Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard much discussion about Glocks, M&P, XD,etc. on this forum. I like Glocks, don't deny it, but recently was called out about choosing only Glocks. They are not the only type of gun I own. This is what works for me, never had a problem with the ones I own. They have other benefits as well. Are they perfect, by no means(flame suit on). That being said I also have a great love of revolvers. I will be planning on adding more, along with 1911 pistols. One of the few benefits in being single is no explanations of your use of discretionary income. Older model guns are cool and they have a proven track record. I would carry a revolver without reservation(have one on now). I am going to have to become a student of the 1911 and train with it before I carry one as I would be new to that platform. I am sure as I age and improve with training/practice my gun choices will evolve.

·
Registered
155 Posts
agreed sir. I have recently switched to carrying a revolver. I used to carry a semi but I guess I just have bad luck with them cause I haven't had one yet that has proven unreliable enough to put my life on( except my 1911). so revolvers it is for me now I just need to practice reloading with speed strips and speed loaders. :biggrin2:

·
Super Moderator
18,901 Posts
It's admirable that you are open-minded enough to be willing to sample from all the many types of handguns.

I don't possess the greatness of character that you display so happily reside deep within the "old school" parameter.

Now if I could just get over this allergy to plastic and double-action-only triggers...

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Nothing wrong with Glocks, but you're right, some old designs are right up there with the modern. I'm not a fan of single-action only, but hey, the 1911 design has been in continuous production in some form for over 100 years and is still in competition with modern weapons. Pretty hard to beat that track record. Even revolvers have changed more in that time period.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Revolvers are more than adequate for concealed carry and defensive use. I carry a Ruger gp-100 and and a charter arms under cover for back up. The main point is to practice and become competent with the platform.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
agreed sir. I have recently switched to carrying a revolver. I used to carry a semi but I guess I just have bad luck with them cause I haven't had one yet that has proven unreliable enough to put my life on( except my 1911). so revolvers it is for me now I just need to practice reloading with speed strips and speed loaders. :biggrin2:
I would suggest searching YouTube for "Massad Ayoob revolver," if you haven't already settled on a technique for reloading. He demonstrates his preferred method, and his explanation for it makes a lot of sense.

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
Plastic guns for me don't generate any sentimentality whatsoever, unlike a lot of my walnut and blued steel guns. One reason I carry the G23 when I hike in the boonies is that if I should lose it, I won't shed a tear, I'll just replace it.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Revolvers are more than adequate for concealed carry and defensive use. I carry a Ruger gp-100 and and a charter arms under cover for back up. The main point is to practice and become competent with the platform.
Not to get off-topic, but if I may ask, do you find it difficult to conceal the gp-100? I've been thinking of going with a larger .357 to complement my snubby, but the gp seems a little TOO large at first glance.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Not to get off-topic, but if I may ask, do you find it difficult to conceal the gp-100? I've been thinking of going with a larger .357 to complement my snubby, but the gp seems a little TOO large at first glance.
My thoughts too. How does anyone conceal carry a G100? That thing is pretty durn big.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My thoughts too. How does anyone conceal carry a G100? That thing is pretty durn big.
I have a couple of the 3" GP100s. I recently got a 3" S&W Model 10 and compared them in size. Turns out that the external dimensions are almost identical. The GP's cylinder is a little bit thicker, and the full barrel underlug is something that the Model 10 lacks. The most noticeable difference is that the GP was probably about 5-6 ounces (guessing because I don't have a scale) heavier.

Funny that the 3" S&W Model 10 (or any 3" K-Frame) is commonly touted as "just about perfect" for belt carry, and the GP100 3" is seen as an unmanageable beast.

·
Super Moderator
18,901 Posts
For me it's the action of the GP 100 that I wouldn't be interested in getting used to after a lifetime of enjoying the excellent K-Frame Smith & Wesson and it's smooth action. That and the fact that the GP 100 appears thicker, heavier,"clunkier." Well... then there's the cylinder release button which to me is the worst of the three styles to manipulate when comparing Smith & Wesson and Colt to the Ruger. And the overall appearance doesn't appeal to me. And, while there is nothing wrong with the investment casting processes that Ruger touts, I'm not interested in owning a revolver with major components made of castings. Just a silly whim but forged steel has given perfect satisfaction so we're going to stick with it.

All subjective stuff and a matter of opinion only.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I see nothing wrong or shameful with going with what works. It's our very lives on the line. What works is often a bit older, or larger, or more-concealable, or stranger than the next person would choose. So what. Whatever works ... even revolvers. :gah: :tongue:

Have had a few guns where folks have questioned things, for various reasons: a snubbie revolver, a Browning BDM, an "expensive" H&K P2000SK. 1911 folks couldn't get past the BDM's "backwards" thumb safety system. Wonder Nine folks couldn't get the idea of a small revolver "pop gun." And plenty of folks have questioned the need for such an "expensive" beast as an H&K. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Plastic guns for me don't generate any sentimentality whatsoever, unlike a lot of my walnut and blued steel guns. One reason I carry the G23 when I hike in the boonies is that if I should lose it, I won't shed a tear, I'll just replace it.
Well spoken (or rather, written). I own, shoot and carry plastic but I would agree that the lack of character leaves it relegated to being only a tool. Carrying/shooting/handling the Model 19 or the Dan Wesson is a different story. Like so many things, if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I like to spead the wealth so to speak. I like 1911's Glocks Rugers Beretta's S+W's. I have at least one of each.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I'm going to have to try one of these S&W one day. I'm also going to have to try someones elses Gp100 one day. My 5 inch gp100 has a very smooth trigger. I wish my sp101 was as smooth. I dont know if Ruger spent more time on the trigger being it was a Davidson's exclusive (doubt it) or if I just got a lucky one, or if its not as smooth as I really think it is.:image035: I for one love the cylinder release button. But this also is just my opinion.:smile:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Looking back on those days I recall a greater pride in ownership. The Colt guys touted their Pythons and King Cobra's, the majority of the patrolman carried S&W's in the Model 66, 686, 19, and even Model 27 varieties and sang their praises. Later on the Ruger crowd prompted the GP100's strength and design. Custom grips were a MUST, and the fancier the wood the better. Simply put, a sixgun is a reminder of days of Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, and Doc Holliday. I have stated and still believe that revolvers are not outdated just out of fashion with today's shooters. In reality the sixgun has performed the lion's share of defensive shootings historically, even when you look at today's preference of sidearms. Before going to autoloaders I performed hundreds of arrests packin' a sixgun. The majority of those that saw the business end of my S&W were always fixated on the hollow points looking back at them. There's something to be said about the psychological affect that has on a bad guy.......

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
Plastic guns have their place, but nothing says classy like steel and wood. Doesn't matter if it is a semi or a revolver, they just have the look of class that a Glock, M&P or XD will never have.

·
Registered
43,057 Posts
I own a SIG, a Glock, a CZ, and two S&W Gen 3s in 3 different calibers (I realize having multiple calibers confuses some). I think having two of the same of anything is boring.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Good thread. I feel there is not one gun for every situation. I like the G17 for nightstand duty, but cc snubs for comfort and my ability ( through years of practice shooting an reloading) to draw an shoot quickly an on target. At my age comfort is a big thing my sp 101 disappears in my owb. 642 is like so much spare change in cargo shorts, an Mod 60 in a milt sparks summer special is invisible to anyone around me. A speed strip is less than a pocket knife on your person. To each his own, just do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts