1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
42,133 Posts
"Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sounds like a decent argument to be presented in favor of individual rights, and even more persuasive because of the "may issue" provisions allowing what appear (to me) to be such broad discretion in the permitting process that "bearing arms" is effectively denied to the citizenry. Timing might be good, due to the current balance on the Court.

Hopefully we will see a reasonable ruling that can serve our interests for the long haul.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I think this one will be decided favorably. How favorably, I don't known. Chief Justice Squish may only go as far as "may issue," but hopefully the Court goes "shall issue." Or better still, no permit required.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't see how Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Barrett and Thomas would read the Second Amendment and hold that the right is permissive and at the whim of the state.

Roberts I've written off.

But a lot can happen between now and then. Who knows, the make up of the court could be different.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I know that SCOTUS is only supposed to use the Constitution when coming to decisions.
But I wonder if all the recent States passing legislation on pushing back on Federal Gun Laws will play into any decisions.
Either they will be angered by what the states are doing, or they will see it as the will of the people.
This one could go either way in today's climate.
To most of us it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I don't see how Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Barrett and Thomas would read the Second Amendment and hold that the right is permissive and at the whim of the state.

Roberts I've written off.

But a lot can happen between now and then. Who knows, the make up of the court could be different.
i agree on all counts. who knows how the court will look in six months? and i find it funny that everybody says the court is 6-3 conservative. i call it 5-3-1

·
Registered
42,133 Posts
I'm not sure I would agree with 5-3-1, more like 4-3-2--depending on wind direction on a given day.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Some powerful friends of the court on this one:

National Association of Chiefs of Police
Western States Sheriffs’ Association
California State Sheriffs’ Association
International Law Enforcement Educators and
Trainers Association
Law Enforcement Legal Defense Fund
Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, Inc.
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club, Ltd.
Connecticut Citizens Defense League
CRPA Foundation
Delaware State Sportsmen’s Association
Gun Owners’ Action League Massachusetts
Gun Owners of California
Hawaii Rifle Association
Maryland State Rifle & Pistol Association
Vermont Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs
Vermont State Rifle & Pistol Association
Virginia Shooting Sports Association

They write:
The continued refusal of eight states, with the blessing of
four Circuit Courts of Appeals, to recognize Second
Amendment rights outside the home is depriving
tens of millions of law-abiding citizens of the most
fundamental right of all, the right to defend one’s
own life and the lives of others.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
It would be nice to see the day that carry was lawfully protected in all 50 states in 99% of all publicly accessible locations, including stores, malls, theaters, schools, post offices, and other governmental facilities. I MIGHT grant an exception for locations with high-grade security screening (courtrooms, sterile airport areas) if such restrictions were very $$$ painful for other implementors (like sports and concert venues).

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
The best that we can hope for is some mealy mouthed decision that doesn't really change anything because they are too cowardly to take a stand on something that could actually change our society, for the better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or it could go like it did in IL where it forced the State Legislature to come up with a CC Law that met the parameters of the suit before SCOTUS deemed it unconstitutional and permit less.
I can’t comment on which path is best for the good people of NY, but I bet something drastic will change. I’d be hoping the SCOTUS does hear and decide the case before the State makes a concession.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts