Defensive Carry banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm another vote for the simmons .22mag 3x9. I got one mounted on a marlin 22mn .22mag. I've had the rifle and scope for 20 years or more. I use it to squirrel hunt, and have made 60 yard head shots on squirrels with that combo. I'm by no means an optic aficionado. If I can see through it good, and it holds zero I'm satisfied. I think I paid around $30 for it, a quick google search indicates they're $50-70. For me its been a good all round hunting scope for a rimfire.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I'm another vote for the simmons .22mag 3x9. I got one mounted on a marlin 22mn .22mag. I've had the rifle and scope for 20 years or more. I use it to squirrel hunt, and have made 60 yard head shots on squirrels with that combo. I'm by no means an optic aficionado. If I can see through it good, and it holds zero I'm satisfied. I think I paid around $30 for it, a quick google search indicates they're $50-70. For me its been a good all round hunting scope for a rimfire.
Think I'm going to go ahead and throw the Simmons 22 Mag in my Amazon cart. Should make a nice little optic for my 10-22.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I have scopes made for 22. I also have several 22s with cheap Walmart Bushnells and Simon center fire scoops. I don't have an issue with center fire scopes on 22s.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
When I was a teenager I had a Marlin M99 .22, I had a 4 power scope on it that I paid no more than 10 dollars for.
That scope had a cheap stamped mount.
I shot many a rabbit with it, all head shots, not to mention all the racoons, possums and groundhogs.
High dollar scopes are nice but I haven't found them to be a necessity, on a .22 anyway.
Nice to impress with though.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Reactions: Pete63

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
It’s going to go on a Ruger American Rimfire.
OK, that works in your favor. My CZ455, Winchester 320 and Ruger 77/22 bolts interfere with the scope eyepiece, so without resorting to high rings you need a scope with a smaller diameter ocular bell. The Weaver RV series, Simmons 22 mag and Leupold rimfire scopes fit, but few others do.

The RAR has a 60 degree bolt throw, which offers a lot more clearance than its predecessor, so cope-wise, the world is your oyster.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My all time favorite .22 rimfire rifle is a 1939-vintage Winchester Model 62A. Just as manufactured 81 years ago, excellent overall condition, original factory open sights. Deadly accurate, lightweight, easy to carry and use. Unfortunately, it has become so valuable as a collectible that I hesitate to take it out hunting anymore.

I also have an old Winchester Model 52 Sporter, and a Model 1885 Winder Musket .22 Short. Both excellent shooters, but not something I want to drag through the brush and add unnecessary scratches and dents. The 1960's vintage Marlin 39A (another classic) moved to Tennessee last year, where my elder son is now teaching his grandchildren to shoot.

My old Savage-Anschutz Model 164 Sporter has always done very nicely with a set of Redfield 1" tip-off rings and an old Weaver K3 (post and crosshair reticle). Both about 50 years old now, and one of the grandsons made off with that one a few years ago. NOTE TO SELF: remind the young man about the difference between borrowing Grampa's rifle and receiving a gift from Grampa!

Feeling the itch, and converting that little itch to an urgent need, I convinced myself to scratch myself with a new CZ 455 American .22LR. Serious shooting machine in classic blued steel and walnut! Outfitted it with a Williams Shorty ramp front sight with 1/8" silver bead and Williams receiver sight. Just started having serious fun with that combination when cataract surgery changed my "outlook on life", so to speak (couldn't see squat, in other words). Set of CZ steel rings came with the rifle so I picked up a bargain basement deal on a Tasco "Trophy" model 3-9X40. Intended for centerfire rifle, so the parallax issue probably exists, but my post-surgery cataract-infected eyes can't detect it. First trip to the range I zero'd the scope at 100 yards using Remington standard velocity 40-grain, then proceeded to shoot several 5-shot groups at or under 1.5" from the bench with a sandbag. Factory rifle using standard grade ammunition, not bad in my opinion.

Now coming up on a year post-cataract surgery and my distance vision is again 20/20. I am back to the receiver sight and bead front. Groups at 100 yards are regularly 2" or less, and a postage stamp doesn't stand much of a chance at 50 yards.

Short version: Just like when I was a kid and a .22 rifle was always ready to do whatever was necessary, I am back to open sights for everything I want to do. Snowshoe hares at 40 yards in the brush, blue grouse at 30 yards in the pines, or any other potential meal that presents itself will be mine as long as I do my job correctly.

No need to overthink these things. No need to "gild the lilly" with a tricked out .22 rifle. By any reasonable expectation the .22LR is a 50-yard performer for small game critters. Those who enjoy playing with the newest and bestest toys on the market can have a lot of fun, I'm sure, while the rest of us enjoy good .22 rifles for their real purposes.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Reactions: G26Raven

·
Super Moderator
18,328 Posts
Yea Retired Badge! Love your post, your choice of .22s, and your ability to do without scopes on everything.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Retired Badge, my grandfather's 1890 is the immediate predecessor to your Model 62. I found out (on the QT, or course) that slamfire was possible with this gun decades before I knew about disconnectors!

Here's a link to my post about the family 1890: https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/editpost.php?do=updatepost&p=5596122

I updated the pics to remove the non-functioning Photobucket links - hope the pics show.

Unfortunately my 1890 is chambered in .22 Long - ok for birds (grandfather used this on pigeons in the Rockies) and bunnies, but I found out it was a bit light for woodchucks. But a fun gun nonetheless, which I'm proud to own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my Leupold VX Freedom EFR 3-9 on my CZ 452 Varmint in .22LR.

The Optic Zone had a sale last year and the budget friendly scope was even more of a deal. The glass is clear with fine crosshair reticle but I was indeed disappointed that it didn't come threaded for/with lens covers.

All in all, I have been very satisfied with this scope.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts