Defensive Carry banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,590 Posts
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think a lot of people on both sides are going to be disappointed.
If Roberts 2021 is the same Roberts of 2008, I expect the court will rule that Shall issue is constitutional, but may issue is not. Roberts signed on to Heller. Read the majority re the interpretation of "bear."

However, if Roberts is the Roberts of 2012+, where the Affordable Care Act was upheld on the taxing power, and he finds a squish in Kavanaugh or Barrett and peels one off, who the heck knows? I could see him arguing keep and bear means keep and bear in your house, because if you can keep a bearable arm in your house, you can bear the bearable arm in your house. But the 2A says nothing about outside the home.

So: Will Roberts have Bacon and Eggs for breakfast the day they decide the case, or will he have Scrambled Tofu and Raw-nola?

God, I hope it's bacon and eggs.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
It is quite possible that what will come out of this is that as long as a state allows open carry or the carry of long guns then restricting concealed carry is legal.
When it was written the Second Amendment applied only to federal laws. Contemporaneous to this many cities and states were passing laws restricting the carry of weapons in public. Particularly the carrying of concealed weapons in public.
Fast forward to 1866. When the Fourteenth Amendment was passed. It was not uncommon for towns in "the old west" to ban the carrying of arms in public. In the antebellum South many cities and states passed laws prohibiting the public carry of concealed weapons.
If the Justices decide that the incorporation of the Second Amendment by the Fourteenth Amendment is "As applied" rather than facial, all that is required is that some form of carry is either universally allowed or none permitted at all.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts