Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched before I posted, and I may be flogging a dead horse issue here..........but I'm sharing anyways....:bier:

Had an interesting night on friday. The wifey and I had our "date night" and after dinner loaded up my Sig P226 & XD9sc - her BERSA T380 and headed for the range for some practice time.
The night started out..well poorly. The wifey was to her surprise having MAJOR issues with her BERSA. (well not new news to me - I have my own list of issues with that little gun) She couldn't hit a thing? and was experiencing FTF's & the ever problematic "hail-mary" accuracy. She switched up her ammo to PMC from WWB, and it got a little better, but she was getting VERY frustrated with it.

Now I'm one of those guys who's learned from experience that I'm NOT the one to point out what I THINK is the problem w/the wifey's shooting. SOOO.... I called over the club's senior RO that night who happens to shoot IPSC/IDPA to lend her a hand while I in-turn watched the firing line for him (I'm an RO on Monday nights).

After going thru some simple refresher hand-grip adjustments/stance/breathing tips with her... (she'll be the 1st to admit she needs to practice more)....he commented that even though her accuracy issues improved greatly..... it looked like the BERSA actually HURT her hand when shooting it.
She replied that it DID - ALOT.

I'd found that the BERSA always was hard on the hands - 50rnds - your DONE. And you have to grip the crap out of it to prevent limp-wristing FTF's.

The RO then made the observation that the gun didn't seem FIT her hands very well either after numerous attempts at grip adjustments...and maybe she's be better off with a different - slightly BIGGER gun to practice with. He also went as far as to suggest that she may want to consider getting away from the BERSA as her CCW and shoot something that was more comfortable. His reasoning - the gun shouldn't hurt to shoot, cause it will only make one frustrated and angry.:tired:

Now I've GOT bigger 9mm for her to practice with, but she's shot them all.......... and really didn't like ANY of them. She's been dead set AGAINST a 9mm pistol for reasons I can't fathom or convince her to change, but NOW she seems to be warming up to the idea since friday.

With the limited availability of 380Auto & the fact the PRICE makes it unpractical for range practice.... she's approached me this morning over coffee to say she's seriously considering getting a 9mm. Then added if we could swap the P238 on lay-away for a different gun. Ummm......sure.:35:

So now comes the age old question(s).....WHAT TO GET?
I've got a list of "old standbys" in the sub-compact/compact range available locally:
-SP2022
-P239
-S&W M&P sc
-XD9sc
-Glock 26

She's aiming for a pistol that will be her CCW and not so harsh to use at the range for her to practice with w/o getting pissy with it.:gah:

FYI : NOBODY sells KAHR - KELTEC - WALTHER locally. TAURUS is available as well as some SUPER el-cheapos that I wouldn't buy if ya paid me (we're talking CCW gun here)

Thanks all!!:hand10:

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
If she has already tried your XD9sc and does not like it, you can eliminate that.

Of your listed items I would suggest trying a G26 or possibly a G19. Both are "larger" in the grip and are "soft" shooters.

Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, you note that you don't trust Taurus, and that was an opinion that I tended to share - until recently. One of my BBTI partners (Keith) recently picked up the Taurus "Slim" 709 and has put it through its paces - and after hundreds of rounds with not a glitch, then taking it apart to see how it looked, he was really quite favorably impressed. YMMV.

Jim D.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
It took a bit of 'leading', but my wife seemed to like the Glock-26...this could be a possibility for your wife, but she's got to pick it out.:yup:

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
You might also want to take a look at the CZ line of pistols. Either the P-01, the 75 Compact or the PCR. Well made, reasonably priced, accurate and reliable.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
You might also want to take a look at the CZ line of pistols. Either the P-01, the 75 Compact or the PCR. Well made, reasonably priced, accurate and reliable.
Yeah...I was going to suggest a CZ as well. I know....I know....I just get tired of saying go Glock all of the time. But seriously, have her try some out just for grip alone.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Bias but, go with the 239. You started looking at SIG for a reason!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think that Taurus has gotten its act together recently. I personally would not discount their pistols so quickly.

I have a 24/7 Pro compact 9mm that has over 1,000 flawless rounds through it, FMJ and JHP.

It fits the hand and points perfectly. Low recoil and very accurate.

It also has a decocker/safety so you can decock and carry DA with safety disengaged, or, if you prefer, carry with the striker cocked and in SA with the safety engaged.

Turns out to be one of my favorite guns.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Dang, aside from tossing in my bias towards snubs, it sounds like the G26 is a practical solution.
Regards,

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
A recoil operated SA .380 recoils enough to be uncomfortable. I would rather shoot my G26, Kahr P9, or 1911 than my Makarov.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c. It carries great, holds 12+1, accepts the full 17rd magazine, and is so smooth shooting my 115lb gf shoots it just fine. There are days where it's kinda thick and I longed for a single stack, so you might check out the Kahr pistols, or the new PPS. Although the idea that the grip backing can come off and render the pistol useless I don't like.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Hmm.

I have a Bersa 9 mm subcompact. It's easy to shoot and it's accurate.

I've never had any problems with it. I use factory ammo: Remmington, Winchester, and American Eagle.

No problems.

But if your wife is looking at a different 9 mm, I'd suggest that she try the Sig P239.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Sig p238 does have a pretty managable recoil. And is accurate enough for a short barrel. Since you haven't tried shooting it, I think you missed an opportunity. The sig p238 is a gun you can have fun with.

As for ammo cost - prices have been dropping a little lately. Last I paid was $17 and change for a box of 50 PMC FMJ. Seems like the 9mm was about the same.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Bias but, go with the 239. You started looking at SIG for a reason!
+1. I have a P239 in .40 and love it. My fiancee has shot it in 9mm, she just doesn't like the overall size for an EDC. FWIW she's thinking P238.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You have a good list of choices, and I support adding the Taurus 709 and CZ75 to it. Personally, I find the Glock to be too bulky and the wrong bore axis for my hands (and I have large hands). I much prefer the XDsc and M&Pc grips and overall feel of the gun, so they would be my choice in your list. Too bad she can't test shoot a Kahr P9 or Walther PPS. Also, what about the EMP in 9mm?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm going to echo the Glock 19. Very shootable, even for smallish hands. Not that much bigger in the grip than a G26. Absolutely reliable too.

I had a M&P Compact 40 once. Didn't like the trigger as well as the Glock, plus I noticed that you could fully engage the trigger by pulling the side or edge of it. With the trigger safety lever in the middle of the Glock trigger, this isn't possible. Just my .02, YMMV.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts