Defensive Carry banner

121 - 140 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got one of the CPX2 and found this thread. I was using some hornady snap caps to test out extraction,etc before I could go to the range and I noticed that the lead part gets stuck in the barrel but when I use hornady snap caps but not with federal 9mm ammo or other snap caps. When it got stuck it was VERY difficult to eject and load the next round. Could it be the some thicker lead on the ammo made it get stuck then that was the cause of it blowing up? I have no idea but it definitely got stuck with the hornady's that I've used in 7 other guns of various brands without this happening. You can see on the photo where the lead part on the blue snap cap gets stuck in the chamber and if really fired would be too tight to fit through the barrel but it can still be chambered but makes the slide get stuck but not every single time. Notice the wear from the barrel on the snap cap from being chambered too 20190305_191106.jpg 20190305_191348.jpg 20190305_203036.jpg 20190305_203120.jpg 20190305_203131.jpg 20190305_203157.jpg 20190305_203236.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
My owners manual for my SCCY CPX-2 states on page 15 under ammunition only use 9mm Lugar rounds. That using anything else could cause damage to the firearm personal injury even death I believe he said he was using Remington. That just might have been the cause it might be the size difference that you might not be able to see with the naked eye but something like that could cause catastrophic failure. You're supposed to read the manuals before use.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Good looking out! I was considering getting one of these, perhaps I'll reconsider.

·
Registered
33,915 Posts
My owners manual for my SCCY CPX-2 states on page 15 under ammunition only use 9mm Lugar rounds. That using anything else could cause damage to the firearm personal injury even death I believe he said he was using Remington. That just might have been the cause it might be the size difference that you might not be able to see with the naked eye but something like that could cause catastrophic failure. You're supposed to read the manuals before use.
You do know that Lugar does not make ammunition? It's only a cartridge designation.

·
Registered
33,915 Posts
I just got one of the CPX2 and found this thread. I was using some hornady snap caps to test out extraction,etc before I could go to the range and I noticed that the lead part gets stuck in the barrel but when I use hornady snap caps but not with federal 9mm ammo or other snap caps. When it got stuck it was VERY difficult to eject and load the next round. Could it be the some thicker lead on the ammo made it get stuck then that was the cause of it blowing up? I have no idea but it definitely got stuck with the hornady's that I've used in 7 other guns of various brands without this happening. You can see on the photo where the lead part on the blue snap cap gets stuck in the chamber and if really fired would be too tight to fit through the barrel but it can still be chambered but makes the slide get stuck but not every single time. Notice the wear from the barrel on the snap cap from being chambered too View attachment 291090 View attachment 291092 View attachment 291094 View attachment 291096 View attachment 291098 View attachment 291100 View attachment 291102
Difference in bullet shapes and ogive engaging the rifling. The Hornady bullet is not seated deeply enough.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Yep, ogive shape looks different. I'd check the OAL of those cartridges and possibly even re-seat them a tad deeper, assuming you have that capability. It might also be worth measuring the leade.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You do know that Lugar does not make ammunition? It's only a cartridge designation.
Are you feeling ok, OV? The lack of sarcasm had me worried.

Simply put, 9x19mm round is the 9mm Luger round. It’s also 9mm Parabellum AND 9mm NATO. It’s all the same bullet and cartridge. Manufacturers may vary.

·
Registered
33,915 Posts
Are you feeling ok, OV? The lack of sarcasm had me worried.
I've never had a sarcastic day in my life. Sarcastic weeks and months are so much more time efficient.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Was there ever a definitive answer as to how this failure occurred? I recall reading something about a bad batch of outsourced barrels, but I don't think it was ever confirmed

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
I almost bought one of those. I was looking for a small, lightweight, inexpensive 9mm for summer carry. I narrowed it down to a SCCY or a keltec. I went with the Keltec and I am glad I did. Not that I Believe that one rotten apple ruins the bunch it's just that I am both very surprised and pleased at my PF nine's performance and accuracy for a small inexpensive gun.
The SCCY is a copy of the Keltec........

·
Registered
12,734 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Was there ever a definitive answer as to how this failure occurred? I recall reading something about a bad batch of outsourced barrels, but I don't think it was ever confirmed
That's what was determined when people on the SCCY forum put their serial numbers of similar failures on a list. Seems a bad batch run of barrels was the culprit within a certain serial number range. There was no direct response from SCCY to the ffl who bought it for his wife, other than replacing the gun itself.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
A exploding gun may tend to sour a guy on a certain brand.
Yup, I wasn't enamored with the SCCY quality to begin with, it blowing up next to me confirmed that inexpensive product isn't something I want to be around. I keep my mouth shut at the shop, the owners sell enough of them. I refuse to deal with a customer who wants to look at one or asks question of them, turning that over to the other two while I walk off. I want nothing to do with recommending nor selling one to a customer.

·
Registered
33,915 Posts
Yup, I wasn't enamored with the SCCY quality to begin with, it blowing up next to me confirmed that inexpensive product isn't something I want to be around. I keep my mouth shut at the shop, the owners sell enough of them. I refuse to deal with a customer who wants to look at one or asks question of them, turning that over to the other two while I walk off. I want nothing to do with recommending nor selling one to a customer.
Would you deal with a customer who wants to look at a Glock? They've had more than one Kaboom in their history, so fair is fair... Seems to have been a 1911 or two that met similar demises along the way.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you shoot what they tell you to run in it...And it explodes despite you doing everything right then one time is all it would take for me rather it was my gun
or someone else's who happened to be with me....I try not to be a brand basher because i own a couple of guns that get get bashed for one reason or another
but run fine for me....Not always ( Like in this case) but i think a lot of guns get a bad reputation because of operator error and inexperience especially small
pocket guns in the hands of novice shooters.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I have seen blown up Colt's, Smith's, Glock's, Ruger's...............
I am sure you have...But put one in my hand and with right ammo in it and it explodes....I can guarantee i will not be running out
to buy another...No matter how great that brands reputation may be....I love Kahr/Walther handguns (Shocker i know)...But if one blows
up in my hand then my opinion is gonna change real quick.

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
I am sure you have...But put one in my hand and with right ammo in it and it explodes....I can guarantee i will not be running out
to buy another...No matter how great that brands reputation may be....I love Kahr/Walther handguns (Shocker i know)...But if one blows
up in my hand then my opinion is gonna change real quick.
Of course there has NEVER been out of spec factory ammo......

121 - 140 of 201 Posts