Defensive Carry banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
So sad that the days of taking "dad's" handgun/rifle/shotgun out and learning to shoot in the back 40 is in the rear view mirror for most!
Come to think of it I learned by myself, dad was always at work or on the tractor, on the back 40. Mom did not like it either. Only had 1 incident, note to self never try to tamp 22 lr's into the cylinder (due to so much dry firing so much the cylinder was peened over!) Had to calm mom down when I walked in with my bloody thumb wrapped up and said, "I think I need to go to the doctor." But at least I followed all the safety rules, the round impacted the trash can it was aimed at and I didn't hit myself with a bullet! Thanks Jeff Cooper preaching Gun Safety in Guns & Ammo.
Oh the folly of youth, how did we ever survive?
Awww, ya didn鈥檛 hit your thumb with the hammer, did you?!!:LOL: And, with nobody else there to see it?!!馃槴

Registered
Craziest thing I ever saw was at a very well run outdoor range with an RSO and a loud speaker system. Shooting was strictly controlled by the commands of the RSO on the speaker system. All handgun positions were full and firing was in progress. A guy all of a sudden walks out onto the range going toward his target in the midst of all that firing. I was close to him so saw him and stopped shooting but most everyone was unaware and continued blazing away. He got all the way to his 25 yard target before the apoplectic RSO got everyone to stop shooting. The guy was very indignant over being told to leave! You just never know what people might do!
I guess some folks just don't understand physics. A lead mass traveling 850-3000+ fps. What could possibly go wrong?

Registered
Nothing like meeting up with irresponsible shooters to dampen one's enthusiasm for range time. I try to time my range trips for mid-mornings on weekdays to avoid congestion, but that doesn't always work.

Reactions: Kenny53

Premium Member
Many, many years ago, I was the only guy at a local range (No RSO) and had gone out to my 100 yd target to see how the Contender .22 Hornet was doing. As I straightened up after diagnosing the target, a shot was fired. There was a guy at the firing line and he hadn't seen me.
I switched targets and walked calmly back, but by the time I got there, he was gone.
Probably a good thing.

Same range a few years later, the fella next to me was bang, bang, banging away and then I a heard a "click". He looks over at me and points the muzzle right in my face and asks, "can you help me with this?". Never had I wanted to bust someone in the face as bad as that.

Registered
Without a doubt, there are people handling firearms who shouldn't be, at least not until they've have firearms safety drilled, and I mean thoroughly drilled, into their heads.

A few years back, I went elk hunting with an old high school buddy. He brought his FIL along. At the end of the first day, sun had just gone down, his FIL decided before heading back to camp it was time to unload his 30-06. He pulls the rifle from the scabbard, passes it over to his left hand, left hand on the pistol grip so he can operate the bolt with the right, trigger finger inside the trigger guard, snicks off the safety and BOOM! The muzzle was pointed our general direction, the round passed off to the side of us. His FIL stated there must be something wrong with his gun, I offered to inspect the trigger adjustment when we got back to camp, he declined, I told my buddy I'd be hunting far away from his FIL the next day.
At the end of the next day, back at camp, my buddy said his FIL did the exact same thing that day. I couldn't think of any suggestions for anything that wasn't obvious.

Registered
Mandatory firearm safety and marksmanship training would violate the 2nd Amend according to some but the training sure would be a great idea! (y)
If it was mandated by the government, yes. But, there's nothing unconstitutional about private ranges from instituting some requirements to use the range - beyond watching a video. Of course, that would require additional man power (costs) to the business and putting any 'barriers' in place could dissuade consumers from using your facility.

Registered
Awww, ya didn鈥檛 hit your thumb with the hammer, did you?!!:LOL: And, with nobody else there to see it?!!馃槴
Nope could be called a premature detonation, all brass shrapnel. Doctor tried to dig it out without anesthesia! Still have 2 pieces in thumb & shoulder. Not my most shining moment! But I never lost my cool!

Registered
I do all my shooting at outdoor ranges and there are no RSO's. Most of the time I'm there alone so all good but when others come after I'm there or if there are already other people there when I arrive I always watch for a while before starting/resuming shooting. If I see people acting in what I consider an unsafe manner I leave and come back another time.

I was at the range once when a guy arrived with his 3 grandsons who he informed me were all new shooters. These were guys in their 20's but paps had them well under control and acting responsibly. He also had an impressive array of pistols and offered to let me shoot some of them but I declined as I normally don't feel right about shooting somebody else's guns, especially when they are strangers.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts