Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
"Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind.

Exactly.

At this point I'm concerned. I can honestly say I'm not sure I want them to hear this case. There's no telling where they'll come down on this.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
A much-younger mike1956 drunken pick-up line:

"You don't sweat much for a fat girl".
Bet you got a lot of dates with that one!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I’d think staying May Issue would not pass constitutionality with SCOTUS, we can always hope.
Why would staying may issue not pass constitutionally? I would think may issue in NOT constitutional as it restricts an enumerated right.

·
Premium Member
37,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Too bad none of us are on the Supreme Court. If we were, it would be a no-brainer...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why would staying may issue not pass constitutionally? I would think may issue in NOT constitutional as it restricts an enumerated right.
Because I feel May Issue goes against 2A. I’m for Shall Issue. And it was the basis for IL coming up with a Shall Issue license. If they hadn’t I believe the courts would have ruled open carry with no law in place.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
If one is a true Constitutionalist, then the issuance of a permit to carry a firearm, concealed or openly, is a clear violation of the Constitution. And this is where the concepts of interpretation and the actions of a little chip here and a little chip there can and do whither down this most precious document to the point where it no longer taken to mean what it says.

How on earth is it the business of any government to know how many and what type or arms I may own, how and when I may wish to carry them, and where I may go while doing this, excepting private property rights?

Reactions: P220 and demanic

·
Premium Member
37,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
If one is a true Constitutionalist, then the issuance of a permit to carry a firearm, concealed or openly, is a clear violation of the Constitution. And this is where the concepts of interpretation and the actions of a little chip here and a little chip there can and do whither down this most precious document to the point where it no longer taken to mean what it says.

How on earth is it the business of any government to know how many and what type or arms I may own, how and when I may wish to carry them, and where I may go while doing this, excepting private property rights?
That argument can be applied to many restrictions on several articles in the Bill of Rights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Because I feel May Issue goes against 2A. I’m for Shall Issue. And it was the basis for IL coming up with a Shall Issue license. If they hadn’t I believe the courts would have ruled open carry with no law in place.
Correction: *had ruled.
I just remember that Courts set a date for the IL legislature to have a law passed and signed by a certain date in early 2013 or citizens of the state could carry as they saw fit according to 2A.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
That argument can be applied to many restrictions on several articles in the Bill of Rights.
Exactly.
So why do we tolerate it? Especially given that most of us now realize that there is no longer any actual rule of law in this country.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
You're absolutely right about that.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Exactly.
So why do we tolerate it? Especially given that most of us now realize that there is no longer any actual rule of law in this country.
We tolerate it because over the years, say 200+ of them, we have allowed our governments to place restrictions on us and our actions rather than telling them, "No, you're not going to do this". Acquiescence is the tool of those willing to wait until their time has come to openly achieve tyranny. But it also seems to be an ingrained trait of societies full of plentiful bounty and wealth (think Maslow's hierarchy).

Reactions: demanic

·
Premium Member
37,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Exactly.
Short of insurrection, what are the available options?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Well, you tell me what the options are when one side is playing by the rules, and the other side changes the rules as the game goes on.
Maybe "game" is the wrong word to use, as when you are in a fight for your life, there are no referees and no rules except one.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
We tolerate it because over the years, say 200+ of them, we have allowed our governments to place restrictions on us and our actions rather than telling them, "No, you're not going to do this". Acquiescence is the tool of those willing to wait until their time has come to openly achieve tyranny. But it also seems to be an ingrained trait of societies full of plentiful bounty and wealth (think Maslow's hierarchy).
We told them no back around 1861. They got really pissed.

Reactions: demanic

·
Registered
5,224 Posts

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think a lot of people on both sides are going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Too bad none of us are on the Supreme Court. If we were, it would be a no-brainer...
Well first of all, there is the law school thing. I missed that. But then there would be the confirmation hearings. If they dug into my background, it would be the biggest soap opera on TV. They'd have people lined up around the block to testify against me...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
To me, the biggest option is to take a hard look at how conservatives let this get out of hand, come up with a plan, roll up our sleeves and start the hard work of getting things back to normal. But I don't see it happening. What I hear is "It's over, because the other side cheats."

I say, "Over? Nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

41 - 60 of 63 Posts