Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Ceapea
No barrel bulge when it's not been a squib that caused the catastrophic failure. Barrels bulge when there's been an obstruction. The pics show NO bulge in the barrel/rifling area.
I would think the barrel would have had to stay together in order for there to be a bulge. Your first post said it split in half. So therefore...
No bulge :smile:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I would think the barrel would have had to stay together in order for there to be a bulge. Your first post said it split in half. So therefore...
No bulge :smile:
Microseconds is all it would require to bulge a barrel that exploded due to an obstruction, no?

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Microseconds is all it would require to bulge a barrel that exploded due to an obstruction, no?
Probably. It doesn't take much.
But the bulge is caused from one bullet hitting the other. For the barrel to split like that it would almost have to be a pressure situation from the gasses, which would not bulge a specific area. Or a defective barrel, which is my guess.
If it wasn't already in use and firing other rounds I'd almost guess there was an obstruction right at the muzzle and it happened the first shot.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
I'm with SatCong on this. I'm noticing the roughness of the splits. Looks like a hard, brittle material shattered other than a clean rip. It has the appearance of broken cast iron, other than a piece of steel. Properly treated steel would have more of smother tear, and not such a rough surface. Generally, when a good steel barrel Kabooms, it bends the pieces. Those appear to be, almost, straight.

The first few rounds could have caused a crack and the last round took it out.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
It has the appearance of broken cast iron, other than a piece of steel.
What do you want to bet the consultant SCCY hired that suggested saving money by using old cast iron skillets as raw material for their barrels is out of a job today.........

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm with SatCong on this. I'm noticing the roughness of the splits. Looks like a hard, brittle material shattered other than a clean rip. It has the appearance of broken cast iron, other than a piece of steel. Properly treated steel would have more of smother tear, and not such a rough surface. Generally, when a good steel barrel Kabooms, it bends the pieces. Those appear to be, almost, straight.

That's what I thought when I saw the pictures, although it's hard to tell that much from the photo.

But a metallurgist could tell you quite a lot, if he had the broken barrel to examine.

Glad no one was seriously injured !

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Probably. It doesn't take much.
But the bulge is caused from one bullet hitting the other. For the barrel to split like that it would almost have to be a pressure situation from the gasses, which would not bulge a specific area. Or a defective barrel, which is my guess.
If it wasn't already in use and firing other rounds I'd almost guess there was an obstruction right at the muzzle and it happened the first shot.
Over on the SCCY forum, one is pictured nearly identical to this blow up. It was sent back and the person who inspected decided it was not ammo related but a bad barrel. He believed it started from the breach end, right side.

Not sure if the pics show it well enough, but there's indication of powder burns on the right side of barrel and the other side is clean. That might be indicative of the same failure reported on the other gun that was inspected.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

It looked cast to me as well, but it's been reported their barrels are from bar stock. Sure doesn't give the appearance of bar stock

·
Registered
188 Posts
My guess is that the barrel was over hardened making it brittle. Firing it at the factory and then by the new owner caused micro-fractures in the steel. Even a visual inspection after the penultimate round would have, most likely, shown nothing wrong.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic, but there could have been a flaw in the material. The roughness could indicate an inclusion or pocket of contaminant in the blank. It might have been detectible by X-ray or magna-flux before the event, but who does that to their guns?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The pistol also turned pink ...

That looks as if its the chamber that has blown up .. ... Either a fracture in the chamber .. Or a round that was charged to much .. thus causing increased pressure ...
Im glad everyone is OK... This could have ended up alot worse !!!!!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Im just about positive its not a squibb round,,, the reason I say that .. If a round is so under powered that it can not exit the barrel .. would it have the energy to be able to cycle another round ???

Hopefully SCCY can figure it out ...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ceapea
No barrel bulge when it's not been a squib that caused the catastrophic failure. Barrels bulge when there's been an obstruction. The pics show NO bulge in the barrel/rifling area.
Well, I stand corrected. Err, well, I sit corrected...

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Improper heat treat can make a metal look like its been cast. The granular appearance of cast is much like that of a hardened steel.

Having seen several rifles and handguns that were catastrophic failures due to improperly treated heat treat (too hard or too soft), my guess would be that they had a bad lot of barrels go out.

Proper heat treat would see the barrel or slide bend first. Too hard and it breaks like glass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im just about positive its not a squibb round,,, the reason I say that .. If a round is so under powered that it can not exit the barrel .. would it have the energy to be able to cycle another round ???

The OP also posted earlier in the thread that he heard the previous shot hit the steel target down range.

·
Super Moderator
21,912 Posts
1,458 Posts

I've had squib rounds that cycled the action. Fortunately I noticed that the previous round sounded funny. It was a friend's gun, loaded with reloads from his father-in-law. Never using ammo from him again.

81 - 100 of 201 Posts