Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me being new here, you guys don't know that i work for an oil company in Texas as an oil and gas well production tech. It's great work, the pay is good and we are out in the wilderness all the time. The down side is we are alone all day in the middle of nowhere, so we have to be really careful not to get hurt or stuck somewhere that we can't even get phone service. Through the years we have found drug labs, burned out cars, stolen boats, and have equipment stolen from our well locations all the time.

Today we found a guy that had committed suicide at one of our secluded oil well locations. Turns out he had shot and killed his wife this morning and been on the run from LE all day; sure glad we didn't have anyone on that location when he pulled up.

Three months ago we found a young woman that had been beat to death at one of our wells. They finally solved that murder and two guys are behind bars awaiting trial.

Just two more reasons I always have a .40 cal strapped on my side; and some just think I'm paranoid.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Me being new here, you guys don't know that i work for an oil company in Texas as an oil and gas well production tech. It's great work, the pay is good and we are out in the wilderness all the time. The down side is we are alone all day in the middle of nowhere, so we have to be really careful not to get hurt or stuck somewhere that we can't even get phone service. Through the years we have found drug labs, burned out cars, stolen boats, and have equipment stolen from our well locations all the time.

Today we found a guy that had committed suicide at one of our secluded oil well locations. Turns out he had shot and killed his wife this morning and been on the run from LE all day; sure glad we didn't have anyone on that location when he pulled up.

Three months ago we found a young woman that had been beat to death at one of our wells. They finally solved that murder and two guys are behind bars awaiting trial.

Just two more reasons I always have a .40 cal strapped on my side; and some just think I'm paranoid.
Thanks for the post, watch your 6 out there!

Joker1

·
Registered
15,177 Posts

Texas is a dangerous place,lots of bad things going on and lots of desolate land.I would carry a rifle or shotty for backup just in case if your company allows it,tell them its a snake gun for really big "snakes"

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The company I work for has an implied no weapons policy, which was briefed with a wink at the field level. I do however show respect by disarming before I go onto the company office property. It would probably be pushing it to carry a rifle in the truck against policy though.

I know how some folks feel about this, but in this case I just have to say what they don't know won't hurt them and if I actually have to use it, I was going to be on the local news anyway.

As far as being related to Marcus; I don't think I'm related to him, but could be as I have some relatives in Texas that I've never met. Guess I should check into it sometime.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Don't worry, John you are not alone. I used to work out there as a roughneck and then a driller later on back in the 80s; I mainly worked out in the Permian basin area, as well as Rincon and down around Live Oak County from George West to Tilden and on down to Carrizo Springs; I can tell you firsthand about the problems with illegal aliens, they used to come through and beg for food all the time on the rigs I worked. At night we used to have to gaurd the equipment when we worked rigs on the ranches near the border, because they would steal anything that wasn't nailed down.

I even know of some old timers who used to tell us about shooting them like "turtles on a pond" when they came swimming across the river, too.......

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I do 'deep woods' hiking in remote areas of MN, searching for 1910-1920 logging camp remnants. Two years ago I came across a small pot farm so far out in the middle of nowhere it would blow your mind. Nobody was there and I reported it. But, just imagine if you walk into a pot farm by accident and the growers see you and have to make a tough choice about securing their secret. I've scaled up my firepower on hikes.

·
Registered
934 Posts
heck weve had 10 murders in the past week in my town 2 last friday and 8 more in the mass murder here in glynn county :(

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Don't ever take that pistol off either!

BTW... If you are frequently in area's without cell phone service in those remote area's. You might think about getting a satellite phone.

Phones themselves are not too unreasonable as they have some fairly affordable plan rates for minimal usage.

Or, you may see if the company would invest in a satellite phone for the crews who work in remote area's!

I have some sources for Satellite phones and plans if you are interested, just PM me.

Stay safe and keep that .40 cal on ya!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Thanks for the report.

Anytime I leave the beaten path, I’m armed.. But then again, I’m armed when I go up the road to Publix.

The difference being I carry my Glock and a few extra magazines.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Stay armed...stay very alert...stay safe!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Wow, That's the kinda excitement I can do without. Rough way to start the workday. +1 on the satellite phone, might be worth the investment in your line of work. Cheers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Y'know, I went a lot of years without a cell phone at all, and I've always spent a lot of time in very remote areas. A person learns to take care of theirself out there. If someone doesn't feel like they're fully capable of doing that, they don't usually go out very often (if they're smart).

I do keep a cell phone around these days, but it's mostly for other's sake when I'm in far away places. My wife likes to hear from me, and oft-times worries if she knows I'm out in the hills and doesn't hear from me for a day or two. A man has to adjust to such things when he takes a wife.

The fact is, if you REALLY need help in a remote area, help is likely at least an hour or more away even if you have cell phone coverage. You better be able to take care of yourself out there, or you might end up as a statistic on the evening news.

I live in the Mexico border area of SE Arizona. It's a travel corridor for both human and drug smugglers, so you learn to be aware of your surroundings, and take appropriate measures to keep yourself relatively safe.

In all honesty, I feel safer out in the hills than I do in town. There's fewer people out there, so any stranger is viewed with suspicion until proven safe. In town, we're more accustomed to having strangers close to us, and more of them, so we're generally less cautious.

But, a fella should do what makes him feel safer, I reckon. If a satelite phone does the trick, then go for it. Just be careful about depending on it too much. ;)

Daryl

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
But, a fella should do what makes him feel safer, I reckon. If a satelite phone does the trick, then go for it. Just be careful about depending on it too much. ;)

Daryl
I agree whole heartedly with your post!

You have to use common sense and utilize a high level of situational awareness in remote locations. You should also view anyone encountered in a remote location with a higher degree of skepticism for obvious reasons.

However, for a work environment which takes you to remote locations communications is an important tool to have. Not just if you stumble along a predatory person. Of course, you are going to have to deal with that on your own.

However, my wilderness survival instructor was a consultant for every major oil corporation in this hemisphere and oil workers, depending on their particular job can and do get stranded and or injured often leading to a survival situation. He taught wilderness survival to many oil workers who worked in remote locations.

A person with a fractured femur in a remote location can and often do die because they lack the mobility to properly set up a survival shelter, build a fire, secure drinking water or get out of the elements.

Just saying, for some people a satellite phone may not be just a luxury item, but a very real survival tool.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have a reporting system that we use to assure that all of us field hands are accounted for at the end of each day. By around 4 PM each day we are calling and checking to see who may be missing and on what wells they went out to that day. I carry a very good first aid kit, 2 cell phones, a very big hunting knife, cigarette lighters, extra water/food and weather gear for all seasons in my work truck.

Being a small arms expert with military survival and first aid training, I find my biggest danger to be myself with complacency. I have had poisonous snakes get their fangs stuck in my pant legs even been chased back to my truck by a rabid raccoon, but by far the most dangerous thing I face is working on the well equipment. I commonly deal with high pressure highly flammable gas and have to keep my mind ahead of my actions at all times. We have guys get hurt or killed doing this job every year here in Texas, so we do take it serious when we account for everyone at the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
:hand10: John... Sounds like a good system in place, and you for one take survival scenario's seriously.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A person with a fractured femur in a remote location can and often do die because they lack the mobility to properly set up a survival shelter, build a fire, secure drinking water or get out of the elements.
I've actually been there and done that; mostly because I was with my dad at the time, and he insisted on riding a couple of mules that "needed rode". A shattered femur 4" below the hipbone is NOT fun, no matter where you are.

I'm normally a lot more careful about such things, and wouldn't have risked riding rough stock on a wilderness trail in the middle of nowhere by myself. A couple of flyin' egg beater rides, some surgery (a plate and 6 pins in my leg), and 6 weeks without walking mostly fixed the problem, although it still hurts when the pressure changes.

One careless moment can certainly cause it to happen, so a fella better be careful when he's out there alone. I've spent an awful lot of time in the outdoors by myself, with no one knowing exactly when I'd return, and in those situations I've always been double or triple cautious. You just don't take unnecessary chances.

In that kind of situation, a working cell phone might very well save your life.

Daryl

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
+1 DarylW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts