Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened in the town I grew up in - a relatively small, quiet beach community. I somehow missed the news when it came out (I was overseas) and am trying to find more info, but the video is pretty clear. Thoughts?

YouTube - New Smyrna Beach Medicine Shoppe shooting

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Op,

I'm pretty sure there was at least one thread on that when it first happened. Don't have time to look right now.

Welcome home.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Nice timing of the shot. I looks like he popped the BG while distracted and reaching for the drugs.

Welcome home!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As it turns out, the girl who walks around the corner in the beginning of the video is a good friend of mine from High School. The store belonged to her father, and she was understandably shaken up by the whole thing.

The security guard was hired soon before the shooting because the store had received a tip that it was going to be robbed... At least SOMEONE gets good intel, huh? :smile:

Also, did anyone notice the guard draw his weapon and have it out in his hands well before he moved for the shot? Interesting that he was able to do that...

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
:congrats::congrats::congrats:'nuff said!:yup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
OPFOR

Welcome home, from jus' down the road, on Merritt Island. I agree, as I wrote in the post on this a couple of months ago, the guard was seemingly 'calm as a cucumber' while he prepared, and waited for just the right moment to strike. I found it intriguing to witness.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
OPFOR... Welcome home after a long time abroad!

I didn't realize that was a security guard. Good choice being in plain clothes as far as I'm concerned.

I think he did an excellent job! I did notice that as the robber turned towards the guard, he was also swinging his gun around in that direction as well. I'm glad he shot when he did!

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
I saw the guard pull his gun out. From the first angle of the video it looked like the view of the guard was blocked by the tall counter and stuff that was displayed on it so that the BG was not aware of the draw.

At first it looked like the guard put the gun back under his jacket on his right side, but after reviewing it again I think he put it below the counter level. Until he moved out for the shot.

I think that guard was well worth the money.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the welcome homes (again, :smile:) and the link to the original thread. And I will be having some Stavros, though I remember when it was on the same side of the street as the DQ...lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad the good guys shots incapacitated the robber immediately, and there was no chance for the BG to harm anyone.

This is about as win-win as it gets.

I wonder if the Law Abiding Citizen now gets a store discount?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'm interested more in the details than the obvious... what was with the bag tossed over the counter at the 20 second mark?
I'm assuming the robber wanted that filled... anybody know?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I'm interested more in the details than the obvious... what was with the bag tossed over the counter at the 20 second mark?
I'm assuming the robber wanted that filled... anybody know?
That's my guess too. But this also contradicts a few things you hear a lot. And I have gotten grilled for occasionally. There are cases where..

1. Cover is in the way or a problem
2. Distance may be a disadvantage.

He cleared the counter and step towards the BG while moving to his left. Was he point shooting? Looked like it. Nothing is set in stone when the gun clears leather. Glad it worked out so quick or the GG may have been looking for 1 and 2.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Also, did anyone notice the guard draw his weapon and have it out in his hands well before he moved for the shot? Interesting that he was able to do that...
Quote opfor

It almost seems to me that the guard was partially concealed from the BG by that display partition, which would have afforded him the chance to get ready.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

1 - 20 of 21 Posts