Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there have been many discussions about scopes for .22s in the past, but there are many new scopes available and I have a question in regards to what might work.

I know that most centerfire rifle scopes are NOT suitable for use on a .22 due to parallax issues, i.e. parallax is set at 100 yards or more. My question today is although I know that most centerfire scopes have their parallax set for 100 yards, wouldn't a low power variable optic (LPVO) like this Vortex Strike Eagle work since you can dial the magnification down to a very close range and your targets are in focus? I want a decent quality scope and don't mind paying for one, since I plan to use this for turkey hunting here in Utah (rimfires are legal to use here for that application). I don't want a scope that is so cheap it has issues.

Vortex.jpg

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wouldn't use that one. There are plenty of high quality .22 scopes out there that would be a better option. With a .22 spefic scope you can use the full range of magnification without the parallax issues. I've had a Simmons 3-9 22Mag for 20+ years and have no need to find something else. Cabelas has Vortex, Leupold, and Nikon scopes for less than $200. I'd save the money and get the scope for the intended purpose.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
The best general use scope I have found for rimfire is a Leopold 2x7 . It has clear glass, coated lenses, and has its parallax set for 50 yards. but you can have Leopold reset any of their scopes for use on a rimfire.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfire-scopes

The street price on the first two are around $200.

For general use plinking I have been happy with much less scopes. I have used both Burris and Simmons low powered scopes and been pleased. They are around the $100 mark. I will say this, Cheaper scopes have gotten a lot better.
For the extra $100 leopold gives you a clear view edge to edge, and coating that gather that last bit of usable light.
I use leopold on my hunting guns.and the cheaper for plinking guns and short range varmint shooting. Ground squirrels are mostly only out on bright sunny days. They watch for the shadows of predator birds. So I don't need a scope that draws in the last bit of light to shoot them well. Good Luck, DR

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have only used a fixed power for 22s, for me there just was no need for one as most of the critters I were after were never more than 100yds so I stuck with Redfield or weaver. Now for my 25-06 thats when I needed that extra long range to look out and pick the big game to feed my family but thats just me and there are so many options to suit ones plan and success.

·
Super Moderator
19,228 Posts
What gun are you mounting it on? If it's a bolt gun, bolt handle clearance can be a problem.

There are a lot of scopes available these days that have adjustable objectives (AO) to minimize parallax error. Some newer models offer side-focus knobs which is a real convenience.

For sighting in my rimfire scopes and comparing ammo performance, I use the Rimfire Central Benchrest target with 2" OD and 1/2" center. For 50 yards, 9x is the minimum power I'd want, and 12x for 100 yards.

Nikon has some good bargains right now because they're getting out of the riflescope business. The Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO on my .22 WMR has sharper glass than the Leupolds I looked at costing $150 more.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I have had good luck with the Simmons 22 mag scopes they are designed for .22's work well and are inexpensive! I actually prefer them over a Redfield which has gone downhill in recent years!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
With the quality of scopes up and prices down now days why not go with a scope that allows you to adjust parallax. You maybe happy you did. Cut corners on the rifle if you must. you can always sell it and upgrade. Buy the right scope the first time once you do you are stuck with it.

Ruger RP rimfire .22 Vortex Diamonback 6-24X50 This .22 can use it Parallax adjustment works great

View attachment 327682

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Mueller and Pentax also make some real nice .22 scopes for not a lot of $$!

·
Super Moderator
19,228 Posts
I've got a pair of Simmons "22 Mag" 3-9x32 scopes. one with AO, one without. They are an excellent value and even come with rings!

Where they fall down is in the clarity of the glass. I had one on the 10/22 I used for my Appleseed Event, and with the intensity of the event you spend hours peering through a scope (assuming your rifle is so equipped). At the end of both days, I had a pretty bad eye headache. I've since moved up to higher-quality glass (commensurately more expensive) and long sessions at the bench have not caused the same headaches. Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

One Simmons is currently unassigned and the other is on a Winchester 320 which only gets occasional, non-intense use. It's perfect for that.

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
I just mounted the 3-9 VXI from my AR on the new Savage 93 22Mag. Now I need some range time to get it sighted in.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just mounted the 3-9 VXI from my AR on the new Savage 93 22Mag. Now I need some range time to get it sighted in.
Not familiar with the VXI. Who makes that?

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
It's an older Leupold. It was on a Ruger 44 Carbine I picked up, repaired and flipped a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Keep a close eye on camera land. A sponsor of the forum. They often have outstanding deals and for a couple months now some so good I have purchased a couple scopes for future use.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep a close eye on camera land. A sponsor of the forum. They often have outstanding deals and for a couple months now some so good I have purchased a couple scopes for future use.
Thanks! Yes, they do have some very good deals. I have bought from them in the past. I also like Sport Optics and Optics Planet. It's a very competitive market.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Also keep an eye on dvor.com that has daily deals. The deals are not always deals, but some of the prices are. I bought my Vortex Strike Eagle scope through them. It was deal they had offered via Optics Planet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts