Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a AR sitting around for a while with no magazine in it. I wanted to upgrade the optics on it. Brought out the rifle, Pulled back the bolt and eased it forward, nothing came out. Put in a bore sight muzzle version, with my new sight and dialed it in. Brought it in the house and was putting it away, locked bolt back and a round dropped out! How did I miss this? I must have pulled the bolt enough times but I failed the basic check, look and verify a safe firearm. I'm very disappointed in myself right now, thankfully no harm no foul. I guess a reminder how easily simple steps missed could lead to a disaster. Tell me I'm not the only one who went wtf did I just dodge. Many years handling and just time to reestablish working habits.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You are not the only one! Familiarity breeds complacency. Safety shortcuts always will eventually result in something unsafe happening. Glad it was just a wakeup call.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
As I am getting older and the old memory is not as sharp as it used to be i have been contemplating making a safety check list
Check off items as I handle guns for maintenance as a reminder to myself.
Just wonder if I would forget to use it.
Glad you did not have to patch a hole in the wall or worse.

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
I've had rounds unexpectedly come flying out of the chamber when the slide/bolt carrier was racked. Thank goodness for the rules of safe gun handling.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Spokane1969, no you are not alone. Maybe you missed my post last year, but I had to patch a hole in our kitchen wall.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
It can happen when we don’t slow down and go thru the whole process of checking the weapon. Happened to me once with a revolver. One live round didn’t eject. Found it when cleaning the weapon. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Glad God was watching over you, Spokane1969. All it takes is a momentary distraction that you don't even realize happened. Don't beat yourself up, good training prevented the single miss from becoming several. I think one of my greatest blessings has been realizing that I can't trust myself and to do multiple checks even when I am sure the weapon is clear.

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
I've seen several newbies who think that if they pull the slide back but do not lock it, letting it go forward again, your quick glance is enough to verify empty. They get a firm message from me! The way I was taught, "Show me empty" means only one thing and that is slide or bolt locked back, or revolver cylinder fully open to the side. How else can you VERIFY empty?

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
It happens to the best of me . . . umm, us!

Reactions: Spokane1969
1 - 13 of 13 Posts