Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you secure unattended weapons in your automobile during those times you cannot carry it with you?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't - I carry. Mini Vault makes a gun vault that can be bolted to a car floor, or under a seat, that looks good. Back in the day, I would just stash it out of sight under the seat, and worry the whole time I was inside doing whatever. Nowadays I can take it with me, and not worry too much. I also don't go places I can't carry....

·
Registered
10 Posts
document safe

I bolted a sentry fire-resistant document safe under the back seat in my pickup. Handy because you can use the trucks doors to shield the act of dis-arming from the public. I only HAVE to dis-arm when going onto the local military base.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Can I see pictures of both of your set-ups and URL's to the safes you are using? This has been a question I have been mulling over in my head.

~A

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any wal-mart, staples, office depot or officemax will carry the sentry model 1100. It's big enough inside to store extra mags and a flashlight too. It fits nicely under the back seat of my pickup. its made to be bolted down. mine's bolted under the section of seat that flips up.

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
I took a trigger lock that came with one of my Kimbers and locked it to the steel cargo tie down in the cargo area of my Grand Cherokee. If I am in a questionable place I lock it there and throw a coat or something over it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Fortunately, I VERY rarely find myself in a situation where I cannot carry. For those times when I do, I usually hide the weapon under my back seat if I'm going to be separated from the car briefly and the car will be parked in an area with some degree of security.

For those times when I will be gone for extended lengths of time and/or the car will not be parked somewhere safely, I leave the weapon at home (something I dislike doing intensely).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ken, does the pistol slide around inside of it, and yes I know it is primarily used when parked, do you ever stow weapons inside while in transit? I am thinking of having something custom built for the door in the back of my Excursion right behind the spare wheel. It is readily accessible and I think would make a great hide-away.

Reason I ask about in transit is for when I travel to CA.

~A

Originally posted by KenW.
Any wal-mart, staples, office depot or officemax will carry the sentry model 1100. It's big enough inside to store extra mags and a flashlight too. It fits nicely under the back seat of my pickup. its made to be bolted down. mine's bolted under the section of seat that flips up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by Gunzer
I keep a trigger lock in the glove compartment.
I never leave my gun in the car. If I had to I would buy a sentry model 1100. If you can't afford one then use a cable lock to in addition to the trigger lock. Al least you can slow someone down that is trying to remove it from the car. Then as soon as you get the extra bucks get a sentry.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I am thinking of getting either this Sentry V260 or this Sentry V120 for my SUV. It can be bolted to the floor and I have adequate room underneath the second row sofa.

V260

V120

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a small profile gun safe that is sold on missouricarry.com. It holds my Taurus 650. Just wish they made a longer one for my 92FS. It very secure and the low profile enables me to keep it under the seat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a lock box under my passenger seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ditto armoredman.

When I weigh the relatively negligible risks of keeping the gun with me - against the potential risks of it falling into the wrong hands (whether in the car, at home - or wherever) - "unattended" is not an option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts