Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We live about 20 minutes from Dixie National Forest and can be at 10,000 feet elevation in under 45 minutes. Today I went up to do some scouting for both deer and elk. The first spot I went to had some nice meadows and a nice creek, but hardly any sign at all.

I then drove about another 30 minutes to pick up one of my trail cams that I had set out the previous Sunday. Ignore the date on the camera legend - I set it right but it never seems to hold the date.

The morning ended up with a bit of levity. When I arrived back in town at the bottom of the canyon, I had to stop at the light as there was a lot of traffic with people coming off the mountain. I was watching the traffic when I heard someone yell at me, "Hey." I turned to look next to me at a young guy in a light pickup with a young woman. He asked me, "Does anybody sell ammo around here?" I told him that lots of people sell ammo, but nobody has any in stock. He told me he had been visiting from Las Vegas and nobody has any there either....

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
From your pics there seems to be water everywhere. So you are going to have to find what they are eating. With mostly Birch and pine trees in the background, what are their favorite things to eat? Where I live its fruit and acorn's. At my sons its Elderberry bushes. What is there favorite treat there? Good Luck. DR

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Looks like you found where to go. Good luck, sir!

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From your pics there seems to be water everywhere. So you are going to have to find what they are eating. With mostly Birch and pine trees in the background, what are their favorite things to eat? Where I live its fruit and acorn's. At my sons its Elderberry bushes. What is there favorite treat there? Good Luck. DR
Elk eat ----- elk weed! But around here, they also eat bitterbrush, fescue, service berry, etc.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
@G26Raven "Ignore the date on the camera legend - I set it right but it never seems to hold the date"

I can se the velvet. They are not in velvet in Jan. ; ) PS great looking deer, Muley ??
H/D

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@G26Raven "Ignore the date on the camera legend - I set it right but it never seems to hold the date"

I can se the velvet. They are not in velvet in Jan. ; ) PS great looking deer, Muley ??
H/D
Yes, mule deer. I haven't picked up any really big ones on my cams, but we glassed a big bodied, very tall rack, buck on Thursday near Cedar Breaks National Monument. I set a cam at a very promising wallow on Thursday. I also set more cams today and my hunting buddy and I are going to scout again on Tuesday.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Elk eat ----- elk weed! But around here, they also eat bitterbrush, fescue, service berry, etc.
Find what tastes like candy to them now to get your pic's, And then start looking for what will be in season the first week of the hunting season. That way you will know who is in the area and have a good idea where to look that first week.. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Find what tastes like candy to them now to get your pic's, And then start looking for what will be in season the first week of the hunting season. That way you will know who is in the area and have a good idea where to look that first week.. Good Luck.
Good advice. They do seem to move a lot more than deer do and are a lot more wary, although a cow elk walked right up behind my wife when we were on the hunt where I took my bull. She could actually hear it breathing, which gives you some idea of how close it was.

·
Registered
36,289 Posts
Good advice. They do seem to move a lot more than deer do and are a lot more wary, although a cow elk walked right up behind my wife when we were on the hunt where I took my bull. She could actually hear it breathing, which gives you some idea of how close it was.
I sat down at the base of a tree and dozed off while deer hunting once. I awoke to find a doe nibbling grass literally at my feet. I said, "Hi!" and all heck broke loose--hooves flying in all directions. Next time I'll keep dozing.

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
I sat down at the base of a tree and dozed off while deer hunting once. I awoke to find a doe nibbling grass literally at my feet. I said, "Hi!" and all heck broke loose--hooves flying in all directions. Next time I'll keep dozing.
She probably thought you were dead, no wonder you scared the heck out of her.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Many, many years ago, in New York State at a Boy Scout camp I was starting to cook breakfast over a camp fire. Well it appears the local deer had NO fear of Boy Scouts...

As I'm starting to cook , I feel this breath on the back of my neck. Thinking it's another Scout being a wise guy I turn around and slap a deer right in the face. Needless to say all hell broke loose. It was the strangest breakfast I never got to eat!!

·
Registered
36,289 Posts
She probably thought you were dead, no wonder you scared the heck out of her.
The Boss thinks I've been dead for years and it doesn't scare her.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts