaking out...at least enough to post the information here...wow...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
...if every time someone approaches we have to go into some kind of friggin code colored spectrum we really need to evaluate our medication level...
Pretty much I'm going to employ the color code of awareness 24/7. And be very skeptical of anyone getting close to me, whom I don't know. Maybe even a few that I do :wink:

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
You played it right. Yes, your were scared, about what might have happened. But you didn't present your weapon, you didn't fire and you didn't kill anyone. I guess that most encounters happen like this, out of the blue with little or no warning, and your brain trying to decide between fight or flight. You did right because all ended well. I hope that I would be as level headed as you in the same circumstances.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Is he a threat to me or my family? yes but no weapon ...
Yes??

A threat requires far more, IMO, than merely walking toward you, or even walking toward you trying to get your attention. I mean, after all, it was inside a crowded store and you were with a number of people in a group. There should be a clear difference between threatening behavior and other behavior. As some suggest, context is everything.

Of course, this requires you to allow people greater proximity, greater access, etc., prior to judging the contact as a threat. But, this is a society of liberties, with free movement by citizens. Keep in mind that the other person is a citizen, too, with all the rights and responsibilities that you have.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
A threat requires far more, IMO, than merely walking toward you, or even walking toward you trying to get your attention. I mean, after all, it was inside a crowded store and you were with a number of people in a group. There should be a clear difference between threatening behavior and other behavior. As some suggest, context is everything.
"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

·
Registered
9 Posts
what are you saying?...he should have shot him?...

jezuz...you guys scare me....if every time someone approaches we have to go into some kind of friggin code colored spectrum we really need to evaluate our medication level...

by the way...i didnt see a plan in the op...just that uneasy feeling that could be described as freaking out...at least enough to post the information here...wow...
Wow indeed. It is doubtful the "threat" was yelling in an angry voice since he was hailing a friend. Just the approach alone almost sent the op into condition red. Very scary. There are many reasons he could have been approaching, a forgotten credit card, package, dropped wallet etc. There are MANY people on this board who see every unexpected interpersonal encounter as a mortal threat. Its ridiculous.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well for me personally, I don't care for extreme extroverts who yell "Hey You" from across the store. Also if he knew them why wouldn't he call by name instead of Hey you? Not that it comes down to drawing or anything, but I can see how it would make one uncomfortable all right.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Also if he knew them why wouldn't he call by name instead of Hey you?
- Well, he did say it was an older man. Maybe he was like Uncle Leo. "I'm an old man. I'm confused! I thought I paid for it. What's my name? Will you take me home?" :rofl:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay, first off it was in a parking lot. Not that it really matters where its at. But it was OUTSIDE in a "not so friendly" neighborhood. So I have that running through my head too. Secondly, he did say "HEY YOU" in a manner that was not friendly. I dont want to say it was anger, but it was in a threating voice to me. I think he was just joking with my Father-in-law.

Hind sight is always 20/20. Looking back, yeah, I didnt have an exit plan. I was walking to it. I keep my head on a swivel ALL THE TIME and this guy stood out. Flight never entered my mind. I was never going to abandon my family if this guy tried anything stupid. I would have thrown my wife (who was in front of me) to the ground while drawing my weapon and firing two shots center mass. I have no issues with this. The fact that this guy didnt pose that much of a threat to me or my family (but still a threat. Anyone who approaches me is considered a threat until I know who they are and what their intentions are) I feel like I did the right thing. As soon as I found out this guy is a friend whom I have never met and obviously had not been around my family in a while since they didn't recognize him off the bat, I stood down.

Yes, I use the color scale set fourth by Homeland Security. Its a easy way of telling YOU how I felt and what I was thinking.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You never know. He might be a deranged lunitic hell bent on revenge because you swiped the last hot pocket sample. I know it pisses me off when im waiting and someone swoops in from the side and jacks my little johnsonville braut on a toothpick. STAY IN LINE PEOPLE OR SO HELP ME I WILL GO CONDITION HUNGRY!!!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Bottom line: you had a defensive firearm on your person and you evaluate the people in your vicinity. You encountered someone acting in an aggressive manner (albeit a joke) and heightened your awareness. You were prepared to go to the next level, if need be. As I read your story, you did fine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Today my family (Wife, her mother and her step-father) went to Costco for our weekly shelf stocking and to take advantage of their free samples. :hand10:

When we were through eating our hot dogs we made the long trek out to the parking lot to find our vehicle when suddenly an older man with a long straggly white beard starting hollering "Hey!, Hey YOU!" looking right at us. He was making a point to come in our direction from my immediate 12 o'clock. He quickened his pace toward us and kept yelling. At about 20 feet, away, ( I was in condition orange quickly elevating to red) when my Step Father-in-law yelled back "Hey I know you!" It was an old friend. Thank goodness.

They talked for a while, I was putting the purchases in the car, and we left. A little while later I told my step father-in-law that situation made me uneasy. They all joked about me blowing away a long time friend of the family in the parking lot of Costco. I didn't find it funny in the slightest, but I did breath a sigh of relief that nothing major happened.

It really didn't cross my mind to go for my gun, it did and it didn't. Let me explain what my thought process was in the short time this happened. "Who's yelling and why? oh there he is, what does he want? Is he a threat to me or my family? yes but no weapon, what does he want? should I step in front of everyone real quick and try to intercept him before he gets to someone else? If I suspect a weapon, I'm going for it. (my hand went back to the 3:30 position), Oh Thank God, Hes a friend." All that happened within something like 7 seconds.

Just thought I would share that little story that happened. Something exciting that doesnt happen everyday.
Wow! How do you exist in daily life? Had a very similar thing happen as the wife and I exited a dining spot in Knoxville on Saturday night. Guy approached, wanted money to buy a couple of burgers - told him we would go buy them and to wait where he was. Returned and gave the guy some food. No thoughts of who this was. I did not go into any "code orange or code red". People are hungry these days - or are just friends attempting to say hello.

I say stay home if no one can speak to each other. Wonder how Jesus would appear approaching us? Sketchy? Geez, I wonder how people live from day to day. Makes me think some should not own guns - always got that nervous trigger finger syndrome.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts