Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 201 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I've had squib rounds that cycled the action. Fortunately I noticed that the previous round sounded funny. It was a friend's gun, loaded with reloads from his father-in-law. Never using ammo from him again.
I had one in a 45acp that cycled the slide, during a match. The RO and I both heard it and while shooting at a 3-4 rds a second pace, somehow I got off the trigger registering the pop. We were both shocked I was able to do that and not hang another one behind catastrophically. He didn't have enough time to touch my shoulder and I was lowering the gun. Got real lucky, that was a factory winchester 230 ball load/

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
I saw an SR1911 that had a live round in the chamber and a stuck slide. Turns out a bullet hit the squib and they both exited (after bulging the barrel) and the next round was chambered.
I do not know if the squib cycled the slide or was the last round before a magazine reload.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I had one in a 45acp that cycled the slide, during a match. The RO and I both heard it and while shooting at a 3-4 rds a second pace, somehow I got off the trigger registering the pop. We were both shocked I was able to do that and not hang another one behind catastrophically. He didn't have enough time to touch my shoulder and I was lowering the gun. Got real lucky, that was a factory winchester 230 ball load/
Huzzah !

You take home ALL the Kewpie dolls for that move, Brownie ! :adore:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Huzzah !

You take home ALL the Kewpie dolls for that move, Brownie ! :adore:
It was likely due to the fact I had been running 5K a month through that gun for several years at that point. I guess the subconscious mind picked up the difference in sound and feel. I just got lucky, but the RO and I were all smiles while I stepped off the line and punched it out in the clearing area. The RO actually let me run the stage over for score. Lady luck was smiling upon me once again is all.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I must say my SCCY has run great .. This is my first SCCY .. But as mentioned by myself and others .. It can happen with any gun maker .. Or any ammo maker ....
I've got a 3 yr old CPX2. It has been flawless (almost, an early failure to lock the slide open at last rd was corrected with new mag springs) and very easy to shoot accurately. It will eat anything I feed it, factory plinking, SD and handloaded ammo. It carries surprisingly well for a 11 rd pistol. Very compact! The trigger pull itself is not a problem. It has lightened up quite a bit over many 100's or rounds (actually just over 1800 now) and is actually pretty smooth. The ONLY thing that I can say I am not a fan of is, the loooong reset. I just need to remember to use the pad of my finger and not the first joint. If I use the joint, the trigger guard keeps my finger back just enough to prevent reset. With the pad, reset is not a problem. So, I practice a lot, using just the pad. The CPX2 is so small, that I used to tend to wrap my finger around the trigger.
To make this pistol perfect, SCCY should extend/expand the trigger guard about 1/4".

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It was likely due to the fact I had been running 5K a month through that gun for several years at that point. I guess the subconscious mind picked up the difference in sound and feel. I just got lucky, but the RO and I were all smiles while I stepped off the line and punched it out in the clearing area. The RO actually let me run the stage over for score. Lady luck was smiling upon me once again is all.
If there is any substitute for experience (especially recent experience) Lady Luck would be it. I've heard it said that luck favors the prepared.

I believe that. But certainly, it was luck that saved you (and your friends) from injury when that pink SCCY KB'd.

I'm beginning to think you're also skilled at standing outside the path of shrapnel (probably from experience.)

But I'll take Lady Luck, anytime ! Anytime I can have her, that is... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Yes you were lucky. That was always in the back of my mind, that could happen to me. And if I would get off the trigger in time. I seen it take place more then I can recall.

·
Super Moderator
18,250 Posts
More pics
Guess JB Weld won't fix that.

Above Omaha beach in Normandy, I once saw 150mm German coastal defense guns, both barrel and breach, burst in the same manner and exhibiting the same torn granular structure. They'd been hit by gunfire from the U. S. battleships Arkansas and Texas though. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/187640-really-big-bore-guns.html

A few years back, the local gunsmith showed me this Smith & Wesson Model 60 that a customer brought him, claiming it'd failed when fired with a factory +P load of some sort. Neither of us believe it. I asked if I could photograph the mess. I think it's still hanging around on one of his workbenches as a curiosity yet.

Any gun from any manufacturer can fail. I'd still rather avoid the low-end ones.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Any word back from SCCY as to the cause of the failure?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah, I traded off the CPX I had. It ran OK, but it still felt kinda "cheap", and one of the pins kept "walking" out while shooting. I have never had this issue with either of my Glocks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm a little late to this thread but a couple of thoughts (sorry for being long-winded):

Notice the slide expands out from the muzzle end of the chamber which seems to suggest that the failure started in the chamber with the pressures pushing up and out toward the muzzle of the weapon. Also notice that the splayed out ends of the slide are still attached to to overall piece (at the hood and just under the extractor). They basically folded out and bent. This shows proper plastic deformation of the metal...i.e. the slide was not brittle. If you see a properly treated barrel that fails due to an obstruction...it blossoms out like a flower. This is what the SCCY slide did, but in the opposite direction.

The barrel on the other hand cracked into straight pieces, no bending, no bulging. Like it shattered. The grain in the barrel is very rough, very striated and very fouled (compare the SCCY crack surfaces with the S&W model 60...the S&W has a lot less fouling on the failure areas). I think the barrel was most likely brittle from the factory and cracked during the pressure of the first few rounds. This allowed the cracks to fill with very dark powder residue from a few fired rounds before failing completely. I may be wrong and all that fouling could have happened when it blew up, but it just looks extremely dark to me for that.

Fortunately the slide seemed to contain the initial barrel failure and kept it from flying in all directions.

Either way...glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Great reminder that these things aren't toys. There ARE risks associated with the things we freely choose to do.

Thanks, OD*
Also a stark reminder of why safety glasses are a MUST.

101 - 120 of 201 Posts