Defensive Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some guys that do but how many of your reload your own self defense ammo? I recently received a reloading kit for my B-Day and just looking for your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I would not want to be put in a position of having to explain the reloads I used in a self-defense shooting. I use what many agencies use (Federal HST) and that's a fairly safe place to be coming from on the witness stand (God forbid that ever happens).

·
Registered
606 Posts
No I don't and never would? I don't have the time or money to develop and test a load that will expand properly and stop within the 12-18" the FBI recommends in their testing.

The real question is why would you? To save $10 or $20?

To me my life and my families life is worth $20

I think if you reload it's completely acceptable to make a practice round that closely mimics it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I sort of reload defensive ammo. I reload for my .223 Rem and for my .357 Mag. However, my .357 loads are designed with defense against four legged predators in mind. As for my 12 gauge, 9mm, and .40 S&W, its factory defensive ammo. The main reason I reload is because of cost. When my life is on the line, money is not a concern.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
Gramps reloads his calibers plus .38 specials for me. All for range use. For carry we use factory ammo. I use only factory ammo .380 and 9mm because it works out better for those sizes for my guns. Glocks do NOT like high primers and for some unknown reason Gramps' reloading process was producing too many high primers in 9mm and he doesn't want to even try the .380.

Reactions: Techer40

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I'm not too worried about who loaded my ammo. If it was a good shoot it will still be a good shoot regardless of what I shot him with. If a DA wants to make an issue of why I used hard cast lead bullets, Let him. They have been in common usage for over 100 years. If I was using Remingtons Golden Sabres it was because I have confidence that they will do as advertised and they were on sale that week. Right now I have about a lifetime supply of 185 grain XTP bullets in 45 cal. A friend bought some and didn't like them. I traded hard cast bullets for the open box of nearly 500. Later on He wanted to know If I would take some more . He had ordered 2500 and waited too long to return them. So If I get into a SD shooting using 45 caliber it will probably be with the 185 gr XTP's. If I load them to the speed that they are supposed to open at I have no fear that they won't do the job!

The only difference between my reloads and factory ammo is that the case headstamps may not match. DR

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Even a full mag of reloads beats a stick or a rock, but even if I did reload, I would not carry them for SD unless there was no other choice. Any round can fail but most agree that a failure would lean toward self loads over a high end commercial load. Federal HST 147+p gets my 9mm SD business and Corbon DPX gets my it for the 380, but when I exhaust the current supply, think I will give the Federal Hydra Shok a try.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm not too worried about who loaded my ammo. If it was a good shoot it will still be a good shoot regardless of what I shot him with. If a DA wants to make an issue of why I used hard cast lead bullets, Let him. They have been in common usage for over 100 years. If I was using Remingtons Golden Sabres it was because I have confidence that they will do as advertised and they were on sale that week. Right now I have about a lifetime supply of 185 grain XTP bullets in 45 cal. A friend bought some and didn't like them. I traded hard cast bullets for the open box of nearly 500. Later on He wanted to know If I would take some more . He had ordered 2500 and waited too long to return them. So If I get into a SD shooting using 45 caliber it will probably be with the 185 gr XTP's. If I load them to the speed that they are supposed to open at I have no fear that they won't do the job!

The only difference between my reloads and factory ammo is that the case headstamps may not match. DR
I just wanted to let you know I loaded some 185gr XTPs for my 460 Rowland. They do open up at 1500 fps

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
In the past I loaded my carry loads in 38 super. I've heard many opinions both ways. One train of thought is if you load to the same velocity and with the same bullet as major brands you can use that as a defense.

My thoughts now is this if I shoot someone in a defensive situation they are going to tear apart anything they can. If they chose to go after my ammunition ATK, Winchester, Sig whatever your brand of choice has more money and attorneys to say why they did something one way or the other during load development.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
If I remember right the issues with reloads have not had anything to do with the bullets but with proving who fired the shot! One was a suicide the other I don't remember the details. But it came down to powder residue. Like I said before if its a cut and dry good shoot, it still will be with reloaded ammo.

As far as My reloads being inferior, Ill put them up against any factory loaded ammo! DR

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If I remember right the issues with reloads have not had anything to do with the bullets but with proving who fired the shot! One was a suicide the other I don't remember the details. But it came down to powder residue. Like I said before if its a cut and dry good shoot, it still will be with reloaded ammo.

As far as My reloads being inferior, Ill put them up against any factory loaded ammo! DR
The suicide issue you speak of if I recall correctly was a man who had a revolver I believe it was a Dan Wesson that he didn't know how to unload. When he tipped it muzzle up to dump the rounds a couple stuck in the cylinder and didn't know how to remove them. He the hid the gun which his deranged wife or girlfriend found. And shot herself When the crime scene folks showed up and did gun shot residue tests she had non on her hands. It was later found they were very light target loads he however was accused of murder and had a very tough time. I recall the article it is re issued every once in a while on the variace gun magazines and sights.

I would agree that my ammunition could be put against any factory and would better much of it. We on are reloading bench can have far tighter QC standards and many reloaded myself included strive for such to get the best accuracy and consistency. And with a reasonably loaded cartridge within the specifications of factory ammo one would still have the powder residue deposits.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason I asked the question. I have been reading about the consistency people are getting with reloads. My way of seeing things is if you can load a round that is more consistent than factory why wouldn't you. I agree there could be an issue with legalities but I also see the side of DR where the main question is was it a good shoot. Am wrong with this line of thinking? This post is just for my information so I can make an informed decision so I am open to all opinions.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
One thing to remember is in many states even if you are ruled justified in the criminal suit. The family and attorney for them can turn right around and sue you civilly. In that case to win they need paint you as a monster just looking going out to kill and that's why you had some magical reload you devised to cause the most damage possible. This is one of the big reasons people recommend a quality ammunition used by variace law enforcement agencies.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The civil suits are the ones that, in most cases, are the ones that ruin lives since you only have to have a little bit more proof than the accuser. Its not beyond a doubt. I can see where that could play into the equation.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I don't put much stock in all the legal concerns abut using this or that ammo because of what a lawyer may think. Generally I simply use the ammo I think is most effective in the gun I carry, is available, and has proven reliable in my gun. If that would happen to be a hand-load so be it. If I survive a life threatening incident using the gun and ammo combo I chose then I most certainly chose right, and will be grateful that I survived to deal with what ever may come next. If you really want to please the lawyers, and the anti gun DA's just leave the gun at home.

Personally I think most of this "use the wrong ammo and they'll put you in jail or take your house away" is just internet lore that keeps the forums busy.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have and would carry it in pinch, but for some of the reasons stated above, my loads for SD are almost always factory ammo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts