Defensive Carry banner

secure carry in a bag

7K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  tsaphah 
#1 ·
There are times when I desire to carry my Glock with me, but not on me. Not wanting to leave my pistol holstered in a bag that is easily accessible I began looking for options. The best thing I've run across is using this in my normal messenger style bag. This would prevent curious kids and random people from grabbing the pistol and shooting themselves or others.

• Does anyone have an opinion on this specific portable safe?
  • Any suggests on ways to secure a pistol in a bag, while leaving it semi-accessible to myself?

#2 ·
In MO we can carry in a vehicle with no permit. At WM I found a little shoulder bag made my remington. It is realtree camo and measures about 9X7. The main compartment has a divider and my 24/7 fits nicely inside useing a cheapo UM side kick holster with the retention strap and belt clip removed. It has a small front pocket that my dual mag holster fits nicely in. I tossed in a cheapo LED flash light. My primary purpose was to keep the neighbors from seeing me tote my gun back and forth from the car. I like it because it doesn't scream "gun" like a maxpedition or fanny pack but it still doesn't look like a murse.

#3 ·
I guess I don't understand why, if you can keep a pistol with you, you wouldn't want it on you?
A pistol that is on your person is a much safer pistol and eliminates the chance of leaving it someplace.
I'd work on the holster, fanny pack, or belly band route. OMO:wave:

#4 ·
I sure agree with retsupt99, on you beats off you any day.

There are several options available in the bag option though. You might check out Maxpedition and Blackhawk. :wink:

#6 ·
i would feel more secure with a gun in a sling type messnger bag that cannot be easily removed from your body...its an effective way to carry with the gun in front of you and easily accessible...

what i dont understand is locking a gun in a small safe while carrying it...making it less than accessible..

the secure it safes work well for under seat car storage where you cannot carry...i own 2 of them and am very happy with them...you get a better deal at xdpistols.com

#8 ·
I understand the bag carry thing, and I've done that once in a blue moon. I have a messenger bag that doubles as a diaper bag. Nothing like having baby wipes and butt cream next to spare mags. Anyway, my CCW was in a holster and easily accessible.

What if you need to get at your gun in a hurry? Won't your setup prevent that?

#9 ·
I've carried in a messenger bag occasionally, but prefer keeping my gun on me...

#10 ·
I usually carry on me, but on some long drives or outdoor outings I opt for my Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I don't feel it screams "gun" and no one has ever commented on it. It has a generic holster and handles my P226 and two extra magazines with ease in the mag carrier I ordered with the bag.

It also doubles well as a day-pack for trips into the big city and outings with the family.

Where I live, lots of guys carry a version of this pack, and it doesn't look like you're rockin' the ghey, either.

#19 ·
Just one note. If you are going to use a Max bag or one likei t just make sure if you are going to use it for carry on lugage for airline travel it is not hidding a small gun.

#12 · (Edited)
I lived in Europe and my fiancée lives in Verona, Italy where fanny packs are very common. I picked up one made by Lacotse™ and it’s very slim and no way looks like the abortion-bags here in the States. Its very much part of my EDC wardrobe. Admittedly, I took some heat from a gal I was dating when I took along the pack. Usually, American’s want to copy the Europeans, whereas the Europeans want to copy us. The whole 'f-bag' stigma and the associated nick-name certainly took its toll, and so the story goes...
Regards,

#14 ·
Thanks everyone that pointed me towards Maxpedition. There appear to be a few good options.

Regarding, slow draw time and why I don't carry it on my person...
While I can understand the mentality of keeping the weapon always on you, that isn't an option for everyone all the time.

Two possible situations in my life.
Scenario 1: I volunteer at my church in different capacities. While the pastor does not mind me carrying, there are times when my Glock does not conceal well enough. (2x2 basket ball, chasing kids in the nursery, at youth group, up front praying for people etc). The bag is in the room with me, and I'm not worried about someone stealing it but I also don't want to freak out random people or have a stay kid get into my bag when I'm side tracked talking to someone.

Scenario 2: My in-laws/ parents don't want me to carry at their house, and want the weapon secure so one of the 6 grand kids doesn't find it and hurt themselves. I want it accessible for when we are leaving and at night.

#24 ·
Scenario 1: I volunteer at my church in different capacities. While the pastor does not mind me carrying, there are times when my Glock does not conceal well enough. (2x2 basket ball, chasing kids in the nursery, at youth group, up front praying for people etc). The bag is in the room with me, and I'm not worried about someone stealing it but I also don't want to freak out random people or have a stay kid get into my bag when I'm side tracked talking to someone.
Get a better holster. I can tell you firsthand that a Crossbreed Supertuck lets me chase kids, play ball, pray for people, and my weekly lively stage show (preaching) plus hugging and I've never had a concern about being concealed well enough.

The bottom line is that seconds count and if you have to get to your bag and then open your safe, chances are the moment of truth has already passed.

That said, the Secure-It safe is a great safe. I have the keyed version for disarming and leaving in the car and it also makes a great place to stow when away from home.

#15 ·
I don't know what you mean by "in the room with you", but I would in no way have a loaded gun in my bag in your church play area while it is not immediately on your person. Ditto for visiting family.

In those situations, I disarm and LOCK my handgun in my COM car safe, and rearm back in the car.

If I read you correctly, your idea sounds unwise.

#16 ·
I sometimes carry my XD .45 Service in this:

It's labeled as a tactical messenger bag and It holds a lot of gear, for day trips or general knocking around. Since I have to walk with a cane, it doesn't look at all out of place, and a concealed compartment next to the body keeps the weapon secure and accessible.

#17 ·
I like the idea of a maxpedition bag for off body carry, but only in limited situations. For example, at the gym and never out of reach while working out. The rest of the time (99.9%) on me. IMHO of course.

#20 ·
All:
I appreciate the continued bag recommendations. Overall, some good recommendations.

I understand people's concerns about carrying in a bag and not on person and why there are people who say I should be carrying on me, or that it is unwise to have my firearm in my bag at the in-laws or other locations.

When I asked my question originally I purposely did not elaborate on why I wanted to secure my pistol in a bag because it was not relevant to the question. Something I've noticed in my short time lurking/ posting on DC is that many members post replies to questions with comments that give the impression of a veiled statement of questioning the intelligence of the question. Why get side-tracked defending my reasoning and arguing whether what I want to do is correct?

That said since I'm feeling ornery tonight I'll indulge a few rabbit trails with a hint of sarcasm. :argue: :smile:

When I drive 6 hours to visit the in-laws I want my pistol with me. Out of respect for them I disarm when in the house. As a rule I don't leave my firearms in my rig. That means it comes in the house with me. Yes, I could break the weapon down - but kids are smart - I'd still want to lock it up so they don't reassembly or walk off with parts. If its a good lock/ case setup than it shouldn't matter if I have a magazine loaded or not. (no one else travel and deal with this?) People talk about having a defensive weapon for the home.. my in-laws have a home.. if SHTF and I need my pistol at least all I need to do is unlock a bag/case and be ready versus re-assembling the pistol.

At church... I understand the concerns. If its truly locked away the only threat is the bag being stolen. It's something I've thought through and feel safe with my decision and feel no need to defend it further.

I get together with friends who don't want me to carry. [insert whatever sheeple reason you want]. However, in my bag/backback that I almost always have with stuff in it I can lock it away and they are fine.

Sometimes, (I know this is hard to believe) I'm with friends or family and I don't want my pistol on me. Game of touch football, quick dip in the hot tub, lounging around or (gasp!) tired of having it on me. Knowing it is safe in my bag and won't have to deal with a unintended boom would be quite reassuring.

Nope, I don't need another holster. Doesn't answer the question I originally asked or address the scenarios I mentioned.

Nope, I can't have the pistol on me or choose not to given different situations. I understand that is what most people on here recommend, but telling me that doesn't answer my original question or aid me.

#22 ·
Try these options

Check out these options I found a while back. I never bought any so I can't tell you much more, but these are what I found when I looked for a CC bag.

And these ones look pretty standard. There are a few others that I didn't include below because I never considered them. They looked too military styled for inconspicuous city use.

Conceal Carry Messenger Bag - Sport Bags,Large Duffels, luggage, backpacks, duffles, Sports bags, Netbook

MOLLE-005 - ModGear Black Messenger Bag Adjustable Shoulder Strap 4 Pockets

Conceal Carry Messenger Bag Travel Tote Range Luggage - eBay (item 220392945819 end time Dec-05-09 03:40:06 PST)

#23 · (Edited)
I have a backpack I carry around that contains all my daily stuff I need. I also typically keep in my pocket in a pocket holster a luger LCP. On a few rare occasions short overnight trips etc where I have needed to secure my firearm primarily from curious kids more so than theft and not wanting a hard case. I started using a locking bank bag like so. It is flexible, can roll it up in backpack when not in use and doesn't take up all the space of large locking case but serves the same purpose of stopping curiosity.

#27 ·
Good idea!

I started using a locking bank bag like so. It is flexible, can roll it up in backpack when not in use and doesn't take up all the space of large locking case but serves the same purpose of stopping curiosity.
Good idea volfan. I'm rough with my backpack, so I do prefer the hard case - but for those that what the soft it is good option.

#25 ·
Carry bag

Get a waist bag (AKA: belly bag) which has two compartments:
On in the rear with a zipper for the gun, and one in the front where you can have a few tools highly visible as a decoy for the gun shape.
I did this while as a TV repairman as not to alarm customers. (Yes, I had a legal carry permit)
Nobody will ask..........

#29 ·
I've got one with the combo lock and 2 that are key lock. Wife and I can fit our XD subcompact 9mm in one box together. LOVE IT!!!

One box in each car and one between the boxspring and mattress for night time.

#31 ·
If you are allowed to carry at your church, but the problem is that your Glock does not conceal well enough, get a better holster or do not take the gun with you at all. I do not consider that a loaded pistol in a portable storage safe inside in a bag is a very safe alternative. You say “This would prevent curious kids and random people from grabbing the pistol and shooting”, and that is true, but it will not prevent curious kids and random people from stealing/taking your bag. Are you really telling that you will be holding your bag while doing activities like 2x2 basket ball, chasing kids in the nursery, at youth group, up front praying for people?
And if your in-laws/ parents do not want you to carry at their house then lock the gun in a safe in the car when you visit them, and in that way you still will have it accessible for when you are leaving at night.

#32 ·
There are times when I desire to carry my Glock with me, but not on me. Not wanting to leave my pistol holstered in a bag that is easily accessible I began looking for options. The best thing I've run across is using this in my normal messenger style bag. This would prevent curious kids and random people from grabbing the pistol and shooting themselves or others.

• Does anyone have an opinion on this specific portable safe?
  • Any suggests on ways to secure a pistol in a bag, while leaving it semi-accessible to myself?
The biggest issue I see in bag carry is it's not fully accessible nor fully retained. Retention is as important as accessibility.

#33 ·
Okay, I was going to let the thread die, but I'll jump on it one last time in an attempt to close it.

I re posted to this a couple days ago to make a note that for at church I decided not to do the bag carry. I did so for historic reasons in case anyone comes by the thread later and wonders how things went.

Bag carry still have uses. I'm not locking my pistol in my car in a bad neighborhood while I visit the in-laws. It is coming in the house with me. I'm not worried about a niece or nephew stealing the bag - just shooting. It is a bad neighborhood, and since I can't carry it, at least having it beside me at night is better than nothing. It's a real world compromise.

Same goes with the gym. My bag with my wallet/ keys/ water bottle travels with me. I don't trust the parking lot not to be broken into, and the lockers down stairs are easy to break into. Why don't I just leave it in the holster? Because its the decision I've made based on what I view as risks both ways.

Yes, there is a compromise by not having it on me. Welcome to life :)
I consider the thread closed.. don't need any more advice on why what I'm doing is wrong. Thanks to those who offered suggests that solve what I asked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.