Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the SS carry in countries to protect the president like China, Singapore, Japan and England that otherwise prohibit firearms?

I can understand how this works in the US with LEOSA... but I never understood how they do it in foreign nations. Like when Clinton went to N. Korea... how did the SS keep him safe?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think you will find that an agreement is worked prior to the trip that allows the SS to carry. At least thats the way it was when I worked with the SS.

·
Registered
891 Posts
How does the SS carry in countries to protect the president like China, Singapore, Japan and England that otherwise prohibit firearms?

I can understand how this works in the US with LEOSA... but I never understood how they do it in foreign nations. Like when Clinton went to N. Korea... how did the SS keep him safe?
It's all part of that diplomatic reciprocity thing. Just like diplomats and other State Dept personnel get varying degree of a free pass by pullinf their diplomatics status credentials. In a sense like Air Force Once or other US Military aircraft they are sovereign US territory so the "envelope" of the US extends to them (people or crafts).

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
The President isn't going anywhere that he is not surrounded by HUNDREDS of guns...HUNDREDS! :yup: :comeandgetsome: :yup: :comeandgetsome: :yup:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
And LEOSA has nothing to do with them being able to carry inside our own borders.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There are varying agreements in place, but any further detail than that would get into OPSEC issues. Suffice it to see that those things are handled at the highest level of diplomatic channels. Federal Air Marshals go through similar channels when they work overseas flights.
Gonzo

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Care to elaborate?

LEOSA was created for local and state officers whose credentials and law enforcement authority (and, thus, their authority to carry firearms) was limited to the state where they are sworn. Federal Agents/Officers carry their jurisdiction with them wherever they go (like a turtle with its shell), so their authority to carry firearms is not limited by the States. We carry on the authority of our credentials wherever we go in the US, and don't rely on LEOSA. This would especially apply to Agents who are actively engaged in duties, such as USSS Agents working a detail.
Gonzo

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
While slightly off topic, for the military a Status of Forces agreement is made between the US government and foreign governments when we will be carrying in a country where the host nation wants us (obviously when we invade someone there isn't really an agreement).

I would imagine things are worked out at a high diplomatic level for the Secret Service kind of thing. And I'd imagine that it would go both ways with the security details for foreign heads of state, but that is just speculation.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It goes along with diplomatic immunity. We offer the same courtesy to the employees of foreign VIPs.

·
Registered
541 Posts
So....what if a foreign leader comes to the US to meet with our President. I can't imagine our SS would allow their SS around our President with firearms???????:confused:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Or allow some untrained thugs to carry while protecting a third world dictator.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another good book that explains a lot is "Standing Next to History." It was written by one of Reagan's team leaders.

·
Registered
891 Posts
So....what if a foreign leader comes to the US to meet with our President. I can't imagine our SS would allow their SS around our President with firearms???????:confused:
IIRC the USSS protects foreign dignitaries while on US soil.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
The USSS protects foreign heads of state, only. The Diplomatic Security Service protects just about every other foreign dignitary (including royals, the Dali Lama, etc) while they are on US soil, as well as protecting almost all US dignitaries when they are overseas. That said, there is usually an agreement to allow some sort of protection from the VIP's "normal" protective staff.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The Diplomatic Security Service protects just about every other foreign dignitary (including royals, the Dali Lama, etc) while they are on US soil,
I believe there is currently a DS team on the Assistant Undersecretary for Toilet Paper Distribution of the Toiletry Ministry of the Royal Island Nation of Armpitistan. :rofl:

In all seriousness, DS works some hard details. A lot of their protectees are much hated, high risk folks. Hats off to them...:congrats:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
The USSS protects foreign heads of state, only. The Diplomatic Security Service protects just about every other foreign dignitary (including royals, the Dali Lama, etc) while they are on US soil, as well as protecting almost all US dignitaries when they are overseas. That said, there is usually an agreement to allow some sort of protection from the VIP's "normal" protective staff.
I guess this is the "some are more equal than others" theory, or the "we are the big kid so we make the rules" theory.

Works for me, but maybe because I'm on the "big kids" team.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts