Defensive Carry banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For something fun and different I scoped a S&W 629 with a 6 inch barrel a few weeks ago and had rather poor results at the range. I was using an ammo can as a rest which was the biggest mistake.

I went to the range on Monday with the 44 mag and shot better than trip #1. I brought some 240 gr hard cast loaded with some Unique powder, which took the recoil out of the equation. Just guessing from the book they were probably going about 950 fps. I started out at 30 yards and was grouping. I moved out to 50 yards and shot prone, resting off a backpack. I pulled the 1st shot. The second ended up on paper, shots 3-5 grouped somewhat. I have no clue what acceptable is, either way I got a lot more practice ahead of me. I will probably try a shooting stick for trip #3 as it will be a more consistent platform to shoot off of.

I had more ammo loaded but we were playing around with other guns as well. The range trip was already about 2 hours and us Northerners don't do well in 95f weather.

50 yard target:
Outdoor recreation Recreation Precision sports Font Circle

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That is a nice group. good shooting.

I have a S&W 629 also, bought about 50 years ago. I also had a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag and a Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt that I loaded to 44 mag velocities. I actually shot the Blackhawk a little better than the 44 mags.

The first day after I bought the S&W my Wife and I went out to sight it in with the open sights. I finally got it where I was grouping pretty well and asked if she wanted to try it and she said sure. She had never shot a 44 before and with the target set at 25 yards (a 3M plastic tape box with a red X on it) I had tried to get it to impact 1" high. I gave her the gun along with a new target and she fired two shots about 5 seconds apart. I went and picked the plastic box up and an come back to where she was standing by the truck and told her she missed the box altogether. She wanted to see it and I said I am not trying to embarrass you by rubbing it in. She would not relent and grabbed the box and there were two bullet holes exactly 1 inch high touching side by side. I took her and the gun home, put the gun in the safe, and have not touched either of them since. My ego was thrashed.

She has a history of shooting better than me, which I don't understand, it's not like she practices all of the time. Her Dad told me she did the same thing to him when she was 10 shooting his 30-06 deer rifle. I have other stories about her but I have to be sure she doesn't see them she might think I am over my mad from that incident. :censored:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts